DL Xavier Washington 6-1, 238 4.85 Cedar Hill (offer)

Harry

I love that our commits are trying to get recruits to follow.

https://twitter.com/50_unrated">@50_unrated</a> UNT Bro! Top recruiting class in the nation!

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en data-scribe-reduced-action-queue="><p><a href="https://twitter.com/50_unrated">@50_unrated</a> UNT Bro! Top recruiting class in the nation!<a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23GMG&amp;src=hash">#GMG</a></p>&mdash; Goree (@_TGoree_) <a href="https://twitter.com/_TGoree_/statuses/427515179845181440">January 26, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Edited by Rudy
  • Upvote 1

I never thought Xavier would have a decision today or tonight & probably not even this week. From reading his bio and comments, he just doesn't seem to be the kind who'd be accused of making too quick a decision.

I like our chances more today than I did last week.

Heck, as it is we've got to hold onto all those who gave us verbals for another long 2 weeks.

Poker, anyone?

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 2

So it looks like it is down to us and Houston for Xavier?

Anyone know who, if anyone, Xavier will visit next weekend, or are his recruiting trips finished?

If it is down to the 2 of us, X should really think hard about his opportunity to be in the 2 deep (if not start) as a true freshman at UNT. We lose a lot on the line, and need quality players to fill those spots. Are the same opportunities available at Houston? Don't follow their program well enough to know, but I know for a fact that those opportunities exist at UNT.

Kids get caught up in going to the more prestegious football school, not realizing that what matters is getting the most time on the field and doing the most with the time that you get on the field. Obviously, it easier to make more plays the more you are on the football field. Look at any roster in the NFL and you will see names of guys from non-power 5 schools up and down the roster. Why? Because they chose to go to a school where they could show pro scouts what they could do and didn't choose a school where there would naturally be the politics of playing the higher rated recruit. Yes, those politics do exist. (This line of thought was imparted on me by someone with far more football knowledge than I will ever have. I'm gonna miss that guy this fall).

I really hope Xavier picks UNT. I obviously dont know how the school matches for him personally, but I do know that he is just about the perfect football match, for both he and UNT.

Here is hoping he had a great visit and is at this very moment contemplating exactly how to announce his commitment to UNT.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2

We could have 3 guys with Ivy League offers in this clas if X joins Jalen Montgomery and Chris Miles. Not to mention the fact that all these commits seem very level headed and smart.

Leading the conference in all-conference players and members of the academic all-conference team would have a nice ring to it.

• Upvote 1

So it looks like it is down to us and Houston for Xavier?

Anyone know who, if anyone, Xavier will visit next weekend, or are his recruiting trips finished?

If it is down to the 2 of us, X should really think hard about his opportunity to be in the 2 deep (if not start) as a true freshman at UNT. We lose a lot on the line, and need quality players to fill those spots. Are the same opportunities available at Houston? Don't follow their program well enough to know, but I know for a fact that those opportunities exist at UNT.

Kids get caught up in going to the more prestegious football school, not realizing that what matters is getting the most time on the field and doing the most with the time that you get on the field. Obviously, it easier to make more plays the more you are on the football field. Look at any roster in the NFL and you will see names of guys from non-power 5 schools up and down the roster. Why? Because they chose to go to a school where they could show pro scouts what they could do and didn't choose a school where there would naturally be the politics of playing the higher rated recruit. Yes, those politics do exist. (This line of thought was imparted on me by someone with far more football knowledge than I will ever have. I'm gonna miss that guy this fall).

I really hope Xavier picks UNT. I obviously dont know how the school matches for him personally, but I do know that he is just about the perfect football match, for both he and UNT.

Here is hoping he had a great visit and is at this very moment contemplating exactly how to announce his commitment to UNT.

:jambak:

Please tell me you're NOT saying Xavier would be talented enough to crack the 2-deep here, but not talented enough to get in UH's 2-deep.

I think you're saying he has an opportunity because of the graduations of our 4 seniors who all were starters, but some people seem to think that if a P5 school offers a guy UNT is after, he's automatically relegated to the bench at the P5 school.

X can play anywhere. It's surprising that SEC & Big 12 schools aren't knocking down his door.

Edited by MeanGreenTexan
  • Upvote 1

Sunday is a mighty big day in the X sweepstakes. If he doesn't commit to Northwestern when they make their big push Sunday night, I don't think he ends up committing to them on National Signing Day.

Also, I think he will make his decision by Monday in order to avoid being left out in the cold. Fans won't know, but coaches for that lucky team will (if they don't already).

Sunday is a mighty big day in the X sweepstakes. If he doesn't commit to Northwestern when they make their big push Sunday night, I don't think he ends up committing to them on National Signing Day.

Also, I think he will make his decision by Monday in order to avoid being left out in the cold. Fans won't know, but coaches for that lucky team will (if they don't already).

He could also decide on signing day. More and more players do that now.

UPDATE!
I think Northwestern are apparently only entertaining 2 this weeked one of whom is the great Xavier Washington. Have no idea of the validity of the "gray shirt" offers issue.
Nick Medline is the Scout writer for Northwestern U and this is a gray shirt question directed at him:
Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Gray shirt or come play right away at UNT? Go to humid Houston or play in the middle of Dallas/ Ft Worth? I think we know the obvious choice.

A Texas HS 3 star gray shirt offer from Northwestern insults not only Xavier (in my opinion) but also Texas High School football in general.

Granted, we still don't know the full story on any of this yet, so the above statement merely represents a sports bar type of thinking out loud HSO. (I may now need a bottle of wine).

Don't Mess With Texas or Our Texas HS football stars ! I don't like to see our Texas guys receive this kind of treatment if this is how it really plays out on the gray shirt part. If it were a gray shirt offer all the time, might they have told Xavier that first before he boarded the airliner for Chicago? Or...maybe they did and he just wanted the official visit to Winter Wonderland.

Honestly, if its "only" a gray shirt, I don't see Xavier taking it.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

I think it is very clear who wants him the most. UH has 3 defensive ends already committed. Northwestern apparently can only spare him a grey shirt. Come to UNT X! We were there with a full offer from the beginning. You will be a star here and most likely will get to play right away! GMG!