UH to leave the AAC?

10Eagle10

Note that it says "Houston has expressed interest in joining the Big 12 in the near future." Not that the Big 12 has expressed interest in adding UH in the near future. There are many others that the Big 12 would look at before UH. It doesn't add anything to it as the Houston market is already captured.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

If one could go back in time in an H.G. Well's kind of time machine and if TCU were presently in this conglomeration called CUSA/AAC does anyone else think the Froggies would want exclusivity (once again) by joining the Mountain West Conference? Some programs like TCU think on their feet about such things; that is, positioning and advancing themselves while others just don't have that capability or want'ability. It seems with this present NCAA FBS crowd of schools if you are not in an upwardly mobile mode then you are going to stay where you are or worse be retreating in due time.

I applaud UH or any school for thinking ahead (or outside the usual box) about better things for their program no matter how silly this may sound now. After all, how many of us 2 years ago would have thought TCU would be leaving the MWC for the Big 12?

GMG!!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 3

Not going to happen,UT Austin wants nothing to do with U of H plain and simple.

Only reason this could happen is the Big 12 lost Houston as a city to the SEC

Very astute observations. I think, for the most part, Texas wants nothing to do with Houston the school, except Texas very much needs Houston the city. UH to the Big 12 makes as much, or more, sense than Rutgers and Maryland to the B1G. If TCU can do it, surely Houston can too.

The nutless bovines should be terrified of UH when they recall all those times they were being blown out by Jack Pardee's cougars

• Upvote 1

UT pulls higher tv ratings in Houston than A&M does for many games. The Big XII hasn't lost Houston.

I'd be curious about the conference as a whole. I think there's a legitimate fear of A&M rising to prominence, if that happens they will continually steal market share. Plus, who does ESPN have more love for?

• Upvote 2

This actually has more legs on it than you think.

I'm leading one of the discussions on this over at Coogfans (contrary to popular belief, I'm actually one of the higher rated posters over there) , so I'm pretty on top of the smoke that's been coming up. I'm not sure what I can and can't say for obvious reason, so I'll just explain in a nutshell. Fpr starrters, UT has lost great share of footing in Houston and East Texas to A&M and the SEC. Bringing us in returns a lot of Big 12 interest in the area.

Next thing, there is a war in the state legislature between Perry and his cronies and UT lead by Powers. Don't forget that UH has the 3rd most political power in the legislature, so our alumns, politicians and financial backing are quite crucial to UT's cause so they want our help along with Tech's in order to put a formidable defense against Perry. UT's logic is having 3 of the largest schools in Texas (UT, Tech and UH) as Big 12 schools which in turn isolates A&M and punishes them athletically and politically.

I can also tell you that talks have indeed been confirmed by our folks within Athletic Department. Ever heard the saying "The enemy of my enemy is my friend"? That's basically what's going on here.

Also, we did have Pac 12 officials attend our final game at Robertson vs Tulane which increase The Big 12's interest in us as well, considering that they do not need another major conference in Texas and most certainly not the largest city either. We have also increased our basketball arena renovation spending by 10-15 million more dollars, so this may have been the reason for doing so. It is said that there were a handful of men in suits on campus today (presumably Big 12 officials) looking at our Student Union (which has been in the process of being rebuilt, remodeled and expanded which will be done and ready to open in January 2014. The reason we were able to receive the funding and green light to go through with this while UNT has not is because of our political power, something that your administration really needs to work on).

We also have until June 30th, to announce our leave to another conference and bail without paying exit fees or be stuck with a $10 million exit fee.

ANother thing the folks we have planted in the legislature has made our Tier I status clear (us, UT and A&M are the only ones with Tech closely behind) which has also satisfied the academic interests of The Big 12 as well.

Of course, take all of this with a grain of salt. Nothing is set in stone yet but sat the same time, don't underestiate how deep our pockets really are and what connections we do have when the time comes to play politics. :)

Let me know if you have any questions or you guys are welcome to read our discussion or the one on The Big 12's board

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=215&f=2804&t=11552764

Edited by Cougar King
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 5

This actually has more legs on it than you think.

I'm leading one of the discussions on this over at Coogfans (contrary to popular belief, I'm actually one of the higher rated posters over there) , so I'm pretty on top of the smoke that's been coming up. I'm not sure what I can and can't say for obvious reason, so I'll just explain in a nutshell. Fpr starrters, UT has lost great share of footing in Houston and East Texas to A&M and the SEC. Bringing us in returns a lot of Big 12 interest in the area.

Next thing, there is a war in the state legislature between Perry and his cronies and UT lead by Powers. Don't forget that UH has the 3rd most political power in the legislature, so our alumns, politicians and financial backing are quite crucial to UT's cause so they want our help along with Tech's in order to put a formidable defense against Perry. UT's logic is having 3 of the largest schools in Texas (UT, Tech and UH) as Big 12 schools which in turn isolates A&M and punishes them athletically and politically.

I can also tell you that talks have indeed been confirmed by our folks within Athletic Department. Ever heard the saying "The enemy of my enemy is my friend"? That's basically what's going on here.

Also, we did have Pac 12 officials attend our final game at Robertson vs Tulane which increase The Big 12's interest in us as well, considering that they do not need another major conference in Texas and most certainly not the largest city either. We have also increased our basketball arena renovation spending by 10-15 million more dollars, so this may have been the reason for doing so. It is said that there were a handful of men in suits on campus today (presumably Big 12 officials) looking at our Student Union (which has been in the process of being rebuilt, remodeled and expanded which will be done and ready to open in January 2014. The reason we were able to receive the funding and green light to go through with this while UNT has not is because of our political power, something that your administration really needs to work on).

We also have until June 30th, to announce our leave to another conference and bail without paying exit fees or be stuck with a $10 million exit fee.

ANother thing the folks we have planted in the legislature has made our Tier I status clear (us, UT and A&M are the only ones with Tech closely behind) which has also satisfied the academic interests of The Big 12 as well.

Of course, take all of this with a grain of salt. Nothing is set in stone yet but sat the same time, don't underestiate how deep our pockets really are and what connections we do have when the time comes to play politics. :)

Let me know if you have any questions or you guys are welcome to read our discussion or the one on The Big 12's board

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=215&f=2804&t=11552764

Amazing. People who couldn't handle North Texas' academics are privy to insider info at UH. That speaks volumes.

• Upvote 1

Amazing. People who couldn't handle North Texas' academics are privy to insider info at UH. That speaks volumes.

I like the way he is a daft prick 95 percent of the time and then tries to get enthusiasm out of a discussion he is interested in. Reminds me of the the tactics a small man that beats a woman and then calms down and says I love you so let's talk...

Edited by UNTexas

Under this logic we're being considered for the SEC since we had Vandy officials that came to look at our FB stadium. They were so impressed they asked to see our entire campus.

• Upvote 3

Well here's a crazy theory. Maybe this is why SMU, after all these years, has agreed to a 12 year series with us. Maybe they know that there is a good possibility that they will lose their Texas-based conference mate, and they need a replacement until they figure out what they are going to do.

• Upvote 1