The Puzzle of Keith Coleman

Harry

gallery_1_141_168825.jpg

I had been thinking about this and thought I would throw it out there for discussion. Will this coaching staff get the light bulb turned on this season with Coleman? Or is he destined to be a backup at UNT? Can he improve to become more of a factor in a year where we bring in some young guys?

First let's look at his season stats last year:

44 Coleman, Keith (2012-13)

Games Played : 30

Games Started: 1

Total Minutes: 254

Avg Minutes: 8.5

FG/FG Attempted: 16/46

FG PCT: .348

3-Point: 0- 0, .000

FThrow: 8-18; .444

OFF/DEF Rebounds; 13/36; 49

Avg Rebounds: 1.6

Personal Fouls: 41

Fouled out: 0

Assists: 4

Turnovers: 24

Blocks: 11

Steals: 4

Avg Points Per Game: 1.3

So he averaged 8.5 minutes a game or a total of 254 minutes for the season and pulled down 49 rebounds and had 11 blocks. He had 24 turnovers

So let's be honest, in the remaining two years of his time at UNT he will probably never become a prolific scorer. And he tends to turn the ball over when he gets it.

But there are minor indications that he could potentially be a decent rebounder and shot blocker in the paint. Can a player like this be developed? Can anyone think of any past development projects that panned out? Could the defense be tailored to his strengths? Could we use him to set screens for the shooters?

6-10, 260 pound athletic guys like this don't grow on trees as we see in this current recruiting period. Coleman sat the bench much of last season behind Tony and Roger - this could be a season where his minutes increase. I don't see him as a great one on one defender but perhaps in the back end of the zone he could be in more of a comfort zone? Or will he be more like a Howerton type of player that rarely sees the court save for when other guys get in foul trouble? Is he allowed to go to any big man camps or could we bring in any experts to try and help his game?

This post has been promoted to an article

He's 6'8", plays the post and had only eight more rebounds than fouls last season. Can he improve (more than he already has according to Benford)? Yes, he can.

Will it be enough to become a quality big man, play 20+ minutes a game, rebound and play defense well enough to actually justify those minutes by his play (and not the lack of anyone over 6'7" with experience), it isn't looking too good at this point.

I hope he does it...

• Upvote 1

DE is intriguing, the question at TE would be if he has the hands to play there.

He had hands of stone last season. I can't remember all the time someone through a reasonable pass only to see it bounce off of his stone hands out of bounds.

I am hoping he takes a step forward, but it will need to be a really big step.

Colman showed flashes of potential last year and then would just drop the ball.... He was finally getting aggressive and I loved the game where he was just getting bashed every time he got the ball. I mean the other player flat out nailed him in the back of the head with an elbow. Finally big Keith got aggressive and laid him out along the baseline. That was his 5 foul but he finally sent a message he was not going to be pushed around. He really needs to get a jumprope and a tennis ball.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Colman showed flashes of potential last year and then would just drop the ball.... He was finally getting aggressive and I loved the game where he was just getting bashed every time he got the ball. I mean the other player flat out nailed him in the back of the head with an elbow. Finally big Keith got aggressive and laid him out along the baseline. That was his 5 foul but he finally sent a message he was not going to be pushed around. He really needs to get a jumprope and a tennis ball.

You don't send messages with your 5th foul.

Coleman has way below average hands, averages 3 rebounds for every 16 minutes played, and is TERRIBLE at the line.

Not qualities you want in your big man. I agree with 03. Coleman would get "the talk" if we had any other options.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

Right now Coleman looks right in line with McMasters, Barnett, Howerton and Knox. All big men which NT kept hoping would develop into more than a role player for the team, none did. The only effective true posts were transfers Johnson, Wooden and I guess you count Mitchell. In Shawson case, NT gave two years of scholarship for his one semester of play. Wooden was very good when he was in playing shape which unfortunately was not often enough.

In short the guys who couldn't play from the start, only got marginally better. I hope Colemen changes that trend. He is definitely a physical specimen but like a lot of big guys is now just too uncoordinated.

But isn't he supposed to be a Big East quality center? In all seriousness, it's up to him if he wants to become a basketball player. He has the body to possibly make some money playing this game three years from now, but he's gonna have to work his tail off both mentally and physically if he wants that to happen. Sure wish I had that option.

So he fouled out zero times (per Harry's research) but laid someone out with his fifth foul? Brilliant.

He'll be the backup who gets abused after the youngsters get abused. We better hope opposing big men can't shoot free throws. Hacking them is our only viable plan.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

But isn't he supposed to be a Big East quality center? In all seriousness, it's up to him if he wants to become a basketball player. He has the body to possibly make some money playing this game three years from now, but he's gonna have to work his tail off both mentally and physically if he wants that to happen. Sure wish I had that option.

what prevented you?

So he fouled out zero times (per Harry's research) but laid someone out with his fifth foul? Brilliant.

He'll be the backup who gets abused after the youngsters get abused. We better hope opposing big men can't shoot free throws. Hacking them is our only viable plan.

Well I could be wrong... I thought he did but Harry may know better. Either way I was excited about the tenacity that he started show. Not saying he is a starting center (though he may have to be), but I do believe he could play 15 minutes a night and grab 5 boards 2 points and a block.

• Upvote 2

Well I could be wrong... I thought he did but Harry may know better. Either way I was excited about the tenacity that he started show. Not saying he is a starting center (though he may have to be), but I do believe he could play 15 minutes a night and grab 5 boards 2 points and a block.

This is what you think is acceptable out of a player who gets 15 mins per game? No wonder you love Benford.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

This is what you think is acceptable out of a player who gets 15 mins per game? No wonder you love Benford.

Never said it was "acceptable" but I will certainly take it from Colman at this point...

To be fair Roger Franklin our second leading rebounder averaged 6 boards in 30 minutes with less then a block per game. So are you saying that he underperformed green bat???

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

Never said it was "acceptable" but I will certainly take it from Colman at this point...

To be fair Roger Franklin our second leading rebounder averaged 6 boards in 30 minutes with less then a block per game. So are you saying that he underperformed green bat???

Do you remember what Roger looked like?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Do you remember what Roger looked like?

Ok let's go back...

Hogans in 12' averaged about 17 minutes a game and 3.6 rebounds

Holman in 11' averaged about 16 minutes a game And 5.8 rebounds

Tramiel in 10' averaged about 28 minutes and grabbed 6 rebounds

Now I understand that Tony Mitchell and George Odufuwa averaged double digit boards in 30 to 35 minutes a game. No offense to Keith but he is neither of those players. From Keith and what I have seen I would be very happy with those numbers at this point.

It would not hurt for Jordan Willimas to actually bring down some boards either....

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Ok let's go back...

Hogans in 12' averaged about 17 minutes a game and 3.6 rebounds

Holman in 11' averaged about 16 minutes a game And 5.8 rebounds

Tramiel in 10' averaged about 28 minutes and grabbed 6 rebounds

1200, 1100, and 1000...like, AD?

Perhaps you were referring to something about feet.

• Upvote 2