UNT buys out final year of contract w/ UTA

NT03

That's 40 grand that could have been deposited into the buyout piggy bank.

Beat me to that one.

wow, the one DFW school who actuallyl plays us and we screw the pooch.

F you very much Benford.

And that one too.

You know what they say, "if you can't beat'em, then take your ball and go home"

As much as it disappointed me to say, "Dammit, we had such a good season and STILL lost to UTA" a couple of times, I agree that this game is necessary. But sadly, your farcical quote is more accurate than the "fight like you're gonna die tomorrow" that should be in its place.

Eh, I'm actually inclined to believe Rick & Benford here. Hopefully we can get the game rescheduled and keep the series going.

What's dumbfounding is that we're going to play tougher teams away (Coaches V Cancer classic on neutral court, but still away from home). Not sure why we would rather do this than play UTA down the road.

That's too bad. I kinda enjoyed sitting in their little bandbox of an arena with its $9 Miller Lite cans, its coupon pooping R/C blimp, its striped overall wearing, socially awkward student section, and its plethora of yet to be opened bars and restaurants immediately outside the arena.<br /><br />I saw what they've got down in Arlington, and thought to myself, "D'awww....It's adorable!"<br /><br />Then I realized that they've been kicking our asses into next Tuesday with ease.

What's dumbfounding is that we're going to play tougher teams away (Coaches V Cancer classic on neutral court, but still away from home). Not sure why we would rather do this than play UTA down the road.

Maybe we are scheduling money games in basketball now??

And if "all the big donors are firmly behind Benford" is true, I hope they sit up and take notice. He just ran away from UTA with his tail between his legs.

UTA!!!

Is this really the guy you want to be firmly behind?

< 10 wins.

Edited by UNT90

Wasn't it Benford last year bragging that no Texas teams would schedule NT? Now he buys out the one who did.

What in the world is RV smoking that he thinks this is a good move? Another loss to UTA would be a lot of less embarrassing then this. I guess a lot of us have to take back all those bards at SMU and TCU for not playing NT, because NT is now running from a local Belt club. Unbeliavable

• Upvote 3

Anyone?

It seems there is a disagreement between the UTA AD and RV as to whether or not is gas been cancelled.

Reading between the lines (always a dicey proposition), it looks like we have pissed off UTA and they probably won't sign up for another series.

Either that, or they are holding us to the contract, not agreeing to move the game, and demanding a payout as stated in the contract while we are trying to convince them still to accept a one year delay.

Either way, yet another black eye for UNT basketball.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

What worries me the most is that one of two things is going on here: Possibility A is that Benford and RV both really want to look like a serious program, so they don't ever want to have more road games than home games (and possibly there is an attractive home opponent with whom they are already in conversation). Great, I like that policy. Possibility B is that Benford has considered the team he is going to be rolling out there next year and is already waving the white flag and admitting that we have no shot of beating even a team like UTA.

Possibility A COULD be the case, but I have my doubts. Possibility B seems more likely, and if that is indeed the case, then even our own head coach thinks we don't stand much of a chance to be competitive next year.

• Upvote 1

Eh, I'm actually inclined to believe Rick & Benford here. Hopefully we can get the game rescheduled and keep the series going.

Agreed. If there's one thing we've consistently proven as a program, it's that an imbalanced home/away schedule is absolutely unacceptable.

I just hope we don't end up with 5 football home games any time soon... I'd hate to see us have to buy out the SMU series.

What worries me the most is that one of two things is going on here: Possibility A is that Benford and RV both really want to look like a serious program, so they don't ever want to have more road games than home games (and possibly there is an attractive home opponent with whom they are already in conversation). Great, I like that policy. Possibility B is that Benford has considered the team he is going to be rolling out there next year and is already waving the white flag and admitting that we have no shot of beating even a team like UTA.

Possibility A COULD be the case, but I have my doubts. Possibility B seems more likely, and if that is indeed the case, then even our own head coach thinks we don't stand much of a chance to be competitive next year.

Possibility B does not seem likely either since Benford scheduled A&M and an offisite tournament. I would think that if he were afraid of UTA, he'd probably avoid A&M and any embarrassment in a national tournament.

Folks just need to chill on this one. The facts will come out. I'm not a Benford supporter by any stretch, but I'm not going to say he's doing this because he's "scared" to play UTA.

• Upvote 1

Possibility B does not seem likely either since Benford scheduled A&M and an offisite tournament. I would think that if he were afraid of UTA, he'd probably avoid A&M and any embarrassment in a national tournament.

Folks just need to chill on this one. The facts will come out. I'm not a Benford supporter by any stretch, but I'm not going to say he's doing this because he's "scared" to play UTA.

Well, I would imagine that it's a LOT more financially prudent to buyout UTA rather than pass on whatever A&M's paying to travel down there . . . but your point is valid. Like I said, they could simply be doing what's best for our schedule. I'm probably just being kind of suspicious these days.

• Upvote 1

Agreed. If there's one thing we've consistently proven as a program, it's that an imbalanced home/away schedule is absolutely unacceptable.

I just hope we don't end up with 5 football home games any time soon... I'd hate to see us have to buy out the SMU series.

Recently posted schedule had us with 5 home games in 2015. A year we also play at SMU, so...

• Upvote 1

It seems there is a disagreement between the UTA AD and RV as to whether or not is gas been cancelled.

Reading between the lines (always a dicey proposition), it looks like we have pissed off UTA and they probably won't sign up for another series.

Either that, or they are holding us to the contract, not agreeing to move the game, and demanding a payout as stated in the contract while we are trying to convince them still to accept a one year delay.

Either way, yet another black eye for UNT basketball.

Who cares if we pissed off UTA? If, if this is the case, how is this a black eye? If we were trying to weaken our schedule, then why would we be playing at ASU, at OU, at A&M and in this Coaches vs. Cancer tournament?

Then again, why wait until the details come out when it could possibly undermine a good knee jerk?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1