A Country Founded By Geniuses....

So Obama was Bush's co-captain? I don't think I understand your metaphor...

You don't... he took over (as president, not captain) for the other guy.... and you or many blame the second guy who had nothing to do with the creation of the problem. [ not that hard.. think ]

• Downvote 1

You don't... he took over (as president, not captain) for the other guy.... and you or many blame the second guy who had nothing to do with the creation of the problem. [ not that hard.. think ]

I think a better analogy would have been a CEO or better yet, the head coach of a sports team.

• Upvote 2

Then your words were incorrect, co-captain insinuates that they were working as captain at the same time, which would mean that both deserve blame as they were both leading when the problem occurred.

Co-Captain — A person carrying out the duties of captain under supervision of the "pilot-in-command."

Doesn't seem like your metaphor works here.

Additionally, I never said that I blame anyone for anything, just questioning the metaphor that you are tossing out.

• Upvote 1

I think a better analogy would have been a CEO or better yet, the head coach of a sports team.

This is EXACTLY the comparison I see with the situation. Here's a little story for you guys . . .

Let's say a college football program has eight years of abysmal history. So, the coach is fired and the athletic department decides they're going to take the opposite route this go-around. The previous guy was way too much of a "hard-ass" that focused so much on offense that it killed their defense. So they went with a more relaxed coach this time, someone who gave the kids a little more freedom and lee-way but also put more of an emphasis on "positive reinforcement" and that is great at giving motivational speeches to the players.

After four seasons, the team shows very little improvement. While there were some glimmers of greatness, overall it was exactly the same program and people once again started becoming fed up. The media interviews the coaching staff and all they can say is, "Well, we're trying our best. But that last guy left this program in such sad shape that we're having trouble fixing it."

So in reality, the new coach is admitting that they hired a guy that can't fix the problem.

In this scenario though, the press actually laps it up and starts running print about it, creating stories that this program would be in so much better shape had the previous guy not screwed it all up. Despite his inability to make any progress, the media worships him because he gives inspiring speeches.

I guarantee every single fan with the slightest bit of common sense would ask why this guy hasn't lost his job yet.

-- Franchise