North Texas or UNT?

Harry

Help!

Everyone that went to our university had North Texas as a part of their name. That is not true of UNT. However, to keep from being redundant UNT should be used.

"North Texas" is just such a generic name and is used to describe anything and everything within a 50 mile radius of DFW.

One of my happiest days will be when North Texas is removed from our football helmets.

Plus, it is a tradition that we change our entire branding strategy about every 5-7 years, so why not do it again and get it right this time B)

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

I prefer North Texas. I rarely say I go to UNT, I say North Texas. When I say "I'm going to the North Texas game," it usually makes it seem like that we are North Texas's team. SMU can be Dallas's, we'll be North Texas's team. All of our graduates have had North Texas on their diploma, like Texas State has always had Texas State. However, the day the name gets replaced with the eagle will be glorious.

• Upvote 2

"North Texas" is just such a generic name and is used to describe anything and everything within a 50 mile radius of DFW.

One of my happiest days will be when North Texas is removed from our football helmets.

Isn't the idea that a university with a geographical name describes the geographic area in which it lies? "Texas" describes anything and everything within a 300+ mile radius of Austin, and I don't hear alumni complaining about the name "University of Texas."

That said, I don't care for "North Texas" on the helmets, either. Interlocking NT, SOW, picture of Lee Jackson, etc. would be better.

• Upvote 1

Great post... But what I REALLY love is the out-of-context Harry quote in your signature. Excellent work.

MeanGreenTexan....what you did is just so sorry and wrong but I must admit I laughed really hard at that! +1 for evil creativity

Isn't the idea that a university with a geographical name describes the geographic area in which it lies? "Texas" describes anything and everything within a 300+ mile radius of Austin, and I don't hear alumni complaining about the name "University of Texas."

That said, I don't care for "North Texas" on the helmets, either. Interlocking NT, SOW, picture of Lee Jackson, etc. would be better.

You sure??

8758432109_6a57bf2bd9_m.jpg

• Upvote 4

Yeah, definitely our name as The University of North Texas is consistent with the current charter of the school to be "the state school that educates the North Texas region". When referencing our school to folks that just don't know much about universities other than UT and A&M, I find myself often saying "North Texas up in Denton" to give some level of reference. Actually, I seem to have more luck saying UNT and getting better recognition.

Although, I've never been in love with UNT as a branding name either, it seems to have caught-on with a lot of folks in DFW. High school kids that I know who have visited our school recently will typically say they "visited UNT" or they are "going to UNT". It's a much more specific name than "North Texas" which can mean so many things.

I would pay money (literally) to have the interlocking NT on our helmets, knowing for a few different reasons that we will never have a helmet or uniform that has "UNT"....

• Upvote 1

See nothing wrong or usual using both. Most schools use an initial as well as long form. The only thing strange is that the academic side chose to use UNT, while the athletic side uses North Texas. North Texas as a moniker is fine but it should have never been put on a helmet. RV rationale for doing so is flawed to say the best.

• Upvote 2

There is a time and a place for both/either depending upon the situation. I think the reason for the academic side to be more married to UNT is that that is our current name...but using North Texas for athletics, alumni events, etc. is that the "North Texas" part is the tie that binds together all alumni "down the corridor of years."

In terms of recognition, in the area UNT works fine but when I travel and/or mention school to people from other parts of the country, "North Texas" tends to resonate far better. To me it's kind of like when I met a lady that said she went to "USC" and I inferred Southern Cal, when it was in fact South Carolina.

So for academics and talking to people in and from the region, UNT works better. But for alumni-drawing events (including athletics which of course includes current students) and discussions with random people outside of the region/state, "North Texas" is a better fit to ensure clarity.

• Upvote 4

Plus, it is a tradition that we change our entire branding strategy about every 5-7 years, so why not do it again and get it right this time B)

Well, if that's the case, UT must have super problems trying to separate anything about Texas from university topics. We have a much better understanding that when both North and Texas are capitalized that there is a good chance that they are talking about the university.

Now, as to removing 'North Texas' from our helmets I'm right there with you.

odd...i think that UNT is generic...it's just an acronym...NORTH TEXAS to me is more specific...

Problem with using "UNT" is for those who live outside the area it doesn't mean anything. We would get confused with University of Northern Tennessee ,[assuming there is such a school]and fall into the same regional pot as UAB,USF,UCF,ETC,ETC.We are not UCLA,and until we are "North Texas" seems to be logical.