DL Xavier Washington 6-1, 238 4.85 Cedar Hill (offer)

Harry

Here are his college stats: https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/xavier-washington-1.html

I think he was injured for the 2017 season.

Still, I am skeptical that he is still eligible.  He played in 2014, starting the eligibility clock ticking.  That would mean 2018 would be the last of his "5 years to play 4."  If he was also injured through the 2018 season, under the old rules he would have a good shot at a 6th year of eligibility, but I am thinking the new rules make that almost impossible.

Even if he could get the 6th year waiver...if he was injured for all of 2017 and '18, is it very likely that he will be able to contribute at a high level in 2019?

Just thinking out loud.  I wish him all the best, and if he can truly be an impact player for us, I hope we can find a way to squeeze him on our roster.

Edited by Mean Green 93-98
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, untcampbell said:

Off field incident may be a concern also. If he even has eligibility left, it would be up to the coaches to assess the chances of this player taking advantage of a second chance.

GMG

I get that he had an incident, but I’m guessing UTSA would be happy to give him a second chance.  Hope the coaches take a long look at this one.

He had his opportunity to come here and shine. He would've been a very nice piece the last few years. But he made his decision to I believe flip (or rode us along) and got lost in the shuffle in Evanston. I really wanted this guy out of HS but he chose the 'better' offer instead of the 'better choice'. For that, It's difficult to have empathy for the limelight chasers. 

• Upvote 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1

1 hour ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

He had his opportunity to come here and shine. He would've been a very nice piece the last few years. But he made his decision to I believe flip (or rode us along) and got lost in the shuffle in Evanston. I really wanted this guy out of HS but he chose the 'better' offer instead of the 'better choice'. For that, It's difficult to have empathy for the limelight chasers. 

I love North Texas and the education it has provided but it would be tough to turn down a full ride to a school with the academic reputation of Northwestern. If memory serves me, he was a good student coming out of high school and that was what swayed his decision. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1

9 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

I love North Texas and the education it has provided but it would be tough to turn down a full ride to a school with the academic reputation of Northwestern. If memory serves me, he was a good student coming out of high school and that was what swayed his decision. 

You are exactly right.  I wanted this kid coming out of Cedar Hill, but he was all class when he chose Northwestern as a life decision.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1