The following is a recap from North Texas Head Coach Tony Benford’s speech at the UNT Coaches Caravan stop held at the Royal Oaks Country Club in Dallas, Texas on May 7th, 2013.

After an introduction from UNT Athletic Director Rick Villarreal: Benford said that he appreciated “Coach V’s” support but after a long meeting today he told RV, I’m a big guy – of course I need to drop some pounds and I’m working on that (audience laughter) – but no, what I said was coach, I can take care of myself -I’m a big boy and I’ve been doing this a long time and I know what it takes to win and what I have to do to get this program to the level that we aspire to be at. He personally thanked Ernie Kuehne (called him the Godfather of North Texas basketball) and Julie (wife of David) Anderson from Texas Capital Bank who helped to set up the event to the applause of the crowd. He said he appreciated everyone's support and would do his very best to build a program they could be proud of.

On the new Ernie Kuehne practice facility: The facility is phenomenal, what Mr. Kuhne and others have done for us is unbelievable from a recruiting standpoint. We have a building that we can sell. The one thing I tell recruits all the time is we are going to invest in them, not only as a person but also on the court in terms of their game. With the new practice facility – there’s no excuses. With the facilities we have and the new Jumbotron and some other things that we’re doing there are no excuses. We have a phenomenal institution – we just have to get the word out and we’re doing that.

read more:

" In Tony’s defense and Roger’s defense – those guys gave great effort all season, they were positive they kept working and they never quit. That’s one of the things I am proud about is that these guys never quit this season. "

They gave great effort? Don't let some of our fans hear you say that.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

" In Tony’s defense and Roger’s defense – those guys gave great effort all season, they were positive they kept working and they never quit. That’s one of the things I am proud about is that these guys never quit this season. "

They gave great effort? Don't let some of our fans hear you say that.

You obviously have no understanding of the game of basketball, where the most important stat is FEPM.

Facial expressions per minute.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2

Lots of "they never quit" out of RV and Benford last night. Both played up the win over Arkansas State.

I'm admittedly not a huge follower of basketball. I'm short and white and was raised in a suburb filled with mainly short and white people. So, basketball wasn't so much on the radar in the neighborhoods where we roamed as children.

However, I feel like I know this much: If the bar is set at beating Arkansas State, then the bar is pretty low.

RV also confused me by saying Benford is a good job despite the circumstances. I guess that meant injuries. But, again, with me not following basketball as closely as football, wasn't this supposed to have been the deepest, most experienced, most talented bunch we'd seen in years?

• Upvote 2

RV also confused me by saying Benford is a good job despite the circumstances. I guess that meant injuries. But, again, with me not following basketball as closely as football, wasn't this supposed to have been the deepest, most experienced, most talented bunch we'd seen in years?

Last year, we had 8 or 9 scholarship players available in Hot Springs. I can't remember which, but it was one or the other, because in 2012 and 2011, we had 8 and 9 scholarship guys available, too. And in 2011, the 8 or 9 we had available were seriously compromised by lingering injuries, too.

In 2012, injuries and ineligibilities crippled our roster most of the season. We gave a walk on starter minutes, our backup point guard played almost 40 minutes per game for 60% of the season. That adversity led to a very disappointing year. We only won 18 games and came up a minute short of the NCAA tournament. THAT was injuries and lack of depth causing us to underachieve.

Last year, we lost 20 games. 20 games. 20 games. 20 games 20 games 20 games 20 games. We lost to a D-2 school in the second game of the season. We got swept, home and away, by ULM. We lost in the first round of the conference tournament (for the first time in 7 years? 8 years?) by 19 points to a coach who, in 3 years, has a grand total of zero other SBC tournament wins.

Even at our weakest, we had Alzee available at the 1 or 2, Jordan Williams, Roger and Tony, and our head coach's own recruit running the offense. And we lost 20 games. 20 games!

Injuries might explain a .500 finish, with that roster playing 20 games against the Sun Belt. But we lost 20 games. Injuries or slumping might excuse away one OR another of just that condensed list of catastrophes, but not all of them combined in one season. It's not a good job under those or any other circumstances when every passing month just seems to bring a new disgrace.

My unhappiness with Benford goes beyond on court performance, so that record and the repeated attempts to justify it aren't really even my biggest issue. And I'm not trying to pee in the cornflakes of anyone trying to be optimistic about our short term prospects for improvement. Whatever helps people rationalize renewing tickets or following the program... Great. Keep hoping for the best under Benford if that optimism can keep you around long enough for a change that could mean actual hope for the future.

Realistically, though... We seem to have made the absolute worst kind of bad hire. And no amount of finger crossing and prayer is likely to save us from our grim and seemingly inevitable future. My only flicker of hope is some faint possibility of a change within the next year.

However, I feel like I know this much: If the bar is set at beating Arkansas State, then the bar is pretty low.

A few times in the past, you jokingly praised me as a potential lawyer in training because of contract/buyout stuff with Dodge and a post I made about the NCAA expelling Penn State outright.

You're not a basketball guy, but this shows you've got potential.

