Zach Peters Commits to Arizona

Harry

Zach Peters, the former Plano Prestonwood Christian and Kansas forward who visited UNT this month, has passed on an offer to play for the Mean Green.

Peters will instead head to Arizona.

I talked to a source close to the situation earlier today who said it was likely down to UNT and Arizona. Oklahoma was likely out of the picture at that point.

Peters hasn’t said much of anything throughout the process.

He declined comment when I got in touch with him after he visited UNT.

The Peters-UNT match made a ton of sense. Peters is 6-foot-9 and is the type of rebounder and defender UNT needs with Tony Mitchell heading to the NBA. And UNT seemed like the perfect place for Peters to start over after it didn’t work out at Kansas, due largely to a series of injuries he suffered after high school.

Read more: http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2013/05/peters-passes-on-unt.html/

If you were even a marginally high thought of big man why in the world would you come here after the season TM just had? Sure we can offer all the minutes you'd want.... a player of TM's caliber had those same minutes last season and floundered.

In my head that's going to be the crippling recruiting hurdle I don't see Benford overcoming.

Edited by Green P1
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Too bad. Thought UNT had a great shot...guess that was true, but came in second to Arizona. With his past decimal issues, I thought he would want to e closer to home than Arizona.

Why Arizona I wonder? What made the difference for him I wonder. And, no, this is not a question for folks here as we have ZERO knowledge of this situation. All the blah, blah, blah it's Benford would just be a bunch of the same from a bunch of the same. Hopefully, Peters will mention what made Arizona the place for him to continue his career.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Too bad. Thought UNT had a great shot...guess that was true, but came in second to Arizona. With his past decimal issues, I thought he would want to e closer to home than Arizona.

Why Arizona I wonder? What made the difference for him I wonder. And, no, this is not a question for folks here as we have ZERO knowledge of this situation. All the blah, blah, blah it's Benford would just be a bunch of the same from a bunch of the same. Hopefully, Peters will mention what made Arizona the place for him to continue his career.

I only come to the internet for facts. Speculation is for the tailgate and people who appear on Family Feud.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 2

Some kids would rather come off the bench at a high major than potentially be an impact starter at UNT. Kansas is actually closer to Plano than Arizona. As stated earlier, returning to Kansas was not an option.

Fran Fraschilla@franfraschilla3h

Former KU recruit Zach Peters has committed to Arizona. Could be a very good role player/banger on team that needs some 4-year guys.

• Upvote 1

I have to wonder how many minutes he will really get at Arizona.... I wonder if he will regret this decision later. We have a spot to fill and that player if good enough will get all the minutes they want!

I can't believe I'm gonna say this, but I agree with Andrew. Peters left KU because of ongoing concussion reasons. He comes back home to get his health back in check and be close to his family. He gets that cleared and Kansas, who is bringing in a while new group of starters says "Don't bother...". So it would seem UNT made a ton of sense. He will not play much at Arizona, I'll guarantee it right now. Arizona has some talented big men and recruits big time. He'll be a backup for the rest of his career. Here, he would've started and gotten to be close to home. This isn't so much a win for Arizona as it is a loss for UNT. He could have helped here bigtime; in Arizona, he'll just be a bit player.

I can't believe I'm gonna say this, but I agree with Andrew. Peters left KU because of ongoing concussion reasons. He comes back home to get his health back in check and be close to his family. He gets that cleared and Kansas, who is bringing in a while new group of starters says "Don't bother...". So it would seem UNT made a ton of sense. He will not play much at Arizona, I'll guarantee it right now. Arizona has some talented big men and recruits big time. He'll be a backup for the rest of his career. Here, he would've started and gotten to be close to home. This isn't so much a win for Arizona as it is a loss for UNT. He could have helped here bigtime; in Arizona, he'll just be a bit player.

A bit player with a legit chance at a conference championship and a Final Four appearance. On it's best day NT has a no chance at a CUSA championship or a berth in the NCAA tournament. Maybe an NIT or another of the tournaments where you have to pay to play. Can't blame the kid.

In all seriousness GreenP, if TM didn't have such a bad reputation for work ethic out of high school than I would understand... But how many times have you heard someone say "all that talent, but..." Kids are smarter than you think, and if they aren't, we're probably better off without em... IMO only of course. I hope he does figure it out, will be fun to see in an NBA uni!!! Rockets preferred hahaha

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

In all seriousness GreenP, if TM didn't have such a bad reputation for work ethic out of high school than I would understand... But how many times have you heard someone say "all that talent, but..." Kids are smarter than you think, and if they aren't, we're probably better off without em... IMO only of course. I hope he does figure it out, will be fun to see in an NBA uni!!! Rockets preferred hahaha

Ya, terrible work ethic that led to the A/B honor roll his first semester at UNT.

Terrible work ethic that led to Freshman of the Year in the Sun Belt and averaging over 14 points and 10 rebounds per game in his first half season. The only other player wiith those numbers in 2012 went #1 in the NBA draft.

I guess everyone on the team had a terrible work ethic last year because, as I pointed out in a previous post, EVERYONES numbers were down in Benford's 1st year, not just Mitchell's.

But keep on keeping on with the character assasination bit. Some in the AD would be proud of you.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1