Tulane's 2013 football schedule holds plethora of opportunities

Harry

The Tulane football team has at least one thing going into its favor this fall in its second campaign under Coach Curtis Johnson: its schedule.

Instead of opening up with monsters in the first two weeks like it has in some seasons in the recent past, the Green Wave kicks off 2013 with SWAC opponent Jackson State and the Sun Belt’s South Alabama.

There is no SEC team on the pre-Conference USA docket and the best non-league opponents appear to be Louisiana Tech, Louisiana-Monroe and Syracuse—three teams Tulane plays in a row in September.

Within Conference USA play, Tulane will face some brand-new faces as teams North Texas, Florida Atlantic and University of Texas San Antonio join the league this fall.

5. North Texas (Oct. 5)

Can this be the homecoming opponent Tulane has dreamed of? The Green Wave will find out Oct. 5 in the Mercedes-Benz Superdome. North Texas finished 4-8 last season and 3-5 in the Sun Belt. Tulane hasn’t won a homecoming contest since 2006 but this is the weakest-looking opponent during the six-year homecoming losing streak. North Texas does return quarterback Derek Thompson, who passed for 2,649 yards and 14 touchdowns last year.

Read more: http://www.nola.com/tulane/index.ssf/2013/05/tulanes_2013_football_schedule.html

A plethora?

Non-conference foes:

2. Louisiana Tech (Sept. 12)

In a way, all of us has an El Guapo to face. For Tulane Beat Writer Tammy Nunez, knowing the members of CUSA is her El Guapo.

• Upvote 3

And here was the reply from the reporter:

Tammy Nunez‏@tammynunez14h

just posted the corrected story with LA Tech in C-USA. My apologies 4 the brain fart. Ugh!

Good of her to answer. I easily understand her mistyping, but that no one caught it surprises me. When I type credits for a kids show 3 or 4 people check them for errors!

This game may be close, but I see know reason why, at this point, we should not have a decent chance of winning it. Tulane can save their next homecoming win for their next conference.

• Upvote 1

• 4 months later...