Well, at least our betting line has started off... decent.

This is the one where I would definitely bet against the line. No way that Kliff Kingsbury has a team debut with a loss to the 'Stangs, Big12 does not lose to AAC!!

I agree.
  • Upvote 1

This is the one where I would definitely bet against the line. No way that Kliff Kingsbury has a team debut with a loss to the 'Stangs, Big12 does not lose to AAC!!

I watched Arkansas State, under Steve Roberts, go into Kyle Field and beat Texas A&M in Mike Sherman's first year. It wouldn't surprise me at all if SMU wins this game and that Tech wins about 4 games this year. Tech had to gamble with Kingsbury to get thier Leach fans back on board--but the guy has never been a head coach ever. There 's a big difference between being a QB coach or OC over Case Keenum or Johnny Football and recruiting to Lubbock. I don't see this one working at well for Tech at all. They are going to look back on their days under Mike Leach as their golden years, even if they never won a conference title under him. They schedule OOC softer than most of our pillows each year, so that gives you 3 wins easy every year. They play SMU, Texas State, and SFA as their OOC schedule--that's awesome for UNT, but that's ridiculous for a Big XII school. Tech's best days are loooonnnnggg gone, and hiring a former QB who has zero HC experience from their "geinus" coach that they fired for insubordination screams desperation to me. Maybe it will work, but I suspect that Baylor, TCU, and OSU will benefit the most from Tech taking a number of steps backward from 2008.

• Upvote 1

I watched Arkansas State, under Steve Roberts, go into Kyle Field and beat Texas A&M in Mike Sherman's first year. It wouldn't surprise me at all if SMU wins this game and that Tech wins about 4 games this year. Tech had to gamble with Kingsbury to get thier Leach fans back on board--but the guy has never been a head coach ever. There 's a big difference between being a QB coach or OC over Case Keenum or Johnny Football and recruiting to Lubbock. I don't see this one working at well for Tech at all. They are going to look back on their days under Mike Leach as their golden years, even if they never won a conference title under him. They schedule OOC softer than most of our pillows each year, so that gives you 3 wins easy every year. They play SMU, Texas State, and SFA as their OOC schedule--that's awesome for UNT, but that's ridiculous for a Big XII school. Tech's best days are loooonnnnggg gone, and hiring a former QB who has zero HC experience from their "geinus" coach that they fired for insubordination screams desperation to me. Maybe it will work, but I suspect that Baylor, TCU, and OSU will benefit the most from Tech taking a number of steps backward from 2008.

Speaking with several Tech super fans, I know that they are very aware that Kimgsbury is a high risk / high reward hire, but after the coach they just had, they were more than willing to take that chance.

It reminds me of the Dodge hire and the excitement that brought to the UNT fan base. For whatever Dodge's failures (and they all were huge), he was one of the main reason I became a season ticket holder and MGC member.

Kingsbury will either be wildly successful at Tech or a complete failure. There won't be any in between. But Tech fans are wiling to take that chance to have something, anything to be excited about.

Sound familiar?

• Upvote 2

weird I don't think NT -17 points is exagerated. Sounds just about right to me, considering we got home advantage.

Also I am certainly not going to bet on this kingsbury team before I have seen a game or two. Frankly talentwise it is not supposed to be extraordinary, so even if he is able to translate his OC skills to the HC position, this could be tough in the beginning. And seeing how he handled the hiring process for his assistants I am not so sure he is really ready for a HC-position yet.

Edited by outoftown

weird I don't think NT -17 points is exagerated. Sounds just about right to me, considering we got home advantage.

I agree, though the HFA is usually only about 3 points given to the home team. So basically it's us by 2 TDs (and PATs) plus HFA. So it does sound about right, though unless Idaho is greatly improved over last year, I'd prefer to see us win by a lot more than that.

I agree, though the HFA is usually only about 3 points given to the home team. So basically it's us by 2 TDs (and PATs) plus HFA. So it does sound about right, though unless Idaho is greatly improved over last year, I'd prefer to see us win by a lot more than that.

I'd love to see us win by a point.

1 point.

I'd love to see us win by a point.

1 point.

Honestly, I'd like us to win 6 games and couldn't care less if it's by 1 point each. Hope that's where you were going with that too...though it would still be nice to get a couple of big wins ;)

Honestly, I'd like us to win 6 games and couldn't care less if it's by 1 point each. Hope that's where you were going with that too...though it would still be nice to get a couple of big wins ;)

This Idaho game reminds me of Rocky and UNT is Apollo! Just hope it is Rocky I not II!