Monday night notes (Don January, football tidbits)

Harry

I swung through the Don January golf tournament today and picked up a few random notes and tidbits.

There were 43 teams this year. The event raises a ton of money for UNT athletic scholarships. UNT picked up $13,000 at the long drive event alone.

Head coach Brad Stracke mentioned that UNT was ranked 155th when he arrived and is hanging around the top 30 now.

Stracke also talked a little about UNT’s goal to raise $1.8 million to add a putting green and short game facility at Trophy Club.

I saw UNT women’s basketball coach Mike Petersen. Tony Benford was gone by the time I arrived at the end of the day.

Dan McCarney is still recovering from bypass surgery and was not able to be there to speak at the end of the event.

I have not had a chance to mention it yet, but today is the first day of UNT’s big push in football recruiting in the Dallas area. UNT’s assistants were all out on the road, seeing coaches and players. Mike Canales had just come back off the road. Defensive coordinator John Skladany was also there.

Read more: http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2013/04/monday-night-notes-don-january-football-tidbits.html/

Tony Bedford was gone? Wow, that should make some folks here happy.

Funny.

I spoke with Coach Benford, Coach Evans, Coach Lundy and Coach Luster from men's basketball and Coach Petersen from women's BB and coach Chico from football yesterday while at the tournament. Coach Benford does not play golf, but he was there. I know both Coach Evans and Coach Luster played. Don't know about Coach Lundy. Petersen and Canales also played. I will also add that these folks showed up last Wednesday evening at Apogee as well to be part of the Mean Green Club Volunteer Rep Phone-A-Thon. It's great to talk with these coaches away from "work" situations. Much can be learned about what is going on with their programs and you get to see these guys just being themselves rather than coaches. Great stuff.

We can all feel very good about the current status of both the men's and women's golf programs at UNT. Looks like the "glory days" of UNT golf are back! These kids CAN play and our golf coaches can Coach! Great stuff yesterday.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Funny.

I spoke with Coach Benford, Coach Evans, Coach Lundy and Coach Luster from men's basketball and Coach Petersen from women's BB and coach Chico from football yesterday while at the tournament. Coach Benford does not play golf, but he was there. I know both Coach Evans and Coach Luster played. Don't know about Coach Lundy. Petersen and Canales also played. I will also add that these folks showed up last Wednesday evening at Apogee as well to be part of the Mean Green Club Volunteer Rep Phone-A-Thon. It's great to talk with these coaches away from "work" situations. Much can be learned about what is going on with their programs and you get to see these guys just being themselves rather than coaches. Great stuff.

We can all feel very good about the current status of both the men's and women's golf programs at UNT. Looks like the "glory days" of UNT golf are back! These kids CAN play and our golf coaches can Coach! Great stuff yesterday.

Too bad golf isn't what puts bread on the table.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3