Jump to content
  • Welcome to GoMeanGreen.com!

    Thank you for visiting us!  Registering is easy and free, and provides you with the ability to participate in the discussions along with many cool features and content.

NCAA recruiting rule changes spark divisions


Recommended Posts

In Gilman School football parlance, it’s called recruiting fatigue. After guiding the Baltimore-based Greyhounds for 16 years, Biff Poggi can immediately recognize the symptoms. First, the college coach calls, wondering why Recruit X switched off his cell phone’s voice mail, or why his Facebook account lay dormant for several days. Poggi then approaches the player, asking about a broken phone. “No,” the player typically responds. “I’m just tired of talking.”

Thursday, the NCAA Board of Directors will meet in Indianapolis to reconsider legislation deregulating communication between coaches and recruits. Seventy-five schools requested an override of the initial proposal, which eliminated phone call limitations and overturned periodic bans on text messaging. Last week, the board also suspended two other proposals that lifted restrictions on which staff members can recruit and which printed materials they can send to prospects.

The issue has frustrated many since the Board of Directors initially tried to simplify the NCAA’s rulebook by passing 25 changes last January, including the contentious deregulation measures. Big Ten coaches and athletic directors issued a collective statement expressing “serious concerns” about their “adverse effect.” Maryland football coach Randy Edsall called it “ridiculous.” Towson’s Rob Ambrose appreciated the reform effort, but said he “hasn’t met a single person who’s in favor of it.”

The Board of Directors can either “maintain its action on the proposals” or “rescind the proposals,” according to an NCAA press release. If it passes, most athletic officials and coaches forecast an unregulated environment in which recruits are bombarded with calls, letters and text messages. Speaking at the Football Bowl Association annual meetings,

NCAA President Mark Emmert defended the action. Monitoring calls and text messages, he said, was virtually impossible.

“I think the NCAA is going to find out that this is going to be a disaster with kids,” Poggi said. “However, they can’t control it anyway, which is why they’re opening it up. The reasons the rules are coming down is because they can’t enforce them, but it will wind up backlashing onto the kids, which is what always happens. The kids wind up getting the short end of the stick always.”

Read more: http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/highschools/ncaa-recruiting-rule-changes-on-phone-calls-and-texts-spark-divisions/2013/05/01/057932ea-b28c-11e2-9a98-4be1688d7d84_story.html

Link to post
Share on other sites

You'd think it would be smartest to put the power in the hands of the kids, parents, and maybe even HS coaches. If a recruiter is becoming a nuisance, ask them to cease and desist until a later date, if not permanently. If they continue, then contact the NCAA and have a set of possible punishments dependent upon the severity, number, etc of violations just like with everything else.

Plus, the last thing a recruiter wants to hear is, "We said you were calling too much and you didn't listen, so our kid is signing with your rival." So you'd think the schools would want to police things in-house already anyway.

Link to post
Share on other sites

You'd think it would be smartest to put the power in the hands of the kids, parents, and maybe even HS coaches. If a recruiter is becoming a nuisance, ask them to cease and desist until a later date, if not permanently. If they continue, then contact the NCAA and have a set of possible punishments dependent upon the severity, number, etc of violations just like with everything else.

Plus, the last thing a recruiter wants to hear is, "We said you were calling too much and you didn't listen, so our kid is signing with your rival." So you'd think the schools would want to police things in-house already anyway.

Schools would rather miss on a kid by calling, texting, writing too much than not enough.

Lord help the parents of a hot prospect who goes into the recruiting process without unlimited texting on the cell phone account.

I'm not a pay the players person but the whole lot of the leadership of the NCAA, member conferences, and member schools should be horse whipped if they don't put together a group of players, say three or four HIGHLY recruited players and three or four more middle of the road recruits and find out what they liked and what they hated and craft rules that reduce the things they hate and encourages the things they liked.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Schools would rather miss on a kid by calling, texting, writing too much than not enough.

Lord help the parents of a hot prospect who goes into the recruiting process without unlimited texting on the cell phone account.

