Looks like the UNT men will stand pat (for now) with recruiting class

Harry

I checked in yesterday with the UNT men’s basketball team’s staff and then caught up with a university spokesman today.

Baring a huge surprise, UNT will stand pat with its recruiting class as the signing period comes to an end today.

UNT was really hoping that Zach Peters would sign and provide the team another option and some experience in the post. That plan fell through when the 6-foot-9 forward committed to Arizona.

As I mentioned yesterday, there are still options out there for UNT. There are high school players who could be added late like Kedrick Hogans was in August several years ago. There are also several transfers sitting out there on the market.

UNT has already picked up one transfer in Vertrail Vaughns, a George Mason transfer guard, who Tony Benford and the rest of the staff are really excited about.

So what does UNT have as we hit the end of the signing period?

Here’s a look:

Read more: http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2013/05/looks-like-the-unt-men-will-stand-pat-for-now-with-recruiting-class.html/

While it would be nice to have everything wrapped up right now, and coming up short on Peters stung a bit -- I'm ok with this strategy. If they don't see they can add anyone who they think can help them why not wait and see what comes available. Like Vito said this has happened before. I would sure feel better if they could bring in a legitimate big guy...

So is it better to leave something open for “what might come open” or should we have just signed to say we have a full load? I say if you don’t think you can sign someone who is going to help the team then it is better to leave some room in case something comes open. There will always be “projects” we can get later on.

• Upvote 1

So here is what we ended up with:

1 good HS prospect

1 JUCO

1 1 year transfer

1 HS project who avgeraged 3 pts while coming off the bench for his hs team

1 mystery HS project who left his team halfway through the season.

Glad that Benford is getting time to get his players in here

• Upvote 3

Serious question for those more involved with men's basketball than me. What "project" players have we signed in the past that turned into something special?

More serious question:

Does anyone honestly believe Venford can develop a "project" big man after what we saw him do with a NBA 1st round big man pick?

So here is what we ended up with:

1 good HS prospect

1 JUCO

1 1 year transfer

1 HS project who avgeraged 3 pts while coming off the bench for his hs team

1 mystery HS project who left his team halfway through the season.

Glad that Benford is getting time to get his players in here

Damn...not very exciting to me...

Serious question for those more involved with men's basketball than me. What "project" players have we signed in the past that turned into something special?

We've had project kids improve enough to be serviceable. None have turned into something special that I can remember.

I'll take serviceable right now.

That list that H-towngreen posted doesn't inspire a lot of confidence that we're gonna be any good next season.

• Upvote 1

Well we lost out on a PF to Texas State...

MICHA'EL EMANI GANT

"I made a final decision to sign with Texas State mainly because I was more comfortable with the coaching staff and feel like I can become a big part of their program," said Gant. "It was a tough decision for myself. I was 50/50 between Texas State and North Texas. In the end, I feel really good about my choice."

Edited by NT03
  • Upvote 1

I would really have to question if the Grant (sp?) kid still held an offer after we got the Wyoming juco forward? Why in the world would we take him? From the looks of it, and on paper at least, the play inside the pit could be fun to watch with all the talented guards. Can anyone recall a backcourt like this in recent memory? I hope everyone stays healthy, because I got to watch TJ & Vertrail in high school, hard to imagine facing a deeper team? Maybe I'm wrong, happened before, but sure seems like a lot of whining going on?!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Really? After we land an unproven JUCO, where grades are always an issue, we would just give up on another warm body down low? Couple that with two of the other bigs in this class that didn't even play full high school seasons??

We are going to have an awesome backcourt, but they can not play the 3, 4, or 5.

What makes Grant more proven than Armani? Voss was a juco all american I think I read, & the last AA we had turned out pretty good (Tramiel). You could easily start CJ, Walton, TJ, & Jordan in a 4 guard lineup with Vaughns & Alzee off the bench. Throw in a JC All American & I just don't see what the fuss is about? I was just skimming through rosters, it looks like 90% of C-USA teams played either 4 guards or a 6'5 4 man. This looks like the direction we're headed IMO.

• Upvote 2

What makes Grant more proven than Armani? Voss was a juco all american I think I read, & the last AA we had turned out pretty good (Tramiel). You could easily start CJ, Walton, TJ, & Jordan in a 4 guard lineup with Vaughns & Alzee off the bench. Throw in a JC All American & I just don't see what the fuss is about? I was just skimming through rosters, it looks like 90% of C-USA teams played either 4 guards or a 6'5 4 man. This looks like the direction we're headed IMO.

What's this guy's IP address?

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

IP address lol... I only get on here once in a blue moon, but I'm fascinated by the negativity in EVERY SPORT of my alma mater? I got a chance to see Zach almost 50 times because my wife used to teach him (&Julius fwiw), took an interest in him coming here. Really was hoping he did, but you're nuts if you think any of us would turn down the chicks in Tucson. I Got on & was shocked, sad thing is there's only about 6-7 guys that are always making the same argument. Ive met this staff before & seem like nice guys who've had success. DM me and I'll gladly trade information sir. But for the rest of us that have better things to do, like a tee time, go mean green!

• Upvote 3

IP address lol... I only get on here once in a blue moon, but I'm fascinated by the negativity in EVERY SPORT of my alma mater? I got a chance to see Zach almost 50 times because my wife used to teach him (&Julius fwiw), took an interest in him coming here. Really was hoping he did, but you're nuts if you think any of us would turn down the chicks in Tucson. I Got on & was shocked, sad thing is there's only about 6-7 guys that are always making the same argument. Ive met this staff before & seem like nice guys who've had success. DM me and I'll gladly trade information sir. But for the rest of us that have better things to do, like a tee time, go mean green![/

Fore!

But, honestly, the UNT ladies match up very well against those Arizona co-eds you mention. If the Arizona co-eds made the deal, then Zach more than likely needs to see his local eye doctor as the kid is no seeing anywhere near 20-20. Is that a side effect of those concussions maybe?

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1