Texas State gives Franchione new, 5-year deal

Harry

San Marcos, Texas – Texas State University president Denise M. Trauth and athletic director Larry Teis announced Thursday that head football coach Dennis Franchione has agreed to a new five-year contract with the university. Under terms of his new agreement, Franchione remains at his current salary until Feb. 2014, when it increases to $400,000 for the remaining years.

“Coach Franchione has been a strong leader for our program, increased visibility, generated a high level of enthusiasm and instilled a strong work ethic for student-athletes on and off the field, ” said Dr. Trauth. “He also has helped guide the program into the coveted ranks of the Football Bowl Subdivision.

There has been great buzz about being elevated to the top level of college football, and we expect more good things as our program grows.”

Franchione has guided the football program through its transition to the NCAA Division I FBS level and the Bobcats join the Sun Belt Conference in 2014 after playing one season in the WAC and one year as an independent in the first two years since he returned to Texas State in Jan. 2011.

During the last two seasons, he built a solid foundation for the school’s transition by signing a pair of recruiting classes rated as the best in the WAC in 2012 and tied for best among Sun Belt Conference teams in 2013.

On the field, he led Texas State to a 6-6 record as an independent in 2011. Last season, Texas State gained national attention with its first FBS victory since 2000 and posted one of the top five upsets in college football history with a 30-13 victory at Houston after entering the game as a 34-point underdog. The Bobcats also played in front of the largest crowd to attend a football game at Bobcat Stadium and battled five bowl-eligible teams in 2012 when Texas State’s strength of schedule ranked among the top 16 teams in non-BCS automatic qualifying conferences.

The Bobcats also won their first Western Athletic Conference game against Idaho, and closed the season with a victory over New Mexico State in the final WAC regular season football game in conference history.

Franchione enters his 28th season as a collegiate head coach in 2013. He owns a career record of 197-115-2 and an overall 23-23 mark in four seasons at Texas State. He enters next season as one of the top six active winningest NCAA Division I FBS coaches in terms of total victories.

Throughout his career, Franchione’s teams have garnered nine conference championships, one divisional title, and played in nine bowl games, four NAIA playoff games and one NCAA Division II playoff contest. His record also includes four 11-win seasons, six 10-win campaigns, eight 9-win seasons and a 45-game regular season winning streak.

He is a two-time National Coach of the Year, a two-time finalist for the Paul “Bear” Bryant National Coach of the Year Award in 2000 and 2002, and been named a conference or regional Coach of the Year 10 times.

He is a two-time National Coach of the Year, a two-time finalist for Paul “Bear” Bryant National Coach of the Year Award in 2000 and 2002, and been named a conference or regional Coach of the Year 10 times.

Read more: http://austin.ynn.com/content/top_stories/291765/texas-state-gives-franchione-new--5-year-deal

San Marcos, Texas Texas State University president Denise M. Trauth and athletic director Larry Teis announced Thursday that head football coach Dennis Franchione has agreed to a new five-year contract with the university. Under terms of his new agreement, Franchione remains at his current salary until Feb. 2014, when it increases to $400,000 for the remaining years.

Coach Franchione has been a strong leader for our program, increased visibility, generated a high level of enthusiasm and instilled a strong work ethic for student-athletes on and off the field, said Dr. Trauth. He also has helped guide the program into the coveted ranks of the Football Bowl Subdivision.

There has been great buzz about being elevated to the top level of college football, and we expect more good things as our program grows.

Franchione has guided the football program through its transition to the NCAA Division I FBS level and the Bobcats join the Sun Belt Conference in 2014 after playing one season in the WAC and one year as an independent in the first two years since he returned to Texas State in Jan. 2011.

During the last two seasons, he built a solid foundation for the schools transition by signing a pair of recruiting classes rated as the best in the WAC in 2012 and tied for best among Sun Belt Conference teams in 2013.

On the field, he led Texas State to a 6-6 record as an independent in 2011. Last season, Texas State gained national attention with its first FBS victory since 2000 and posted one of the top five upsets in college football history with a 30-13 victory at Houston after entering the game as a 34-point underdog. The Bobcats also played in front of the largest crowd to attend a football game at Bobcat Stadium and battled five bowl-eligible teams in 2012 when Texas States strength of schedule ranked among the top 16 teams in non-BCS automatic qualifying conferences.

The Bobcats also won their first Western Athletic Conference game against Idaho, and closed the season with a victory over New Mexico State in the final WAC regular season football game in conference history.

Franchione enters his 28th season as a collegiate head coach in 2013. He owns a career record of 197-115-2 and an overall 23-23 mark in four seasons at Texas State. He enters next season as one of the top six active winningest NCAA Division I FBS coaches in terms of total victories.

Throughout his career, Franchiones teams have garnered nine conference championships, one divisional title, and played in nine bowl games, four NAIA playoff games and one NCAA Division II playoff contest. His record also includes four 11-win seasons, six 10-win campaigns, eight 9-win seasons and a 45-game regular season winning streak.

