Cooley's All Time UNT Basketball Team

Cooley

Beat writers, I don't even remember who was there before Vito.   Galloway was a columnist for the Dallas paper and wasn't particularly kind to NT even though his daughter attended there.  

As far as coaches, I think the best coach who never gets any credit was Dan Spika.  Blakeley has to be on the list though his good teams were courtesy of inherited players. Gales would be on my list just because of longevity and a couple of good years.

It is still amazing to me that the NT two coaches with the best teams in my fandom: Dan Spika in basketball and Rod Rust in football are not in the NT Hall of Fame.  . 

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1

18 hours ago, greenminer said:

@Cooley @GrandGreen

Out of curiosity, do y'all have a top 3 or top 5 coaches list? How about beat writers? I know of Galloway, but he was way before my time as a fan.

Disclaimer: My thoughts since 1975

I don't have a strong opinion about the coaches other than the obvious ones. (Basketball: Bill Blakeley; Football: Hayden Fry) I say that because it is so hard to compare era's. In many instances, its been apples vs oranges. I've actually liked some of the coaches that didn't fair well (W-L's) and have been disappointed with others; whose performance (W-Ls) was below my expectations. As a program, we've made some bad decisions (AD). Firing too quickly or waiting too long. 

I can only speak for myself but I generally don't read beat writers. My feeling has always been why do I need to read about someone else's opinion when I have my own. If I attended a live event or watched on tv, why do I need to read about their recap. So much of what you read is slanted. They are not as critical as they need to be or too critical when they don't need to be.

I recall back in the early and late 60's & 70's, we had 2 newspapers (The Dallas Morning News and The Dallas Times Herald. (I had no interest in the Star Telegram) It was practically impossible to follow anything related to recruiting unless a recruit notified the paper of their verbal commitment. The verbal commitment was generally not provided until a few days before signing day. The actual signings were not known until the next morning or afternoon. (The Times Herald was delivered in the afternoon) As a recruiting buff, I sought out as much info as possible by attending games and hanging out in the rec centers talking to the kids and coaches. I've never been a fan of writers not digging deep to provide desired scoops to their readers. The slightest bit of information today is met with a BREAKING NEWS heading. In general, I don't care for those who write an opinion columns. They often wait until public opinion has already been formed before they jump on the bandwagon. Wasn't Bill Nichols a previous Chronicle's writer? I also remember another name if I heard it again.  

I know I'm rambling. I recall the Athletic Department providing an 800 number for anyone desiring to follow NT football recruiting. It was a 2 minute taped message about the news of the day which I called daily. The line was once answered by Dennis Parker who provided as much inside information as possible. I had to convince him that I was a huge Marshall Maverick & NT fan before he would provide info.      

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Downvote 1

On 9/2/2003 at 10:51 PM, Cooley said:

Re-post!

Cleaning out the garage. Ran across this post from a year or two ago.

