Vaughns picks North Texas after visiting Terps

Harry

George Mason transfer Vertrail Vaughns, a Terrapins men’s basketball target, has decided to play at North Texas next season, according to the Denton Record-Chronicle.

Vaughns’ decision marks the second straight day a transferring guard has spurned the Terps. Tuesday, former Rutgers guard Eli Carter decided to play at Florida.

Vaughns visited College Park on Tuesday, according to reports, but ultimately decided to return to his home state.

Coach Mark Turgeon has been searching to add backcourt depth for next season since junior guard Pe’Shon Howard decided to transfer.

Read more: http://www.diamondbackonline.com/blogs/article_418d27fe-b2c4-11e2-84b0-0019bb30f31a.html

btw, how is this guy eligible to play immediately?

I don't know for certain, but it appears he took a redshirt and has been in college for four years. If a player graduates in four years but has eligibility remaining they can transfer to a school that has a grad program not available at their current school.

Same rule used when Colin Mangrum and Russell Wilson graduated from here and NC ST respectively.

Edited by Army of Dad
  • Upvote 1

I don't know for certain, but it appears he took a redshirt and has beenin college or four years. If a player graduates in four years but has eligibility remaining they can transfer to a school that has a grad program not available at their current school.

Same rule used when Colin Mangrum and Russell Wilson graduated from here and NC ST respectively.

He earned a medical redshirt after playing in his freshman year.

He went on to play three consecutive years which would be his freshman sophomore and junior years..

So he is effectively going to be a senior in eligibility.

Since he is already graduated ie he graduated in 4 years he is able to transfer to another D-I school and play immediately versus sit out a season.

I would guess he will begin his graduate school work at North Texas next school year..

I think it is impressive that the kid finished his degree on time while playing athletics.

He earned a medical redshirt after playing in his freshman year.

He went on to play three consecutive years which would be his freshman sophomore and junior years..

So he is effectively going to be a senior in eligibility.

Since he is already graduated ie he graduated in 4 years he is able to transfer to another D-I school and play immediately versus sit out a season.

I would guess he will begin his graduate school work at North Texas next school year..

I think it is impressive that the kid finished his degree on time while playing athletics.

Don't tell the NCAA he is transferring to UNT.

They will change their decision on the medical redshirt in a heart beat.

• Upvote 2