Thoughts on UNT-UTA series debate

Harry

It looks like the UNT-UTA basketball series might be interrupted next season.

We covered what was said last night, when I talked to Tony Benford and Rick Villarreal.

Villarreal said that UNT would like the series to continue. The problem is that UNT has locked itself into a nonconference game at Texas A&M and the Coaches vs. Cancer Classic, starting with a game at Oklahoma and then continuing in Portland.

Benford and Villarreal don’t want to play more games on the road than at home. UNT has not played more true road games (not counting neural site games) since playing 14 at home and 15 on the road back in the 2009-10 season (ironically, it was the last year UNT went to the NCAA tournament).

A game at UTA could push UNT to a road-game heavy schedule.

Despite the potential for that to happen, Villarreal said that the situation is still fluid. UTA wants to play on a specific date, but UNT is already playing in the Coaches vs. Cancer tournament that day. UNT and UTA officials are in discussions about moving the game.

Read more: http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2013/04/thoughts-on-unt-uta-series-debate.html/

I find it odd that this has never been a problem before. It's not like this series snuck up on anyone. Deal was signed a very long time ago

I gotta think UTA will do everything possible to keep the game. It's almost a guarantee win in front of 1 of their biggest expected crowds of the year

• Upvote 1

But didn't UNT used to play only like 2-3 home games and like 7-10 road games in non-conference games as recently as 5-7 years ago or so? I guess every coach has their own scheduling philosophy, but seems like wins would be more important this year than RPI. Maybe UNT is trying to schedule some cupcakes at home because Conference USA is gonna be every bit as tough as Sun Belt.

• Upvote 2