North Texas "updates" Non-Con through 2025

Taking nothing away from our AD who had to play the biggest part on UNT's behalf in this surpising SMU football series extension but does Dr. Bill Lively being (or having been) on the UNT System staff help with our (seemed) new era of open dialogue with the Hilltop?

Dr. Lively formerly worked for SMU and was probably one of their most high profile movers and shakers. In fact, I wonder if he's on our new president search check list? :rolleyes1:

GMG!

PS: Both SMU and UNT home stadium crowds at Ford and Apogee will be impressive & significantly increased--with both teams hopefully in simultaneous winning cycles there will be sellouts with this series. We need to start winning now!

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Gentlemen -- we now have a true hardcore rivalry game! Finally after 100 years!!

Don't kid yourself -- getting this series is huge for us. Probably one of the most memorable games in my time of following the program is that 1990 game in Denton after they were coming back from the death penalty. Fouts was sold out for that game and the atmosphere was amazing.

There were a smattering of games after that, one where Woody Wilson led us to a great victory in Fouts. I also remember one in the Dodge era where I remember us having a nice crowd in their new stadium. You have to think that played a part in this. We will make a strong showing especially if our program is winning games.

It's just a huge step forward to the attractiveness of the program to have this series in place. When you combing this with our new C-USA schedule which includes a lot of potential Texas rivals it really makes things fun it raises the value of a season ticket. In fact I would bet they require you to buy a season ticket to get good seats to the SMU games which makes sense. There is just a deep hatred/respect/passion for competing against SMU that many of our alums share. We're the guys on the other side of the tracks trying to prove ourselves against the rich kids so to speak. The great thing is that this is a mutually beneficial series in that it helps SMU with their biggest issue: filling their stadium. Kudos to RV and the AD for making this happen! GMG!

I love the SMU rivalry, I'm totally excited to bring this back. I've never really experienced it, but this is fantastic. We need a rival and I think this gives us the chance to build a rivalry with SMU. And, heck, we get an extra home game on the odd years.

Edited by meangreener
  • Upvote 1

Plumm, I think Dr. Lively left North Texas a while ago.

You are right upon further Bing review and this 1970 grad of UNT is a big loss to our UNT System admininstration IMHO.

He has a superb network of friends in high places in Big D and the Metroplex; we could do a lot worse than Bill Lively as the new UNT president (if he were interested, that is).

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

I like the SMU series alot, but I hope that the AD is still working on other higher named programs to bring to Denton, too.. Adding someone else of major note each year is what the folks attending games at Apogee deserve. I like Army as an OOC opponent, but the same thing applies. Getting SMU to agree to a 12-year deal is just huge, though. I never thought that I would see the day that they would agree to that kind of series with us. It appears that they have some worries about the continuations and stability of the TCU series, which really is too bad, even if we are greatly benefitting. SMU is smart to watch their backside with a deal like this, just to keep at least one more OOC game here in the area.

I'll actually do something that I haven't done in a while--thanks RV. Thats' good scheduling.

Dr. Lively is still deeply involved with the University (especially with the current fundraising campaign), but he actually wants to retire. Don't worry, he is very much still around.

Alumni and the administrations of both schools have been working together for some time now with the understanding that the only way we can even keep up with the Texas-es of the world is by owning our market, and that having three teams that don't play each other just means that we divide a very lucrative pie. It would be nice if the third leg of the stool also realized this.

UNT and SMU have a lot in common - and (aside from the usual message board stupidity and historical arguments that have long since passed) are very much interested in using their differences to help the DFW area as a whole.

Now if you want to see a real dysfunctional relationship, try UTA and UTD.

Taking nothing away from our AD who had to play the biggest part on UNT's behalf in this surpising SMU football series extension but does Dr. Bill Lively being (or having been) on the UNT System staff help with our (seemed) new era of open dialogue with the Hilltop?

Dr. Lively formerly worked for SMU and was probably one of their most high profile movers and shakers. In fact, I wonder if he's on our new president search check list? :rolleyes1:

GMG!

PS: Both SMU and UNT home stadium crowds at Ford and Apogee will be impressive & significantly increased--with both teams hopefully in simultaneous winning cycles there will be sellouts with this series. We need to start winning now!

GMG!

Plumm, I think Dr. Lively left North Texas a while ago.

He left right after the GL2G rebranding campaign (which was the only reason he was hired) to go help Development with National Geographic or something like that.

You are right upon further Bing review and this 1970 grad of UNT is a big loss to our UNT System admininstration IMHO.

He has a superb network of friends in high places in Big D and the Metroplex; we could do a lot worse than Bill Lively as the new UNT president (if he were interested, that is).

GMG!

Superb network and friends aside, I wouldn't want him as President. I was in a few meetings with him at the Murchison when we were putting together the announcement for the rebranding, and let me tell you: lots of talk, little substance.

I'm still bummed over Rawlins pulling a Pope on us - he's been a superb President.

• Upvote 1

This is natural rivalry that puts much needed fans in the seats. Only a bizarre self-centered pettiness that doesn't understand that what is good for the whole is also good for the part would want to undermine this series. Believe me, that pettiness is out there.

Dr. Lively is still deeply involved with the University (especially with the current fundraising campaign), but he actually wants to retire. Don't worry, he is very much still around.

Alumni and the administrations of both schools have been working together for some time now with the understanding that the only way we can even keep up with the Texas-es of the world is by owning our market, and that having three teams that don't play each other just means that we divide a very lucrative pie. It would be nice if the third leg of the stool also realized this.

UNT and SMU have a lot in common - and (aside from the usual message board stupidity and historical arguments that have long since passed) are very much interested in using their differences to help the DFW area as a whole.

Now if you want to see a real dysfunctional relationship, try UTA and UTD.

Don't think this is correct. The Bill Lively part that is....Bill Lively is now in Washington, DC raising funds for the National Geographic Society. Has been for some time now, and has not been working on the capital campaign for awhile now. I wish he were as his Roladex is a good as it gets! Good guy and did some very good things while at UNT.

• Upvote 1

This is great news...some of the best NT games that I have attended have been against SMU.

Want to sell more seats at Apogee? We needed this....big plus for both schools

More regional OOC home games needed vs Houston, Baylor, TCU, Tech, K-State, etc...

• Upvote 1

I was reading the thread about this over on Ponyfans. More of them like the series than don't. Of course they expect to win every game, but so do we. A few are still convince they are superior, but there are more who think we will be good competitors. They are more upset over the possibility (many think probability) the SMU-TCU game series is dead.

I think this is going to be the series we've always wanted it to be. This is going to be tough - don't discount them - but competitive.

• Upvote 1