Riley Dodge to Texas

oldguystudent

What, with it being the off season, and the constant fixation on all things First Family of Southlake around here, I can't believe this hasn't been posted.

Texas Hires Riley Dodge

So here is my question about Riley and coaching. Nobody can deny that he was a top high school quarterback or that he played his guts out (in the case of Southlake days,

)

But the only system he knows is his dad's system, and we've all seen how well that works on the collegiate level.

So, honest, non-Riley hating question. What is it that he's got to offer that makes him attractive as an up and coming coach to places like A&M and Texas? Do they send him on the recruiting trail based on Southlake laurels, conveniently forgetting the college years? Has he studied under other coaching staffs to broaden his knowledge base?

If any of this is not appropriate to the football program, then I'll switch gears and admit that I'm wearing black shoes with brown pants today. My business casual uniform brings great shame to my office image. I do, however, sport a matte finish on my jacket, but it too is black, which could bring back some unpleasant memories for older managers. Discuss.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

What, with it being the off season, and the constant fixation on all things First Family of Southlake around here, I can't believe this hasn't been posted.

Texas Hires Riley Dodge

So here is my question about Riley and coaching. Nobody can deny that he was a top high school quarterback or that he played his guts out (in the case of Southlake days,

)

But the only system he knows is his dad's system, and we've all seen how well that works on the collegiate level.

So, honest, non-Riley hating question. What is it that he's got to offer that makes him attractive as an up and coming coach to places like A&M and Texas? Do they send him on the recruiting trail based on Southlake laurels, conveniently forgetting the college years? Has he studied under other coaching staffs to broaden his knowledge base?

If any of this is not appropriate to the football program, then I'll switch gears and admit that I'm wearing black shoes with brown pants today. My business casual uniform brings great shame to my office image. I do, however, sport a matte finish on my jacket, but it too is black, which could bring back some unpleasant memories for older managers. Discuss.

Lets see an AA QB in high school, as fearless and tenacious college football player as you will see; plus obviously a serious student of the game with high intelligence. Not sure many his age can offer near as much to any college program. By the way having connections doesn't hurt finding any job.

• Upvote 5

Why would they need to "conveniently forget the college years?" What was so shameful about Rodge's career as to deter him from success in coaching/recruiting?

DUH! He was too short. He had a noodle for an arm. He got hurt too often. His mere presence ran off Vizza. But most incriminating of all: He is related to 'the hated one'. All of these reasons are enough for me to think he will be a terrible coach. Especially any kind of offensive coach on a team that runs a spread or pass-heavy scheme.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

1. Every HS coach in Texas knows who he is.

2. Most HS players know who he is.

3. The hire removes him from Sumlin's staff.

4. Formidable recruiting hire when combined with Major, who's duties have been expanded.

Didn't realize sleeping with a student qualified as "expanded duties."

Does it really matter what offensive system he knows/ran? Jack Pardee came out of 6-man football, played for Bear Bryant and ended up a coach that endorsed the run and shoot.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Didn't realize sleeping with a student qualified as "expanded duties."

Does it really matter what offensive system he knows/ran? Jack Pardee came out of 6-man football, played for Bear Bryant and ended up a coach that endorsed the run and shoot.

Just another step on their road toward 2nd best (at best) in Texas football.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Riley has great name recognition in this state. As bad as his dad was as a college coach, he was that good as the coach at Southlake Carroll. Their family name in Austin is golden, from both sides of his family. Plus, he is a very classy guy in the way he carries himself, at least from my vantage point. Great guy--should be a good fit for UT.

His time here was awful, but it wasn't his fault. His dad's gameplan was a disaster, which included putting his undersized kid at QB here. Hell, he was undersized for FCS play. It wasn't his fault that Vizza quit--it was Vizza's fault and his dad's fault. But the fact remians that Vizza wasn't going to survive here, either. Our gameplan was built on the spread and the OLine here was just a sieve. Thus, we saw Vizza, Rodge, Nathen Tune, and Derek Thompson get crushed in the course of 2+ seasons.

It wouldn't surprise me to see Rodge be a very successful coach, at any level. He'll be smart enough to learn from his dad's mistakes. He showed a lot of heart and fight for such a little QB. And the class he showed after his dad was fired midseason and still played hard for Chico and his teammates that season told me a lot about his character.

• Upvote 3

DUH! He was too short. He had a noodle for an arm. He got hurt too often. His mere presence ran off Vizza. But most incriminating of all: He is related to 'the hated one'. All of these reasons are enough for me to think he will be a terrible coach. Especially any kind of offensive coach on a team that runs a spread or pass-heavy scheme.

I have seen,and even made, some of the most dumb ass statements on this forum.However,your reasoning as to why Riley will be a terrible coach just made my top ten.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Riley has great name recognition in this state. As bad as his dad was as a college coach, he was that good as the coach at Southlake Carroll.

Kudos for his success at Southlake, but that school was phenomenal before he arrived.

He went 4-6 last year at Marble Falls, whatever that's worth. Maybe nothing.

Not debating, just adding some perspective.

I'm just hazarding a guess here, but I think sarcasm just snuck past you when you weren't looking.

Probably. I'm an old man who can't see well,and I'm sure I my response was another one of my dumb ass posts. Regardless,he was a kid with a lot of guts, and I hope he does well in life. Thanks for the wake up,Ward White

• Upvote 1

I have seen,and even made, some of the most dumb ass statements on this forum.However,your reasoning as to why Riley will be a terrible coach just made my top ten.

I'm bad at sarcasm. :thumbsd:

I've been a Riley supporter since he committed here. There is no reason why he would not be able to take the knowledge he has of his dad's offensive system (which like it or not, is very potent), and combine it with what he learned under Sumlin last year to help Major and the Longhorns.

Kudos for his success at Southlake, but that school was phenomenal before he arrived.

He went 4-6 last year at Marble Falls, whatever that's worth. Maybe nothing.

Not debating, just adding some perspective.

I agree with you about SLC being a pwoerhouse before he got there, but in his time there, they were absolutely phenomenal. 4 out of 5 5A State Championships in Texas is just incredible. It just didn't translate to anything but suck at UNT.

The thing with Todd Dodge was that he would've been smart to have accepted a job as a coordinator first with someone who knew how to run a college practice. Art Briles was very successful at Stephenville HS when Tech hired him to be a position coach. Just a few years later, he'd become the head coach at UH and parlay that into a head coaching gig at Baylor. But he saw how Spike Dykes ran practice and how to recruit and coach college kids. Todd Dodge never had to do any of that. Part of that is his fault for not recognizing that, but the biggest fault lies with RV in believing that bringing in an inexperienced college coach would be just fine if he brings in mostly HS coaches with him. Ron Mendoza may be the absolute worst college coach I've have ever seen trying to run a defense. He had no idea how to coach a defense at this level. That 's what a gig as an OC or a position coach could have taught Todd Dodge, just like it obviously did for Art Briles.

Todd Dodge will never get a chance to be a head coach again in college football, but under the right circumstances, his career path could have led him to being one for the rest of his life if he had been more prepared. Its a good lesson in life about thinking you are ready for something bigger in your career when you haven't paid enough dues yet.