We spent a decade building a program. In just one year, we've fallen to a point where we're resorting to publicly praising and justifying hope based on an end of season home win in a game (the outcome of which was meaningless to our opponent) against a conference opponent who finished the regular season 18-11.

Our roster is a revolving door, our own fans are split over whether we can realistically expect any immediate improvement from a 20 LOSS SEASON.

The bar isn't low. It fell off and rolled into a ditch.

A few times in the past, you jokingly praised me as a potential lawyer in training because of contract/buyout stuff with Dodge and a post I made about the NCAA expelling Penn State outright.

You're not a basketball guy, but this shows you've got potential.

We spent a decade building a program. In just one year, we've fallen to a point where we're resorting to publicly praising and justifying hope based on an end of season home win in a game (the outcome of which was meaningless to our opponent) against a conference opponent who finished the regular season 18-11.

Our roster is a revolving door, our own fans are split over whether we can realistically expect any immediate improvement from a 20 LOSS SEASON.

The bar isn't low. It fell off and rolled into a ditch.

Again a great post.

I wish Benford and RV would have just said "last season was completely unacceptable, from the players' performance, to the coachs' performance, to the AD. We know this, and it won't happen again."

Instead, we get the same old tired excuses while rumors about players are floated by members of the AD.

Just step the F up and take responsibility.

• Upvote 3

Again a great post.

I wish Benford and RV would have just said "last season was completely unacceptable, from the players' performance, to the coachs' performance, to the AD. We know this, and it won't happen again."

Instead, we get the same old tired excuses while rumors about players are floated by members of the AD.

Just step the F up and take responsibility.

Is there an opportunity for supporters to speak at these functions?

Last year, we had 8 or 9 scholarship players available in Hot Springs. I can't remember which, but it was one or the other, because in 2012 and 2011, we had 8 and 9 scholarship guys available, too. And in 2011, the 8 or 9 we had available were seriously compromised by lingering injuries, too.

In 2012, injuries and ineligibilities crippled our roster most of the season. We gave a walk on starter minutes, our backup point guard played almost 40 minutes per game for 60% of the season. That adversity led to a very disappointing year. We only won 18 games and came up a minute short of the NCAA tournament. THAT was injuries and lack of depth causing us to underachieve.

Last year, we lost 20 games. 20 games. 20 games. 20 games 20 games 20 games 20 games. We lost to a D-2 school in the second game of the season. We got swept, home and away, by ULM. We lost in the first round of the conference tournament (for the first time in 7 years? 8 years?) by 19 points to a coach who, in 3 years, has a grand total of zero other SBC tournament wins.

Even at our weakest, we had Alzee available at the 1 or 2, Jordan Williams, Roger and Tony, and our head coach's own recruit running the offense. And we lost 20 games. 20 games!

Injuries might explain a .500 finish, with that roster playing 20 games against the Sun Belt. But we lost 20 games. Injuries or slumping might excuse away one OR another of just that condensed list of catastrophes, but not all of them combined in one season. It's not a good job under those or any other circumstances when every passing month just seems to bring a new disgrace.

My unhappiness with Benford goes beyond on court performance, so that record and the repeated attempts to justify it aren't really even my biggest issue. And I'm not trying to pee in the cornflakes of anyone trying to be optimistic about our short term prospects for improvement. Whatever helps people rationalize renewing tickets or following the program... Great. Keep hoping for the best under Benford if that optimism can keep you around long enough for a change that could mean actual hope for the future.

Realistically, though... We seem to have made the absolute worst kind of bad hire. And no amount of finger crossing and prayer is likely to save us from our grim and seemingly inevitable future. My only flicker of hope is some faint possibility of a change within the next year.

Come on Tasty. You know you're hearing about those injuries from years past from some guy who heard it from some other guy. It's all third hand information.

they don't open it up for questions, but all the coaches are around before and after mingling with the fans...

• Upvote 1

they don't open it up for questions, but all the coaches are around before and after mingling with the fans...

Going on some jeremiad at a function like these seems like standing up at a wedding when the officiant asks whether anyone objects to the marriage.

No matter how valid your points or emphatic your opinions might be.. It's not the time or place. People are there to have a good time and get enthusiastic about the program.

Tact requires you bite your tongue and just know the divorce is inevitable.

Going on some jeremiad at a function like these seems like standing up at a wedding when the officiant asks whether anyone objects to the marriage.

No matter how valid your points or emphatic your opinions might be.. It's not the time or place. People are there to have a good time and get enthusiastic about the program.

So Clayton Williams it?

• Upvote 4

Bingo.

Yes and no..not so much at the two I attended this year, but in the past there has often bee a Q&A. But, do you really think what gets posted here would get asked in person and in public? Silly fellow....

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

They opened it up for questions at the last stop (Fort Worth).

Really? The folks who don't attend these events say that NEVER happens. Those who have seen the Q&A at these events from time to time...well, we must have just imagined it. Come on now...don't be bursting any bubbles with a few actual facts. It's not the time or place after all.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1