Position - Player - Height - Season(s) - Hometown/School

First Team

PG - Walter "Weasel" Johnson - 6 0 - 76-77 - Houston Waltrip/McClennon JC

BG - Jon Manning - 6 3 - 78-79 - Pontiac, Mich./Ok City transfer

SF - Kenneth Lyons - 6 7 - 80-83 - Ft Worth Trimble Tech

PF - Melvin "Lurch" Davis - 6 8 - 75-78 - Greenville, TX

C - Kenneth Williams - 6 7 - 75-78 - Dallas South Oak Cliff

Second Team

- - - -

PG - Donnell Hayden - 6 1 - 1991 - N. Mesquite/Baylor Univ. Transfer

BG - Carl Jones - 6 2 - 74-76 - Wichita Falls

SF - Fred Mitchell - 6 7 - 75-78 - Amarillo Palo Duro

PF - Terry Bailey - 6 8 - 76-76 - Crandall, TX/Trinity Valley CC

C - Ronnie Morgan - 6 8 - 88-90 - Dallas South Oak Cliff

Third Team

PG - Furmia Nealy - 6 1 - 80-83 - Ft Worth Dunbar

BG - Delonte Taylor - 6 3 - 81-82 - Washington DC/TCU Transfer

SF - Jesse Ratliff - 6 6 - 91-94 - Biloxi, MS

PF - Adam Smith - 6 8 - 94-95 - Transfer

C - Sean Riley - 7 0 - 96-97 - Houston, TX

Honorable Mention

PG - Deon Alexander - 5 10 - 86-87 - Waxahachie, TX

SF - Waymond Lister - 6 3 - 76-79 - Dallas South Oak Cliff

SF - Tony Worrell - 6 7 - 85-88 - Goldsboro, NC

PF - David Miller - 6 5 - 95-97 - Lancaster, TX

BG - Chris Davis - 6 5 - 00-03 - Dallas Kimball

SF - Deginald Erskin - 6 5 - 99-00 - Gonzales, TX

Others Receiving Votes

PG - Pat Hicks - 6 1 - 80-83 - Houston, TX

PG - Ricky Roberson - 6 2 - 87-89 - Dallas Roosevelt

BG - Charles McMillian - 6 3 - 77-78 - Dallas South Oak Cliff/Tyler JC

BG - Chad Elstun - 6 3 - 96-97 -

C - John Horrocks - 7 0 - 82-84 -

C - Greg Grisson - 6 11 - 82 -

C - Graeme Anstey - 6 11 - 99 - Australia

C - Thomas Gipson - 6 9 - 91-92 - Sequin, TX/UT Transfer

Best Team: 22-4 (1975-1976) Head Coach: Bill Blakely

Asst Coaches: Jimmy Gales

Billy Tubbs

Any UNT all star team that doesn't include John Savage is incomplete. Savage played in early 60's and was second team All Conference on the  Missouri Valley . Our team wasn't very good, and we played Cincy, Bradley, Drake, Wichita just to name a few. He held his own with the very best of them and should be on your first team. Just a very old man's opinion.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1

• 1 year later...
On 9/5/2003 at 12:49 PM, Greenblood94 said:

"Although the points were not important at that time, the shot did bring the 8,800 Coliseum fans to their feet and the noise they made must have made the ghosts of the neighboring “Old Pit” raise up and take notice."

When was the last time we had HALF a crowd of 8,800 in the Super Pit??? That place would really ROCK if there were 8,800 people in it, even if not all of them were cheering for the Mean Green.

We had over 8,000+ last year. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

Since 2000:

PG: Javion Hamlet 19-20 

SG: Tylor Perry 21-22

SF: Chris Davis 01-02

PF: Jordan Williams 13-14

C : Tony Mitchell 11-12

BENCH:

Josh White 09-10

Ryan Woolridge 18-19

Roosevelt Smart 17-18 (unstoppable from 3)

George Odufuwa 09-10

Jeremy Combs 15-16

Tristian Thompson 10-11

Thomas Bell 20-21

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

Since 2000:

BENCH:

Josh White 09-10

Ryan Woolridge 18-19

George Odufuwa 09-10

Jeremy Combs 15-16

Tristian Thompson 10-11

Thomas Bell 20-21

I can agree with a ton of this.

Honeslty, kind of bittersweet to see all that mega-talent (at least 3 on this list) that got wasted under the "coaching" of he-who-shall-not-be-named.

• Upvote 2
  • Pissed 1

On 10/31/2021 at 7:34 PM, wardly said:

Any UNT all star team that doesn't include John Savage is incomplete. Savage played in early 60's and was second team All Conference on the  Missouri Valley . Our team wasn't very good, and we played Cincy, Bradley, Drake, Wichita just to name a few. He held his own with the very best of them and should be on your first team. Just a very old man's opinion.

I agree. I knew John Savage and once saw him at the airport in Philadelphia PA (i971 I believe. He was traveling to Canada to play for a pro team. We chatted about the good old days and that's the last I ever heard anything about him.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Greenrex said:

I agree. I knew John Savage and once saw him at the airport in Philadelphia PA (i971 I believe. He was traveling to Canada to play for a pro team. We chatted about the good old days and that's the last I ever heard anything about him.

I talked to a former UNT basketball player a few years ago who told me Savage was living in Delaware. He was fun to watch back in the day when the PIT was packed.

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

Since 2000:

BENCH:

Josh White 09-10

Ryan Woolridge 18-19

George Odufuwa 09-10

Jeremy Combs 15-16

Tristian Thompson 10-11

Thomas Bell 20-21

I would add Leonard Hopkins 04-05 to this team

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Ibleedgreen said:

By the way…I understand that today’s students don’t know why the Coliseum is called the “Super Pit.” Anyone want to share that story for our young readers?

"The Snake Pit"[edit]

The old Men's Gymnasium (now Ken Bahnsen Gym), an intimate 5,000-seat arena, with its low-hanging ceiling and bleachers right up against the playing surface, was known throughout college basketball as one of the toughest places for opposing teams to visit throughout the 1950s and 1960s, especially during Missouri Valley Conference games. The first row of seats were located just two feet from the out-of-bounds and baselines, leaving very little room between fans and the action.

While formally known as the Men's Gymnasium for most of its time as the home of the Mean Green, former Drake University head coach Maury John, fed up with the raucous crowd noise following a loss at the Bahnsen Gym, inadvertently gave the facility its nickname in the postgame press conference: “This is the worst damn place in the world to play basketball. It's like trying to play in a snake pit.” The name stuck, and when the new 10,000-seat arena opened across the street in 1973, university officials gave the larger venue the Super Pit name in honor of the Snake Pit.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ken_Bahnsen_Gym

Ken Bahnsen Gym | Facilities

Freshman Orientation] - The Portal to Texas History

• Upvote 1