UNT buys out final year of contract w/ UTA

NT03

We're charitable enough to donate one of those checks to Benford every few weeks so we can't be all that broke.

Donate is correct. He ain't earning them with his coaching performance.

• Upvote 1

I just find it odd and ridiculous that we've been throwing money around like we have an endless stream of cash and donors with us buying games like the big boys, paying off UTA, practice facility, huge scoreboards/Pit upgrades, bridge, absurd amount of TV marketing, yet we play the "We're poor" card quite often.

Edited by meangreener
  • Upvote 1

Actually it was two years back under Johnny that we were embarrassed in their old arena. Last year we were still in the game at halftime if I recall.

we played great for the first ten minutes of that game... then it just turned into one big toilet flush... the score was a lot closer than it looked

• Upvote 1

we played great for the first ten minutes of that game... then it just turned into one big toilet flush... the score was a lot closer than it looked

If that was a toliet flush then the game at UTA the year before was this:

huge_toilet.jpg

I just find it odd and ridiculous that we've been throwing money around like we have an endless stream of cash and donors with us buying games like the big boys, paying off UTA, practice facility, huge scoreboards/Pit upgrades, bridge, absurd amount of TV marketing, yet we play the "We're poor" card quite often.

Only when it comes to defending 5 game home schedules and lack of coaching changes do we see this card played.

It's BS

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...

I'd rather have a more balanced home-away schedule, so no biggie in my opinion, and certainly not worth all the angst shown in this thread. This s nothing more than the folks who are Benford haters going off again. No matter what he does, even if he wins, there is a group here who will always find something negative. So, it is what t is...like the schedule, don't like the schedule, come to watch and support the team or don't come...personal choice. But, all the ranting and gnashing f teeth here is not going to change a thing....got a great tournament against some decent teams...if UTA doesn't want to re-start the series, there will be someone who will. Give me a balanced schedule...tired of UNT having to be the one who goes on the rad to pick up games. If it means UNT has to do the schedule rumba for a year or two...so be it. Lots of bigger issues than a game with UTA.

• Downvote 6

No matter what he does, even if he wins

Talk to me when this actually happens. Until then save us the sanctimonious whining because anyobody outside of Bonnie Brae and a select few apologists sees this for what it is...a VERY thinly veiled attempt by an athletic department who royally screwed up this hire to avoid a beating by a team we recruit against in our own back yard.

You're a bald face liar if you try to sell this as "good for the fans" because UTA plays in a brand new arena within extremely short driving distance. We could, if Bumford ever gave us a chance to get excited, turn a road game against the Mavs into a home game atmosphere.

You're equally disengenuous if you think this was done to " balance" the schedule. We're not making room for some marquee home game, we took a big enough dump on our home floor last season to run off a significant portion of the fanbase, and scheduling balance has never been shown to be a real priority of this administration (see multiple 5 game home football schedules in the past and upcoming).

Those who say "I'll care when NT starts to" are dead on until proven otherwise. And no amount of chastising or "we know who you are" comic relief will change that.

Edited by emmitt01
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

Talk to me when this actually happens. that.

Nope...wouldn't change a thing as there will always be something negative you would dig up....even if UNT ran the table...and as for whining...check the nearest mirror.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

Count me as one that just thinks this is awful. We hear people bitch all the time about the lack of recognizable teams we play on our schedules. UTA, is at least a team people in the Metroplex know about. Now, you've given SMU and TCU an easy excuse to continue to ignore playing us in basketball, plus it will be an even easier excuse for them to use to cancel any series that we are scheduled to play in the future (see SMU football series). All we are gonna hear is that we did the same thing to UTA, so why is that any worse than us not wanting to play you guys anymore in _____?

There are other games on the schedule to change around--this wasn't one of them. It was the one game we played every year that involved another local college team. Giving that up is very short-sighted.

• Upvote 1