UNT buys out final year of contract w/ UTA

NT03

Who cares if we pissed off UTA? If, if this is the case, how is this a black eye? If we were trying to weaken our schedule, then why would we be playing at ASU, at OU, at A&M and in this Coaches vs. Cancer tournament?

Then again, why wait until the details come out when it could possibly undermine a good knee jerk?

Do you really not understand that losing to A&M and Oklahoma is very different than losing to UTA?

We will never get the true story.

• Upvote 1

Who cares if we pissed off UTA? If, if this is the case, how is this a black eye? If we were trying to weaken our schedule, then why would we be playing at ASU, at OU, at A&M and in this Coaches vs. Cancer tournament?

Then again, why wait until the details come out when it could possibly undermine a good knee jerk?

We pulled out of the ASU game

• Upvote 1

I understand. My point is that everyone is making a big deal and jumping to conclusions before the facts are in.

So, JJ got skewered for having a weak nonconference schedule and Benford is skewered for strengthening it. Plus, if NT's side is the correct one, they aren't cancelling just pushing it back a year. Aren't you the same person that complains when we have more road games than home games? If NT's side is correct, they are just trying to balance the schedule.

• Upvote 2

I understand. My point is that everyone is making a big deal and jumping to conclusions before the facts are in.

So, JJ got skewered for having a weak nonconference schedule and Benford is skewered for strengthening it. Plus, if NT's side is the correct one, they aren't cancelling just pushing it back a year. Aren't you the same person that complains when we have more road games than home games? If NT's side is correct, they are just trying to balance the schedule.

Side, it's a contract. Both sides have to agree to any alterations. When the UTA AD says the contract is cancelled, that indicates that he is not real flexible in bumping it back a year, unless that agreement was written into said contract.

I'm site we want to push it back a year, but unless UTA agrees, we will probably have to write then a check.

I mean, how can poor, poor little ole UNT afford a &40k check?

It was from an article posted in the football forum. The schedule posted in the article had us playing at Iowa, at Tennessee (?), and at SMU in 2015.

Is it accurate? Who knows.

Whoa! @ Tennessee. I missed that one. I hope we don't have all 3 scheduled away or it will certainly be a 5-home-game year. Buying out a basketball game is probably significantly cheaper than buying out a football game.

It is good that no matter what the discussion is that this forum will likely have advocates going both ways.

However, I don't buy the excuses for not wanting to play UTA next year. NT has a signed contract for the game. Therefore citing obligations for other away games, does not compute in the least. What away game is worth cancelling a game with a long time opponent 45 minutes away?

Another excuse, is it throws the home and away schedule balance off. Really lame, not to mention that many fans had much rather see an away game in Arlington, than the usual big time Cameron match up in Denton.

There is also the whole hypocritical thing, NT representatives' bemoan not be able to schedule more Texas teams in Denton, but NT is about to renege on a scheduled game.

I don't think Benford is necessarily afraid to play UTA, after the total embarrassment of last year why should he be. I do think that the NT brain trust did think it would be advantageous not to lose to a regional rival next year. Why is a good question, NT is definitely without question the worst of the Metroplex teams now, what is there to lose?

• Upvote 1

All I know is that we just gave the Ponies their future answer if they ever buy us out of playing any part of our future football series. "Look, y'all did it to UTA in their money making sport. So what's the big deal if we do it to you?"

Cancelling a Metroplex rival in a game that creates local interest and doesn't require much at all in terms of travel expense is just soooo typical of this place. Who cares if UTA kills us again? Hell, they've made a living at doing that for a while. And last year, they got lots of company in kicking our ass up and down the court. We have to have the worst athletic department in America when it comes to personnel and scheduling. We keep people on payroll too long, we schedule worse than anyone I have ever seen for both money sports, and we don't market ourselves worth a damn.

Frustrating. I've come to accept a long time ago that this place doesn't have the stomach for the fight in football because it just costs too much. But I've always believed that we could be something big in mens basketball, even when Trilli coached here, because the right coach and talent could really jumpstart your program. But when we replaced JJ with an unproven recruiter for our most talented and promising team in our history, then watched the team play worse than the local high schools in town, it is making me believe that this program won't ever be what I thought that it could be. We just don't have the leadership at any level that makes me believe that athletics really matter here.

• Upvote 3

So technically, if it is cancelled, then UTA is backing out.

Side, it's a contract. Both sides have to agree to any alterations. When the UTA AD says the contract is cancelled, that indicates that he is not real flexible in bumping it back a year, unless that agreement was written into said contract.

I'm site we want to push it back a year, but unless UTA agrees, we will probably have to write then a check.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I know a few of you started complaining before there was any information about this, but are some of you actually arguing that playing UTA is a better decision than playing in the Coaches v Cancer tournament?

Would you buy tickets for a convention over a date with your girlfriend/wife that been on the calendar for a long time?

No specific date had been set for the game. The have one date they want to play it on. This is just their attempt at showing off their big boy pants.

They have shown off their big boy pants the last 2 times they beat our ass.

If you seriously think anyone shows off their big boy pants to UNT, that is.

• Downvote 3

No specific date had been set for the game. The have one date they want to play it on. This is just their attempt at showing off their big boy pants.

You act like we're open to playing it this year at a different date. We're refusing to play it this season because due to our own scheduling it would put us with more games away than home.

You act like we're open to playing it this year at a different date. We're refusing to play it this season because due to our own scheduling it would put us with more games away than home.

Last thing I read said UTA had a specific date and we're open to moving. They won't.

Regardless, its all a show from them to try and make us look bad. Good on them.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

They have shown off their big boy pants the last 2 times they beat our ass.

If you seriously think anyone shows off their big boy pants to UNT, that is.

Actually it was two years back under Johnny that we were embarrassed in their old arena. Last year we were still in the game at halftime if I recall.

Regardless, its all a show from them to try and make us look bad. Good on them.

Why in the hell would they "want to make us look bad" and possibly lose a series that has been VERY good for them, and not very good for us?

You like act we are freaking Duke...

Why in the hell would they "want to make us look bad" and possibly lose a series that has been VERY good for them, and not very good for us?

You like act we are freaking Duke...

Maybe because we are a public Univeristy in the same region as them? Surely you understand why they would want to make us look bad.

P.S. The series has been good to both of us.

• Upvote 1

We're charitable enough to donate one of those checks to Benford every few weeks so we can't be all that broke.

• Upvote 1