Steelers legend Joe Greene retires from front office job

Harry

Joe Greene today left his third job with the Steelers for a third time, and it looks as though this retirement will be permanent.

The Steelers announced that the Pro Football Hall of Fame defensive lineman has retired after nine years working for Kevin Colbert as a special assistant for pro and college personnel.

Voted by fans the best player in their history and considered their most important by team chairman Dan Rooney, Greene played all 13 of his NFL seasons for the Steelers after Chuck Noll made him his first draft pick as their coach in 1969 from North Texas State.

He returned to them in 1987 as defensive line coach under Noll and served in that position for five years. Colbert then hired him as his special assistant in 2004. In Greene's 27 years working for the Steelers, he earned all six Super Bowl rings.

"I was very fortunate to have worked for the Steelers, the Rooneys and Chuck. I know without a doubt the reason I got a job with Pittsburgh for coaching was because of Chuck. He trusted me as a guy who hadn't coached before and he thought I had the wherewithal to do it. I think he was right, I know he was right," Greene said, adding, "The Steelers have influenced everything I've done as an adult."