UNT Updates Future Non-Conference Schedule Through 2025

Harry

he North Texas Mean Green have updated their non-conference football schedule through the 2025 season. The schedule was listed in their 2013 Spring Prospectus.

The most prominent addition to their future schedules is a game at Tennessee in 2015. North Texas will visit Neyland Stadium in Knoxville on Nov. 7, 2015. The game will be the first meeting between the two schools since the Mean Green upset the Volunteers 21-14 in 1975.

North Texas has also added several additional games against Army and SMU. The Mean Green will now play Army home-and-home each season from 2016 through 2021 for a total of six games.

The North Texas-SMU series, dubbed the “Safeway Bowl,” resumes next season in Denton and then each year through 2025. The two rivals will meet in Denton in even years and in Dallas in odd years.

According to news reports, the name “Safeway Bowl” was created in 1994 after then North Texas head coach Matt Simon became frustrated trying to schedule SMU. “I’d like to play because I think we could beat them, and my players feel the same way. If they’d like to play on a Safeway parking lot … just give us a date and time.”

Read more: http://www.fbschedules.com/2013/05/north-texas-updates-future-non-conference-football-schedule-through-2025/

LINK TO COMPLETE NON CONFERENCE SCHEDULE THROUGH 2025: http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa/sun-belt/north-texas-mean-green.php

Wait , so we signed another 6 year deal w/ SMU?? Nice

Basically starting next year we will have a 12 consecutive year series with SMU - 6 games in Denton and 6 games in Dallas, starting in Denton and alternating until the 12th year when we finish the series at SMU -- great move by both AD's. Hopefully TCU will follow suit..

I have a feeling the SMU game at home next year may well break the attendance record at Apogee...it's not a season home opener (we play @Texas the week before) but man you gotta think that early it will be a nice crowd.

Basically starting next year we will have a 12 consecutive year series with SMU - 6 games in Denton and 6 games in Dallas, starting in Denton and alternating until the 12th year when we finish the series at SMU -- great move by both AD's. Hopefully TCU will follow suit..

I have a feeling the SMU game at home next year may well break the attendance record at Apogee...it's not a season home opener (we play @Texas the week before) but man you gotta think that early it will be a nice crowd.

Would it be too much to ask setting up a round-robin style of series where UNT, SMU and TCU all play each other every season and then have some kind of rivalry trophy or something that goes to the team with the best head-to-head(to-head?) record afterward? Kind of like Army-Navy-Air Force do except minus the military part.

I think that would be pretty awesome. Call it like the Metroplex Meleé or somesuch.

Okay, so it's late at night and I'm wrapping up a work shift -- if you've got a better idea, let 'er rip!

-- Franchise

• Upvote 2

Would it be too much to ask setting up a round-robin style of series where UNT, SMU and TCU all play each other every season and then have some kind of rivalry trophy or something that goes to the team with the best head-to-head(to-head?) record afterward? Kind of like Army-Navy-Air Force do except minus the military part.

I think that would be pretty awesome. Call it like the Metroplex Meleé or somesuch.

Okay, so it's late at night and I'm wrapping up a work shift -- if you've got a better idea, let 'er rip!

-- Franchise

I would rather see setting up a trophy for the SMU series similar to the red river rivalry

• Upvote 2

I would rather see setting up a trophy for the SMU series similar to the red river rivalry

So the trophy for the Safeway Bowl would be what...the Box of Cheerios?

Funny thing about Tennessee. Wouldn't schedule us until 40 years after the big upset. How awesome would it be if Mac had us back to our 70's level of competition again?

Some cocky suckers over there for a program that, aside from a couple of crappy bowl appearances and two TCU upsets, has done squat over the last 25 years.

I really hope we throttle them at least seven times.

-- Franchise

Edited by TheFranchise
  • Upvote 2

Don't bother reading through that tripe. Let me summarize:

UNT (although most of them call us NTSU) sucks.

TCU is scared of the all-powerful SMI.

SMU delusional posters thinking they will get an invite to a big 5 conference.

Blah, blah, blah...

The only reasonable thing in that thread is their fans seem to understand scheduling flexibility much better than ours.

• Upvote 1