What will it take to raise attendance

Harry

Does anyone even read the DMN anymore? Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one left who still gets home delivery.

I read the DMN everyday including seeing the story on Abbe in Friday morning's edition....but to be consistent with the times I found out about it first much earlier on gmg.com!

• Upvote 2

I hate saying this but we should look at TCU to figure how to raise attendance. SMU's highest attended game was when they played TCU. TCU's attendance is almost double UNT's and SMU's.

Another thought. The Dallas Mavericks were #2 in attendance this season. http://espn.go.com/nba/attendance How is that possible? I know they are pro team, but this was a season that was basically meaningless very early.

For those who missed it, SMU went to TCU to ask for help on getting better attendance, recruiting, you name it. Then when SMU "beat" TCU with a slew of awful calls, TCU said basically, "you're on your own now, stop asking for help". Now, the CUSA officiating was what led to that, and of course we can't be sure if they were trying to play favorites or just made bad calls in that game (and yes, I know it's our new conference, let's hope we don't have to deal with a problem like that). But this make me want to know...why SMU and not us? Are we on awful terms with TCU? Or are we just too "proud" to talk to them about what worked so well, where SMU wasn't? If UNT and SMU both said to TCU, "hey, you've obviously done some things really well lately to get moving where we want to go," is there a reason they would say yes to SMU and no to UNT?

Several years ago, I went to see North Carolina Wesleyan play Furrum College. At halftime, they had a drawing for a quater side of beef. Maybe we should try that, too?

Are you out of your mind? We would have to wade though PETA protesters and vegans just to get to the game.

However, 25 lbs of Tofurkey might get some of the music and art students to show up.

I can cook anything. I'd take either! But yes, let's get some more cross-promotions. An old idea just popped into my head, new topic forthcoming.

• Upvote 1

For those who missed it, SMU went to TCU to ask for help on getting better attendance, recruiting, you name it. Then when SMU "beat" TCU with a slew of awful calls, TCU said basically, "you're on your own now, stop asking for help". Now, the CUSA officiating was what led to that, and of course we can't be sure if they were trying to play favorites or just made bad calls in that game (and yes, I know it's our new conference, let's hope we don't have to deal with a problem like that). But this make me want to know...why SMU and not us? Are we on awful terms with TCU? Or are we just too "proud" to talk to them about what worked so well, where SMU wasn't? If UNT and SMU both said to TCU, "hey, you've obviously done some things really well lately to get moving where we want to go," is there a reason they would say yes to SMU and no to UNT?

I can cook anything. I'd take either! But yes, let's get some more cross-promotions. An old idea just popped into my head, new topic forthcoming.

I wouldn't think that having a school like TCU actually coach us on how to get better attendance would be necessary, since what they do is generally pretty much open to observation by anyone. Then again I've never been a marketing guru so who knows.

• Upvote 1

I wouldn't think that having a school like TCU actually coach us on how to get better attendance would be necessary, since what they do is generally pretty much open to observation by anyone. Then again I've never been a marketing guru so who knows.

SMU could say the same thing, but they went out of their way to try to form a relationship with the TCU AD to help improve their model of athletic success. I don't see any reason why we should be "above" talking to other schools about what worked well in certain areas...a bit of camaraderie can go a long way, and if we're humble enough to open the lines of communication and they're open enough to lend us a hand, I don't see why it's a bad thing.

• Upvote 1

Does anyone even read the DMN anymore? Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one left who still gets home delivery.

Me too foutrouts, but more may still take it than we may think, and it is on line. We just need something effective to get old grads to come back and visit their campus and see

all the changes that have taken place. Winning is required to keep them coming, of course, but a serious promotion in DFW for something like Homecoming, for example, could get them up here and perhaps spark an interest or re-kindle one in their Alma mater. There are old grads out there who only remember Denton as as dry and rather boring little town with dorms full of women with 10:50 curfews. Some of those old coots might be pleasantly surprised at what a fun and interesting place this has become. Lets get them up here before they die off. Push the A Train. Its safe and dependable. Who knows, some of them might even join the Mean Green Club and the Alumni Association.

Paying attention to what SMU is doing to improve attendance is like asking Ron Jeremy for virginity advice.

...and ignoring everything going on around us is...well, exactly what we usually do. I don't think we're at the "we don't need ideas or advice" stage quite yet.

The list of "great" fanbases - in ANY sport - that got there without winning is very, very short.

The Cowboys of the last 10 years, the Cleveland Browns, the Chicago Cubs, Detroit Lions of the top of head. There are more I just don't care enough to post them.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

SMU could say the same thing, but they went out of their way to try to form a relationship with the TCU AD to help improve their model of athletic success. I don't see any reason why we should be "above" talking to other schools about what worked well in certain areas...a bit of camaraderie can go a long way, and if we're humble enough to open the lines of communication and they're open enough to lend us a hand, I don't see why it's a bad thing.

Good point. Pretension is never a good idea when one has very little to be pretentious about.

• Upvote 1

The Cowboys of the last 10 years, the Cleveland Browns, the Chicago Cubs, Detroit Lions of the top of head. There are more I just don't care enough to post them.

The Cowboys won a lot of goodwill with fans with those FIVE Super Bowls... which was my point.

Also, thanks for letting me know you didn't care enough to post by posting that you didn't care enough to post.