He is a two-time National Coach of the Year, a two-time finalist for the Paul Bear Bryant National Coach of the Year Award in 2000 and 2002, and been named a conference or regional Coach of the Year 10 times.

He is a two-time National Coach of the Year, a two-time finalist for Paul Bear Bryant National Coach of the Year Award in 2000 and 2002, and been named a conference or regional Coach of the Year 10 times.

Read more: http://austin.ynn.com/content/top_stories/291765/texas-state-gives-franchione-new--5-year-deal

We should re-visit this at the end of the year. We may regret yet another non-hire.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

We should re-visit this at the end of the year. We may regret yet another non-hire.

In its simplicity, what you said, coupled with the article quoted above, makes me think about the hiring philosophy. Could it be "We're not looking for flat-out winners; we're looking for people who turn losing into winning."? If so, there are many ways to consider the origins of this but the question remains: Are we concerned that someone who is "too used to winning" would walk out before turning a program around, whereas those who have fought to do the same elsewhere will stay the course?

In its simplicity, what you said, coupled with the article quoted above, makes me think about the hiring philosophy. Could it be "We're not looking for flat-out winners; we're looking for people who turn losing into winning."? If so, there are many ways to consider the origins of this but the question remains: Are we concerned that someone who is "too used to winning" would walk out before turning a program around, whereas those who have fought to do the same elsewhere will stay the course?

No one "walks out" before they win. They have no other head coaching offers until they win.

Maybe we don't hire them because they won't accept losing, and we aren't committed to winning?

Just a thought.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I think that Mac is a good coach and I am hoping for the best, but not hiring Francione will always be a mystery to me.

Franchione was my favorite at our last coaching hire. I also liked Leavitt and the Pirate but each of those two had some encumbrances.

My only negatives with McCarney were that it took him a very long time to turn the program around at Iowa State and that he had always been at a BCS program. But, one superlative for Mac is the enthusiasm that he generates. He will meet with any group virtually anytime, anywhere. I don't think that Dan realized the malaise that grips most of the NT alumni. There has been improvement across the board but if this sleeping giant ever awakens it will be due to winning. I haven't given up on him yet but this year is critical. Six or more wins and I believe that we pick up some additional fans and donors. Less than six wins and the fair weather fans are gone.

I think that Franchione is the better coach but McCarney's enthusiasm might be better for North Texas in the long run.

• Upvote 3

Franchione was my favorite at our last coaching hire. I also liked Leavitt and the Pirate but each of those two had some encumbrances.

My only negatives with McCarney were that it took him a very long time to turn the program around at Iowa State and that he had always been at a BCS program. But, one superlative for Mac is the enthusiasm that he generates. He will meet with any group virtually anytime, anywhere. I don't think that Dan realized the malaise that grips most of the NT alumni. There has been improvement across the board but if this sleeping giant ever awakens it will be due to winning. I haven't given up on him yet but this year is critical. Six or more wins and I believe that we pick up some additional fans and donors. Less than six wins and the fair weather fans are gone.

I think that Franchione is the better coach but McCarney's enthusiasm might be better for North Texas in the long run.

Mac's enthusiasm is only better for UNT if he WINS. Jury is still out on that one. They will have a verdict in December.

Not writing Mac off, but I do wonder if Coach Fran would have been able to take advantage of the improved facilities and recruit better than Coach Mac has done so far.

Fran was a known and proven brand in Texas. Coach Mac wasn't.

This season will tell the tale.

So they were 6-6 against mostly FCS in 2011 and 4-8 with a weak FBS schedule last year and he gets a 5-year extention? We go 5-7 and 4-8 and want to fire Mac. Maybe we do have some expectations here.

Good point. I do believe, however, that this coming season is critical.

So they were 6-6 against mostly FCS in 2011 and 4-8 with a weak FBS schedule last year and he gets a 5-year extention? We go 5-7 and 4-8 and want to fire Mac. Maybe we do have some expectations here.

How long have we been playing FBS football?

Did we beat Hpuston last year?

Did we beat anyone that mattered last year?

Texas St. Has the same record against a weak FBS schedule that we had against a weak FBS schedule.

Texas St. Had 3 wins against FBS competition. We had three wins against FBS competition.

Texas St. and UNT's season were about dead even, with Texas St. having one media head turning win to UNT's zero.

And Texas State was playing theor FIRST season in FBS football. We are playing our 87th.

Now do you get the extension?

Come to think of it, I do prefer Mac's refreshing enthusiasm to Francione's irritating smugness.

No one "walks out" before they win. They have no other head coaching offers until they win.

Maybe we don't hire them because they won't accept losing, and we aren't committed to winning?

Just a thought.

That's actually kind of where I was going with it, though the concern I was addressing was along the lines of "Big School X will pay me more to be an assistant again and they actually want to win, and Other School Z is building a new program with a lot of excitement and I could go there, but this place doesn't have either of those things, so I'm not messing around here anymore." I would hope that that would ever be the case, but can't help but wonder if that might have been what one or more "somebodies" were thinking by not hiring some of the guys we missed out on. I was just trying to make it sound less negative the way I originally put it.

• Upvote 1