26 players named to UNT All-Century Team

Harry

We've had many good running backs over the years, hard to see many people left out. But, there were so many options.

My only surprise is that with so many players coaches by Odus Mitchell, why isn't the stadium or field named after him? I get, to some degree, that in the 21st Century you sell naming rights. But, why not the field? I only started following UNT in 1990...did Mitchell screw someone's wife or something? How do we not publicly recognize him more?

Also, looking at the list, sad to see Beasley Reece not make the list. Other than that, I'm good with it.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch
  • Upvote 1

We've had many good running backs over the years, hard to see many people left out. But, there were so many options.

My only surprise is that with so many players coaches by Odus Mitchell, why isn't the stadium or field named after him? I get, to some degree, that in the 21st Century you sell naming rights. But, why not the field? I only started following UNT in 1990...did Mitchell screw someone's wife or something? How do we not publicly recognize him more?

Also, looking at the list, sad to see Beasley Reece not make the list. Other than that, I'm good with it.

Spider Lockhart as well.

• Upvote 1

Coach Mitchell was a great man and stayed involved with North Texas until his death. I had the pleasure of knowing him and going to school with his grandkids. I wish they would name the field after him, very deserving.

I was surprised Dunbar didn't make the team, but more surprised that Waters was picked as the TE considering he was moved from position to position during his NT career. I think he was recognized more for his contributions in the NFL and after leaving NT, which I disagree with. Does anyone know his numbers at TE compared to say a Luis Silva, Andy Blount, Randy Gardner, etc...?

• Upvote 2

Spider Lockhart as well.

Spider Lockhart would have been a much better choice than Leonard Dunlap. Dunlap played 5 years in the NFL (with three different teams) and did not earn any all-pro honors. Lockhart played 11 years (all with the Giants) and was all-pro two of those years. If they were going to find a place for Waters mainly for his post-UNT career accomplishments, then they should do the same for Lockhart.

Louis Silva, Mark Witte, Jeff Munchow, or Ron Battle would have been much better choices at TE.

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 2

Spider Lockhart would have been a much better choice than Leonard Dunlap. Dunlap played 5 years in the NFL (with three different teams) and did not earn any all-pro honors. Lockhart played 11 years (all with the Giants) and was all-pro two of those years. If they were going to find a place for Waters mainly for his post-UNT career accomplishments, then they should do the same for Lockhart.

Louis Silva, Mark Witte, Jeff Munchow, or Ron Battle would have been much better choices at TE.

I think that they had to figure out a way to get Waters on the team and they were pretty stocked at DT. I'm ok with it. Waters could be an NFL Hall of Famer with his resume and length of quality service.

Spider Lockhart as well.

Yeah, that's another one. Not sure how he got left behind.

It's not that I didn't love the bowl years, but Spider Lockhart and Beasley Reece were better players than those chosen in the bowl era. I guess its a bit of hypocrisy that Waters is on the team due to his NFL career, yet two-time pro bowler Lockhart is left off. NFL experienced counted for Waters, but not Lockhart. Crazy.

• Upvote 2

• 6 years later...