I'm not a pay the players person but the whole lot of the leadership of the NCAA, member conferences, and member schools should be horse whipped if they don't put together a group of players, say three or four HIGHLY recruited players and three or four more middle of the road recruits and find out what they liked and what they hated and craft rules that reduce the things they hate and encourages the things they liked.

The latter part of this speaks volumes. As to the earlier part, I wonder how much kids and parents consider "too much"? If your kid is getting 20 texts a day, not to mention calls, tweets, etc., God forbid they pay attention to their studies in order to be academically eligible or even *gasp* honors students.

I'm certainly not one to favor over-regulation, but you'd think they would at least consider how much contact would be a distraction from not only academic performance, but of course their HS practices and other important activities. I know this is another slippery slope argument with no easy answer, but there must be some level of awareness that, regardless of any other extracurriculars, distracting a student from academic and athletic achievement could have a negative effect on their ability to properly achieve once placed in the collegiate atmosphere.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Similar Content

    • By Harry
      Documents and bank records obtained in discovery during the federal investigation into the underbelly of college basketball detail in meticulous fashion the expenditures of prominent former NBA agent Andy Miller, his former associate Christian Dawkins and his agency, ASM Sports. They include expense reports and balance sheets that list cash advances, as well as entertainment and travel expenses for high school and college prospects and their families.
      Yahoo Sports viewed hundreds of pages of documents from the years-long probe that had federal authorities monitoring multiple targets and intercepting more than 4,000 calls across 330 days, providing a clear-eyed view into the pervasive nature of the game’s underground economy.
      While three criminal cases tied to the investigation may take years to play out, the documents viewed by Yahoo revealed the extent of the potential NCAA ramifications from the case. The documents show an underground recruiting operation that could create NCAA rules issues – both current and retroactive – for at least 20 Division I basketball programs and more than 25 players.
      The documents tie some of the biggest names and programs in the sport to activity that appears to violate the NCAA’s amateurism rules. This could end up casting a pall over the NCAA tournament because of eligibility issues. There’s potential impermissible benefits and preferential treatment for players and families of players at Duke, North Carolina, Texas, Kentucky, Michigan State, USC, Alabama and a host of other schools. The documents link some of the sport’s biggest current stars – Michigan State’s Miles Bridges, Alabama’s Collin Sexton and Duke’s Wendell Carter – to specific potential extra benefits for either the athletes or their family members. The amounts tied to players in the case range from basic meals to tens of thousands of dollars.
      NCAA president Mark Emmert released a statement Friday morning to address the latest developments in the corruption probe.
      “These allegations, if true, point to systematic failures that must be fixed and fixed now if we want college sports in America. Simply put, people who engage in this kind of behavior have no place in college sports. They are an affront to all those who play by the rules,” the statement read. “Following the Southern District of New York’s indictments last year, the NCAA Board of Governors and I formed the independent Commission on College Basketball, chaired by Condoleezza Rice, to provide recommendations on how to clean up the sport. With these latest allegations, it’s clear this work is more important now than ever. The Board and I are completely committed to making transformational changes to the game and ensuring all involved in college basketball do so with integrity. We also will continue to cooperate with the efforts of federal prosecutors to identify and punish the unscrupulous parties seeking to exploit the system through criminal acts.”
      read more:  https://sports.yahoo.com/exclusive-federal-documents-detail-sweeping-potential-ncaa-violations-involving-high-profile-players-schools-103338484.html
    • By Salsa_Verde
      An interesting and funny take on why UCF’s national title claim isn’t as goofy as it sounds.
      http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/21954302/ucf-not-first-school-call-national-champion
    • By MGNation92
      Since I'm tired of reading everyone here bickering like an old married couple about the current state of UNT athletics, I had an interesting thought about the Harrell Passing School. With Harrell's current status as an OC and the NCAA ruling of no satellite camps, does this mean he will no longer be able to participate/evaluate those players? I see this as a potential leg up for recruiting but I am curious as to whether or not it violates any sanctions as far as recruiting those players and the satellite camp rules now in place.
  • Who's Online   18 Members, 2 Anonymous, 119 Guests (See full list)

  • Images

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Please review our full Privacy Policy before using our site.