UNT lands JUCO All-American Colin Voss

Brett Vito

Nah! Tyler was Mr. Hustle ! Probably All Conference in bloody noses and body slams! A 4 or 5 with that attitude would be great. Voss looks like he could be that kind of player!

Looks very much like a coach in the floor. Probably brings his lunch pale every day. His basketball IQ is probably 1 billion gazillion.

Did I miss anything?

"Voss chose UNT over offers from Murray State, Lamar, South Dakota and Detroit Mercy."

If Vaughn comes on board, we will have 2 players that played in the MAC.

Far cry from beating out Kansas St. and Arkansas for recruits. Wonder if anyone cares.

No offense, but I think it really might be only you who cares.

Recruiting rankings are fun and all, and they're meaningful at the top where you have the 100 or so "elites". After that, everyone can play basketball and it is all about finding diamonds in the rough.

Take soon-to-be rookie of the year Damian Lillard's case for example. 2 star prospect according to Rivals, best school to offer him was Wichita State, ended up at Weber State. 4 years later, the kid is a lottery pick, and going to be rookie of the year. Those rankings meant nothing.

Oh, and what of Wichita State? They couldn't recruit Lillard over measly Weber State...surely they must be awful and still feeling the repercussions a few years later...oh crap, that's right, they went to the final four this year. My mistake. Looks like the schools that you beat out or lose out against in recruiting don't mean anything either.

Seriously, you just sound like a whiny little girl. Get over it, you hate Benford. We all f'ing hate Benford...95% of us on this board would rather see the team coached by a TAMS student than Benford. But you don't see the rest of us making something out of nothing.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 2

No offense, but I think it really might be only you who cares.

Recruiting rankings are fun and all, and they're meaningful at the top where you have the 100 or so "elites". After that, everyone can play basketball and it is all about finding diamonds in the rough.

Take soon-to-be rookie of the year Damian Lillard's case for example. 2 star prospect according to Rivals, best school to offer him was Wichita State, ended up at Weber State. 4 years later, the kid is a lottery pick, and going to be rookie of the year. Those rankings meant nothing.

Oh, and what of Wichita State? They couldn't recruit Lillard over measly Weber State...surely they must be awful and still feeling the repercussions a few years later...oh crap, that's right, they went to the final four this year. My mistake. Looks like the schools that you beat out or lose out against in recruiting don't mean anything either.

Seriously, you just sound like a whiny little girl. Get over it, you hate Benford. We all f'ing hate Benford...95% of us on this board would rather see the team coached by a TAMS student than Benford. But you don't see the rest of us making something out of nothing.

Second "diamond in the rough" post.

And this one actually says "diamond in the rough".

Do you trust Benford to polish this stone?

I think we are headed into crazy football-type justification with our basketball recruits.

Don't get me wrong, I wish Mr. Voss all the success possible at UNT, but do you seriously think he will be an NBA lotto pick?

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I think we are headed into crazy football-type justification with our basketball recruits.

Don't get me wrong, I wish Mr. Voss all the success possible at UNT, but do you seriously think he will be an NBA lotto pick?

Hadn't you heard? Recruiting rankings are for suckas!! The Pro Bowl and NBA All-Star teams are predominantly filled with diamonds in the rough. That's true, right?

• Downvote 2

I agree with you. I don't trust Benford's polishing skills yet, but fortunately Voss doesn't seem to need much polishing. Not saying he'll be All-Conference or anything close, but he looks fundamentally sound.

Problem is, fundamentally sound guys who are 6'7" and nothing special athletically run into rebounding problems. Good pickup, but he's no Tony Mitchell. Like I've said before, 12 wins with Tony Mitchell, who knows how we'll be able to improve significantly, much less at all, without him.

Voss is a good pickup, just not a player who should be asked to lead a CUSA team in rebounding.

• Downvote 1

So from now is every pf or 6 ft 7 guy and up going to be compared to Mirchell....? Ridiculous. Let's be realistic here...

Read. We struggled to win 12 games with Tony Mitchell. My question was how are we going to win more games this year with guys like Voss filling his spot in the lineup? I wasn't saying we need Voss to be the next Mitchell, just that if Benford couldn't win with Mitchell, who knows how much he can win with shorter and less athletic guys rebounding.

I forgot, it doesn't matter as long as he holds them academically accountable.

Read. We struggled to win 12 games with Tony Mitchell. My question was how are we going to win more games this year with guys like Voss filling his spot in the lineup? I wasn't saying we need Voss to be the next Mitchell, just that if Benford couldn't win with Mitchell, who knows how much he can win with shorter and less athletic guys rebounding.

And they avoid women.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Not that I'm counting on Voss to be the second coming, but we actually could be bigger next year when you consider that Franklin was supposedly 6'3" and a half. Maybe not more athletic with the loss of Mitchell alone, but probably bigger depending on Coleman's development and who actually shows up and gets the big minutes.

I sure hope that JW gets more involved in the rebounding aspect of the game. We need his athleticism in going after those loose balls and we didn't see a lot of that last season. Overall, I'm feeling a little better about the roster at this point, and when I say that I mean to emphasize the word "roster."

Colin is going to be a great basketball player for our program, Benford said. Hes very fundamentally sound, and hes really tough thanks to that football background of his. We recruit versatility, and he brings a developed game both inside and outside the lane. He is a coachs son as well, so he brings a great deal of leadership to the court.

Did benford get this quote straight from the thread on GMG????

He could do worse than coach from a thread on here. You know, like he did last season.
  • Upvote 2