1965 NT vs Tx.Tech Picadors Frosh' FB Game on YouTube

Amazing what you can find when you surf the YouTube net. I wish we could find something like this of Ronnie Shanklin catching that "called back" touchdown pass against the Arkansas Razorbacks in 1968.

Someone may want to tell Mean Joe about this thread featuring film footage of the North Texas freshmen football team versus Texas Tech's frosh team with this footage being a bit over 5 minutes in length.

While on the freshmen team at North Texas, Mean Joe wore #72 which (of course) later became #75 when he joined the varsity and then #75 with his Hall of Fame career with the Steelers.

So here are excerpts of the 1965 North Texas "Eagles" versus the Texas Tech Picadors (which was the name of their freshmen team) with comments by Texas Tech's Trooper Keeton

:thumbsu: Huff, if I were a betting man, I'd bet that you know many of the players on both sides of the line.

Enjoy...and by the way, check out the final score on the Tech scoreboard toward the end of the video. :)

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

They played Joe at linebacker because of his speed. One of my high school students from McKinney played in that game for TT. He said on a play wide, the tight end blindsided Joe, hit him in the chest, and bounced off with Joe making the tackle.

• Upvote 1

They played Joe at linebacker because of his speed. One of my high school students from McKinney played in that game for TT. He said on a play wide, the tight end blindsided Joe, hit him in the chest, and bounced off with Joe making the tackle.

The Irish tenor part of me almost cried when I accidently ran across this vintage video as I was surfing YouTube for past Mean Green football history. A special thanks to former Texas Tech Red Raider Trooper Keeton who posted this video.

Ad Nausem Time Again...........is there anyone who can get the video of the 1968 North Texas/Arkansas game and convert its highlights to a YouTube video? Surely UNT has film of that game in its archives and if not I just know University of Arkansas athletic officials would stumble all over themselves to let us borrow a copy of theirs. :whistling1::)

Folks, sometimes during our down cycles we just have to remind ourselves what a great 100 year football history we have at the University of North Texas and you know what the best part of all this is(?)................the best is yet to come!

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The Irish tenor part of me almost cried when I accidently ran across this vintage video as I was surfing YouTube for past Mean Green football history. A special thanks to former Texas Tech Red Raider Trooper Keeton who posted this video.

Ad Nausem Time Again...........is there anyone who can get the video of the 1968 North Texas/Arkansas game and convert its highlights to a YouTube video? Surely UNT has film of that game in its archives and if not I just know University of Arkansas athletic officials would stumble all over themselves to let us borrow a copy of theirs. :whistling1::)

Folks, sometimes during our down cycles we just have to remind ourselves what a great 100 year football history we have at the University of North Texas and you know what the best part of all this is(?)................the best is yet to come!

GMG!

GMG!

• Upvote 2

I had three teammates from Richardson High School play in this game. QB you see is Greg Langeloh from RHS who would have given Steve Ramsey( later to be a frat brother of ours) a run for his money had Greg not been severely injured in a boating accident at Lake Lewisville. Unnoticed in this version is that NTSU sent less than 30 players while TT suited up in excess of 100. This team also beat Arkansas Frosh that same year and was the basis for '66-69 teams that may have been the best teams ever @NT. Pro draftees included Joe Greene, Cedric Hardeman, Ron Shanklin, Willie Parker, Steve Ramsey, Chuck Beatty, and others.

Edited by DallasGreen
  • Upvote 3

I had three teammates from Richardson High School play in this game. QB you see is Greg Langeloh from RHS who would have given Steve Ramsey( later to be a frat brother of ours) a run for his money had Greg not been severely injured in a boating accident at Lake Lewisville. Unnoticed in this version is that NTSU sent less than 30 players while TT suited up in excess of 100. This team also beat Arkansas Frosh that same year and was the basis for '66-69 teams that may have been the best teams ever @NT. Pro draftees included Joe Greene, Cedric Hardeman, Ron Shanklin, Willie Parker, Steve Ramsey, Chuck Beatty, and others.

Who would from all of us who came to UNT as students after this group ever be kidding about any kind of debate concerning "the greatest team in North Texas history?"

With all the NFL draft choices that came from the Mean Joe Greene era in Denton they would without a doubt be the all time best team we ever fielded. Few (if any) of the present g05 schools ever produced so many #1 NFL draft choices along with all the others as North Texas did in the mid-to-late 60's.

I was lucky enough to see that North Texas Mean Green football team as a high school kid down in the greater Houston area on the ABC-TV regional Game of the Week and that was when we last beat Tulsa U.

And for all those SBC and CUSA newbies's who only recently played at a different NCAA level along with all the new upstarts, being televised in that game mean't North Texas was playing at the highest level of NCAA football as far back as the 60's, too.

If only we would have kept hiring UNT leadership who would have sustained all this at such a high level of NCAA competition we would not be a Go5 school today. We can no longer afford to take 1 giant step forward and 3 backward at UNT in today's NCAA and that's for darn sure.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

Amazing what you can find when you surf the YouTube net. I wish we could find something like this of Ronnie Shanklin catching that "called back" touchdown pass against the Arkansas Razorbacks in 1968.

That game against Arkansas was played in Little Rock, and was one of three road games I went to as a student. My seats in the "NTSU" section were low, so I thought the incomplete pass call was due to Shanklin being out of bounds on the far side from where we were sitting. When I learned it was called for trapping the ball on the ground, I did not think that was right, as I was almost at ground level. The pigs got away with a 17-15 win in that one. by the way, I doubt that any film from the press box will be able to disprove that call. It would have to be a ground level view.

• Upvote 1

I had three teammates from Richardson High School play in this game. QB you see is Greg Langeloh from RHS who would have given Steve Ramsey( later to be a frat brother of ours) a run for his money had Greg not been severely injured in a boating accident at Lake Lewisville.

I had forgotten what happened to Greg Langeloh. He was a year behind me at RHS, so I didn't see his senior year, but he had a very impressive season his junior year.

Remember, from about 1954-1964, college football was one platoon. There was one substitution allowed after each play and two on a change of possession. NTSC was playing one platoon football when I first attended. John David Crow was fullback and linebacker for the Aggies when he played. Most rubbing backs also played DB. I don't know what Abner Haynes did, but these guys were really tough.