Vertrail Vaughns commits to UNT

Ventrail Vaughns, a 6-2 guard who spent the first four years of his career at George Mason, confirmed this afternoon that he has committed to UNT and will transfer to the school and play his final season with the Mean Green this year.

Vaughns averaged 5.0 points a game this past season for George Mason. He averaged 8.8 points a game as a sophomore.

Read more: http://meangreenblog...ts-to-unt.html/

Click here to view the article

• Upvote 3

Ventrail Vaughns, a 6-2 guard who spent the first four years of his career at George Mason, confirmed this afternoon that he has committed to UNT and will transfer to the school and play his final season with the Mean Green this year.

Vaughns averaged 5.0 points a game this past season for George Mason. He averaged 8.8 points a game as a sophomore.

Read more: http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2013/05/vaughns-commits-to-unt.html/

This post has been promoted to an article

Should fit in well here, but can't get too excited about an one year player. Can play back up pg but Alzee does a pretty good job at that and both have one year left.

At shooting guard, will he beat out Taylor or Walton?

He will play some point guard as well. No question about it, this is a big pickup even for one year. Kid can play. Like 03 said just need to add a big and were done.

Backcourt is solid. Very solid. Now let's go get Kevin Thomas

I

He will play some point guard as well. No question about it, this is a big pickup even for one year. Kid can play. Like 03 said just need to add a big and were done.

guess I am out of the loop, why do you think he can play? He was a reserve on a 22-16 club in a lower level conference. He shot 40% and 33% from the three.

How is this a big pick up, particular for one year?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

So here is our roster:

Chris Jones

Jordan Williams

Brandon Walton

TJ Taylor

Alzee Williams

Ventrail Vaughns

Greg Wesley

Flash Flannigan

Colin Voss

Josh Friar

Tony Nunn

Keith Coleman

?

I

guess I am out of the loop, why do you think he can play? He was a reserve on a 22-16 club in a lower level conference. He shot 40% and 33% from the three.

I think Maryland and Auburn and FAU had him visit because they thought he could play. Did you watch this team last season? We couldn't shoot the ball to save our lives. I think to land a kid with his size and experience even if only for one year is a big addition. I also think he adds defense and steals. Didn't say he was a star but I happen to think he's a solid proven player that will help us immediately. I also expect him to add some leadership: http://broadsideonline.com/2011/03/07/vertrail-vaughnss-painful-past-has-fueled-success-3063/

Backcourt is solid. Very solid. Now let's go get Kevin Thomas

Solid enough for you to now renew those tickets? Can't see you missing out on a UNT BB season.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Should fit in well here, but can't get too excited about an one year player. Can play back up pg but Alzee does a pretty good job at that and both have one year left.

At shooting guard, will he beat out Taylor or Walton?

All of these guys (guards) will be in the rotation. Doesn't really matter who is introduced under Benford. In a more traditional rotation, Chris Jones would be the starting point guard and TJ Taylor the off guard. Vaughn, in my opinion, is a much better player than Brandon Walton. Walton is strickly a 2 while Vaughn is a combo; much quicker and explosive.

George Mason's basketball program is leaps above UNT's. If these guys had switched teams, Vaughn would have put up much higher numbers at UNT than our guys at George Mason. Solid pickup, if only for 1 year.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

I

As my wife won't let me forget, it's about quality depth.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Solid enough for you to now renew those tickets? Can't see you missing out on a UNT BB season.

I'm sure I will when the time comes around. Still frustrated at past season. Like a true UNT fan, I'll always come back for more punishment

Edited by NT03
  • Upvote 4

All of these guys (guards) will be in the rotation. Doesn't really matter who is introduced under Benford. In a more traditional rotation, Chris Jones would be the starting point guard and TJ Taylor the off guard. Vaughn, in my opinion, is a much better player than Brandon Walton. Walton is strickly a 2 while Vaughn is a combo; much quicker and explosive.

George Mason's basketball program is leaps above UNT's. If these guys had switched teams, Vaughn would have put up much higher numbers at UNT than our guys at George Mason. Solid pickup, if only for 1 year.

Yes, whose program is not leaps and bounds above NT based on last year. Not saying he won't help the team, but I am not going to turn somersaults about a reserve from a even good non-AQ program. I expect him to see a lot of action at NT if not start, and recognizing where the program is right now; I stated he was a good pick up.

Outside play should be NT' strength next year if they have one. Williams, Williams, Walton, Jones and hopefully Taylor all should be good. I think Alzee has always been one of NT's better players, but if Benford can't use him than I guess Vaughn is much more important.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Couldn't agree more... with all of this.

Nice get for coach Benford & crew.

• Upvote 1