Star UNT athlete to transfer to Texas

Harry

And while this is a little off the radar for most UNT fans, it looks like UNT is going to see one of its star athletes in the Olympic sports realm leave the program.

I received a tip today that swimmer Kimmy Phillips, who became the first swimmer in program history to compete in the NCAA Championships, this fall is transferring to Texas.

Read more: http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2013/05/friday-afternoon-notes-peters-update-star-unt-athlete-to-transfer-to-texas.html/

Hmmmmm, well...THAT sucks. Do the Olympic sports folks have to sit out a year if they transfer to another D-1 program? I would guess so, but this just sucks for UNT. I know Texas has a strong program so good luck to Kimmy,. I know this stuff happens both ways, but, darn...just darn!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

It's kind of a double edged sword. When you lose head coaches to Texas LSU, and Vandy. it means you are hiring the right people. When you lose star players to those same type of programs,it means you are recruiting the right type of athletic.

• Upvote 2

hmm. I do not think she will need to sit out a year, but curious why RV would release her to even visit UT or talk with the coaches.

Transfers happen all the time but this one hurts, but in some ways not surprising, the Big schools love cherry picking the smaller schools extraordinary athletes.

Not sure but think that in most sports that have equivalency scholarhips (partial ships), athletes can transfer without setting out a year. However, I don't think any other universities can talk to an athlete without obtaining permission from the athlete's current school. I wonder why any represenative of NT would have granted that permission. That may sound hard for the athlete, but why should lower level schools serve as recruiting areas for the upper tier athletic programs?

• Upvote 1

hmm. I do not think she will need to sit out a year, but curious why RV would release her to even visit UT or talk with the coaches.

Transfers happen all the time but this one hurts, but in some ways not surprising, the Big schools love cherry picking the smaller schools extraordinary athletes.

Curious as to how the53rd ranked university in the nation and 3rd largest in Texas is considered " small "

She was the first here in our history to qualify for NCAA's in swimming/diving. Paper said many in her family went to UT, so she was probably here for the coach. Also, the facilities probably played a role as we had to host our meet in Rockwall. And if she didn't want to stay, Sorry, don't think RV had a valid reason to block her from UT, just makes us look bad when we don't even compete with UT for the most part.

• Upvote 1

She was the first here in our history to qualify for NCAA's in swimming/diving. Paper said many in her family went to UT, so she was probably here for the coach. Also, the facilities probably played a role as we had to host our meet in Rockwall. And if she didn't want to stay, Sorry, don't think RV had a valid reason to block her from UT, just makes us look bad when we don't even compete with UT for the most part.

What would you think a valid reason is? Sorry, there is no difference in her and any other athletes when it comes to transferring. UT didn't want her until she proved how good she was and now will welcome her with open arms.

Now none of us probably know the inside story, maybe the coach had indicated he wouldn't block a transfer when she was recruited, but based on average circumstances; I see no reason any school should feel obligation to let a national juggernaut recruit their athletes.

I guess if all our football players for instance expressed a desire to transfer to UT, NT should just ok contact with UT because they had really always wanted to go there.

It is a tricky situation, no one wants to keep an athlete here that doesn't won't to be here. However, why make it easier for athletes in track, softball, and swimming to transfer to perceived greener pastures. Seems like a good way to kill a building program.

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 1

What would you think a valid reason is? Sorry, there is no difference in her and any other athletes when it comes to transferring. UT didn't want her until she proved how good she was and now will welcome her with open arms.

Now none of us probably know the inside story, maybe the coach had indicated he wouldn't block a transfer when she was recruited, but based on average circumstances; I see no reason any school should feel obligation to let a national juggernaut recruit their athletes.

I guess if all our football players for instance expressed a desire to transfer to UT, NT should just ok contact with UT because they had really always wanted to go there.

It is a tricky situation, no one wants to keep an athlete here that doesn't won't to be here. However, why make it easier for athletes in track, softball, and swimming to transfer to perceived greener pastures. Seems like a good way to kill a building program.

No inside story here, we lost our's and her coach to Utah ( NT's coach left for Utah). That's why I said she was here for the coach. My opinion only. Have no idea, nor do you, that she was looking ahead to UT when she came to begin with. Besides, I wish the juggernauts wanted to take our athletes, means we would be winning around here. She may or may not be the only athlete to transfer to UT, but if she isnt't the list is not to long. Whatever. Edited by Green Dozer

No inside story here, we lost our's and her coach to Utah ( NT's coach left for Utah). That's why I said she was here for the coach. My opinion only. Have no idea, nor do you, that she was looking ahead to UT when she came to begin with. Besides, I wish the juggernauts wanted to take our athletes, means we would be winning around here. She may or may not be the only athlete to transfer to UT, but if she isnt't the list is not to long. Whatever.

So we should be honored the great UT wanted a NT player? I don't like powers in whatever sport being able to cherry pick NT athletes, and if these equivalency ship sports there is no penalty to those leaving. It is rare for NT to have an athlete that good but it does happen. Two of the best distance runners ever at NT, King and Debbie Thornhill transferred to Baylor after their freshmen years. More recently NT record holding sprinter Talley went to his ideal school LSU. It is not a numbers thing but when you lose your very best than it does matter to a program.

I wish Phillips luck, I am sure it was not an easy decision for her to make. I just don't think NT is obligated to release an athlete just because they want to leave or do I believe that NT would have looked bad for not doing so. There is a penalty to full scholarship athletes for transferring for a reason, it keeps the strong from doing exactly what UT is doing in the Phillips' situation.

• 3 weeks later...

UT is one of the top destinations (also Michigan as well) to go if you have legitimate Olympic asperations for swimminmg. If the goal is to reach the highest possible, the Olympics, UT with their established program and limitless resources is a hell of a draw. I am sorry, but UNT just can't compete with UT in the realm of swimming. I love UNT, but I can't fault her for transferning.

• Upvote 1