• Upvote 1

Things that boost attendance:

1. Winning

2. A history of winning

3. Game day experience for families

4. Game day experience for students

5. Game day experience for alumni that makes them wish they were students again

6. Beer sales at the game

7. Half time entertainment

8. Give a-ways, t-shirt cannons

9. Free tailgating stuff; BBQ, beer, music

10. Baby oil bounce house

• Upvote 2

Things that boost attendance:

10. Baby oil bounce house

Thanks for reminding me...who's coming to my place next weekend? I need to know how many thongs to buy.

• Upvote 1

Those are all pro teams. Can you think of any examples that might compare to a college team?

The quick answer is no...

Also, asking TCU for help in getting attendance and support going like they have is probably unnecessary. TCU has Ft. Worth on its side and is a big town that has only them as its major university. Their students and alums are usually from money. NOne of those apply to us in Denton. We share Denton with another big school in town, Texas Womans, and the city isn't real interested in college sports.

To me, SMU won't get anywhere with any of this either. Dallas is a pro sports town first, a BIg XII town second. Ft. Worth looks at itself as its own town, with a little more connection to the Rangers than anyone else, but TCU is their hometown team. Dallas-ites don't look at SMu that way, even if the folks at Belo want you to believe otherwise.

Pushing the A Train is great in theory. But remember, revenue from parking helps support the athletic department.

Good point, Green Dozer, but 1-35 is going to be very difficult for the next few years. Our past is often our future and our future is rail.

• Upvote 1

Everyone knows we have to win and win big, but the athletic department and Coach Mac need to continue to get the students out to the games the way they did at the beginning of last season. I hope the issue with our fight song is over. That freshman class that showed up at the beginning of last season needs come back as sophomores and sing our fight song with pride, and lead by example. The new freshman class will need them on game day.

• Upvote 5

Promotions never seem to work. Although last season, I had two occasions were people with discounted tickets managed to be in my seats stating that they thought it was open seating. So I guess they work to some extent.

In the beginning which unfortunately is where NT basically is after a hundred years of football, winning, opposition and weather are the major factors in attendance. Once you build up a winning tradition than those factors are still paramount but less important.

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 1

Some thoughts about looking over at TCU and what they've done:

Don't discount the genius of Gary Patterson. That dude can take a 2* recruit at halfback and talk him into playing linebacker and then the dude becomes an All-American two seasons later. He feeds off of finding guys that "couldn't quite make the cut" at schools like Texas, Oklahoma, LSU and A&M and bringing them in to shine at TCU.

As far as attendance, it wasn't until 2010 that they really started consistently selling out games. That game against Utah was a madhouse, though.

They started small. They won games against the teams on their schedule. Then, they started "competing" in the road games where they were expected to get throttled. Then come 2005, they opened the season and put themselves on the map by stunning Oklahoma in Norman -- something NO team was able to do for a long time back then.

It's easy to look over at TCU and what they've done right and want to do it, but the "doing it" part is far easier said than done. If it was that easy, you'd see a lot more schools succeeding the same way. Granted, I'd love to see the Mean Green follow a similar path (and it CAN happen). While they did work hard and do a lot to set themselves up for success, they had a lot of good fortune too.

All that to say, if a couple of good breaks go our way and the athletic department puts in the work of marketing this thing a little bit, Mean Green football could get HUGE.

That ends my little rant for now.

-- Franchise

Edited by TheFranchise
  • Upvote 1

Some thoughts about looking over at TCU and what they've done:

Don't discount the genius of Gary Patterson. That dude can take a 2* recruit at halfback and talk him into playing linebacker and then the dude becomes an All-American two seasons later. He feeds off of finding guys that "couldn't quite make the cut" at schools like Texas, Oklahoma, LSU and A&M and bringing them in to shine at TCU.

As far as attendance, it wasn't until 2010 that they really started consistently selling out games. That game against Utah was a madhouse, though.

They started small. They won games against the teams on their schedule. Then, they started "competing" in the road games where they were expected to get throttled. Then come 2005, they opened the season and put themselves on the map by stunning Oklahoma in Norman -- something NO team was able to do for a long time back then.

It's easy to look over at TCU and what they've done right and want to do it, but the "doing it" part is far easier said than done. If it was that easy, you'd see a lot more schools succeeding the same way. Granted, I'd love to see the Mean Green follow a similar path (and it CAN happen). While they did work hard and do a lot to set themselves up for success, they had a lot of good fortune too.

All that to say, if a couple of good breaks go our way and the athletic department puts in the work of marketing this thing a little bit, Mean Green football could get HUGE.

That ends my little rant for now.

-- Franchise

Great summary man. Enjoy reading your thoughts on here.

Me too foutrouts, but more may still take it than we may think, and it is on line. We just need something effective to get old grads to come back and visit their campus and see

all the changes that have taken place. Winning is required to keep them coming, of course, but a serious promotion in DFW for something like Homecoming, for example, could get them up here and perhaps spark an interest or re-kindle one in their Alma mater. There are old grads out there who only remember Denton as as dry and rather boring little town with dorms full of women with 10:50 curfews. Some of those old coots might be pleasantly surprised at what a fun and interesting place this has become. Lets get them up here before they die off. Push the A Train. Its safe and dependable. Who knows, some of them might even join the Mean Green Club and the Alumni Association.

As an all coot who remembers that time, I think you may be surprised at what was going on at NT in the 60's. Far from the boring little town you envision.

• Upvote 2

As an all coot who remembers that time, I think you may be surprised at what was going on at NT in the 60's. Far from the boring little town you envision.

I am not saying WE were boring, but the town would have been a pretty boring place without us. I spent too many years on Dean Dickey's hit list ( add an s if you like) to consider my college years anything but, oh lets just say, "eventful".