Abbe arrested

Harry

I would rather lose WITHOUT this guy than win WITH him.

But would Mac? You know he's the one on the hot seat this year.

grey-goose.jpg

Edited by GreenBat
  • Upvote 1

Abbe is a good kid, probably not too bright when it comes to personal choices. He drinks some...like most college kids. The thing is, if you knew him personally, you'd laugh this off and move forward. He's not a mean guy beating up frat rats or offending women...very likeable.

Maybe not the PC answer you're looking for, but it is what it is. Mac will take care of this and he most likely won't ask us for our opinion of his process.

• Upvote 5

Abbe is a good kid, probably not too bright when it comes to personal choices. He drinks some...like most college kids. The thing is, if you knew him personally, you'd laugh this off and move forward. He's not a mean guy beating up frat rats or offending women...very likeable.

Maybe not the PC answer you're looking for, but it is what it is. Mac will take care of this and he most likely won't ask us for our opinion of his process.

Yeah, some people aren't real slick and get caught at most everything they do, while others are slick as ice and never get caught doing anything even though they do stuff constantly. Let Mac decide where Abbe falls on the slickness scale.

• Upvote 2

It is very unfortunate that Richard Abbe has been arrested on such a serious offense as DWI along with the other offenses reported on this board. He was my son's roommate for one summer and his teammate for two seasons. My son liked him a lot and said he was a good person. He is a mountain of a man that is indeed a very likable guy. He was always polite and very respectful to my wife and me when we would talk to him. Hopefully Richard will learn from his mistakes. Coach Mac has a tough decision to make on his future with the team. I for one hope that he is allowed back on the Mean Green football team.

• Upvote 5

Nor should Mac ask any of us for an opinion on how this should be handled. What I am sure about is that Mac is none to happy about young Me. Abbe's choices in the recent past. It will get handled, one way or the other, and some will think it was handled properly and some will not. But, it will be handled to the "satisfaction" of the folks actually involved. Tough calls to make...am very happy i am not the one actually having to make the call about Abbe's football future at UNT.

Kids make dumb decisions. Sometimes they make 4 of them.

He is not beating up women or children. He is not robbing someone at knifepoint or gunpoint.he is not raping co-eds or dealing drugs.

He has done what I bet a majority on this board did in their youth. He just got caught.

Mac will decide whether or not he is too big a distraction to stay on the team. Hopefully Abbé (and some of our younger posters) can learn from this. The $40 cab ride is cheaper than the $6000 DWI EVERY time.

I hope his parents make him get a job to pay the legal expenses.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 3

It is very unfortunate that Richard Abbe has been arrested on such a serious offense as DWI along with the other offenses reported on this board. He was my son's roommate for one summer and his teammate for two seasons. My son liked him a lot and said he was a good person. He is a mountain of a man that is indeed a very likable guy. He was always polite and very respectful to my wife and me when we would talk to him. Hopefully Richard will learn from his mistakes. Coach Mac has a tough decision to make on his future with the team. I for one hope that he is allowed back on the Mean Green football team.

Agree 100% with you, Green59. I do, however, think the toughestpart of all this is what the legal ramifications might be with the DWI proceedings. It will all be determined soon enough. Hoping for the best for all concerned, and am VERY happy that young Mr. Abbe got through this with "only" the citation for DWI/DUI or whatever it is...and that no accident took place. For that we can all be very happy.

• Upvote 1

I think we should just wait and see rather than play judge and jury. I'm certainly not defending him because this definitely sux, but as far as I know he ran into one of his former arresting officers who "kinda" had it in for him, and he refused to blow (for whatever reason) even though he had only put down 3-4 beers. Of course I'm being optimistic with that thought but you never know. I am definitely curious about that unknown arrest though.

I can recall very few times being out at three in the morning after only three or four beers. All nighter study sessions and Camp Pendleton are the only exceptions that come to mind.

• Upvote 1

Maybe we should have an accountability coach who's sole job is to teach these kids how to make responsible choices.

If we have five off-field arrests in 2013 do we chalk it up to the accountability coach not having his players? Do you give them a five year deal? Could we afford to fire them?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

I'd be done with him were it my call. Sure kids will be kids... But most kids are not given the luxury of a sweet scholarship deal while they're being "kids." The first one or two arrests (no matter what for) should have served as a slap in the face wake up call. If he wants to finish his degree let him take out a student loan. If he's deemed worthy of playing football let him walkon on the fall.

• Upvote 1

Kids make dumb decisions. Sometimes they make 4 of them.

He is not beating up women or children. He is not robbing someone at knifepoint or gunpoint.he is not raping co-eds or dealing drugs.

.....and for this I am truly grateful. But isn't this a very low bar-setting....not only for our college athletes, but our society in general?

He has done what I bet a majority on this board did in their youth. He just got caught.

as to the occasional over drinking part.....guilty.

Mac will decide whether or not he is too big a distraction to stay on the team. Hopefully Abbé (and some of our younger posters) can learn from this. The $40 cab ride is cheaper than the $6000 DWI EVERY time.

I hope his parents make him get a job to pay the legal expenses.

totally agree.....mainly because that is how I would have handled it with my son.