Quarterback emerges in Idaho spring game

Harry

Chad Chalich threw for 332 yards and ran for another 102 to lead the Silver team to a 56-14 victory as the Vandals completed their spring session with the Silver and Gold game at the Kibbie Dome.

"It was good to see some big plays being made," first-year head coach Paul Petrino said. "We kept improving. We got tougher."

Chalich, a redshirt freshman from Coeur d'Alene High, was 22-of-40 passing. Senior Taylor Davis was 12-of-23 for 157 yards for the Gold. Jerrel Brown gained 159 yards on 22 carries, and Jahrie Level led 11 receivers with nine catches for 169 yards.

Linebackers Marc Millan and Juan Martinez, who like Brown are part of a highly touted transfer group, had 12 and nine tackles, respectively. Jayshawn Jordan added 10.

Idaho opens its lone season as an independent at North Texas on Aug. 31.

Read more here: http://www.idahostatesman.com/2013/04/20/2542349/quarterback-emerges-in-idaho-spring.html#storylink=cpy

Gotta baaaaaaad feeling about this Idaho game.

Sorry to bring the qb debate in this thread, but with Thompson we always start sooooo slow. We have to get off to better starts, because it sounds like Idaho might be able to. Another reason why I think we should start Jimmerson over Byrd. The backfield of Thompson and Byrd to start the game just doesn't have any firepower.

Sorry to bring the qb debate in this thread, but with Thompson we always start sooooo slow. We have to get off to better starts, because it sounds like Idaho might be able to. Another reason why I think we should start Jimmerson over Byrd. The backfield of Thompson and Byrd to start the game just doesn't have any firepower.

That's because we almost refuse to throw the ball in the 1st quarter. What I would give for a play action deep ball on the 1st play of this game, even if it is intercepted.

But that will never happen.

• Upvote 3

That's because we almost refuse to throw the ball in the 1st quarter. What I would give for a play action deep ball on the 1st play of this game, even if it is intercepted.

But that will never happen.

I completely agree. This goes back to our "they don't trust DT" argument.

Also feel that Byrd wasted some good blocking last year, even against heavy fronts, because he runs with his head down and doesn't look for the holes. Byrd does appear to have improved in that regard, but Jimmerson is just too electric to not be our feature back if he's healthy.

Jim Jim is a freak of nature. Last year he played at about 5'8 and 219 lbs. To be as agile and shifty as he was at that weight was special and fun to watch. If we are going to be as run heavy in the first quarter we should give the ball to someone who can make something happen.

• Upvote 2

I'm with you. We'll smash them in the 103 degree August heat. We play tough at home.

The August heat is going to smash myself with copious amounts of beer.

Speaking of beer, any word on the beer front for concessions. That will be better for the masses. Additionally, what time is the Idaho game?

• Upvote 2

Like I said last week. You guys might seriously lose to Idaho. Those Petrinos can turn around any program.

The only Petrino to turn around a program is his brother Bobby, who typically wore out his welcome by either resigning via text message or not being able to keep his pecker in his pants. Paul may turn out to be a fine Head Coach, but assuming his success because he is the brother of Bobby would be similar to assuming Billy Carter would be fit for President because of his brother.

• Upvote 2

I hope it's not a noon or there goes our attendance and the game will suck.

I'd seriously doubt they'd schedule it at noon. Whoever is in charge of that HAS to know that we'd be lucky to get 10,000 in the seats for an August game at noon. Gametime temp 100...rising to 110....yeah, they better not do that.