Hardwick won’t return for Mean Green

Harry

P.J. Hardwick, a freshman guard who started 17 games this season, has elected to leave North Texas and transfer to another school.

UNT men’s coach Tony Benford confirmed Tuesday afternoon that Hardwick would not return to UNT for his sophomore season.

“P.J. has decided to make a move for an opportunity at a better role,” Benford said. “I talked to him and his dad, and he is going to transfer. We wish him the best and appreciate the contributions he made this year. He’s a good kid and a hard worker.”

Hardwick averaged 3.7 points per game and led UNT with 81 assists in his only season with the Mean Green. He became UNT’s starter at point guard when Chris Jones broke his foot in a loss to Western Kentucky on Dec. 29.

“I want to thank the University of North Texas, because it has been a blessing to play here,” Hardwick said in a statement. “I want to thank my teammates and the entire coaching staff, and I wish them nothing but the best.”

Hardwick was the first recruit Benford signed after taking over the program following the 2011-12 season. He is the third player to leave the program since the fall.

Trey Norris transferred to South Dakota before the season started. Former Argyle standout Clarke Overlander announced March 27 that he also is leaving the program.

“We want to keep all the kids who sign,” Benford said. “Having players transfer is part of it. I signed several kids at Marquette who left. When I was at Nebraska and Arizona State, we had players transfer. Sometimes things don’t work out. Kids are not satisfied with their role or their playing time. The program goes on. We will sign quality players.”

Read more: http://www.dentonrc.com/sports/colleges/north-texas-headlines/20130410-notebook-hardwick-wont-return-for-mean-green.ece

I wonder what his definition of quality players is. No coach is going to admit he signs less than quality players, but with Benford I have little confidence that he will.

I wonder if he even knows what a quality player looks like. He got PJ and I think he is quality, but also brought in Coleman. Benford said Coleman is "Big East" caliber and also "most improved" player on the team and in think it fair to day that at least one if those statements is patently untrue. If you really was the most improved then Benford was VERY wrong in signing him.

• Upvote 1

So which one of CJ, Alzee, or TJ do you see him beating out on a consistent basis Mr Barnum?

Oh no, how will we ever replace a 5'8" guard? I wish he would not have left, especially after we invested so many minutes in him that could have gone elsewhere, but he is a nomad with a chip on his shoulder.

Lolz.

• Upvote 1

So which one of CJ, Alzee, or TJ do you see him beating out on a consistent basis Mr Barnum?

Oh no, how will we ever replace a 5'8" guard? I wish he would not have left, especially after we invested so many minutes in him that could have gone elsewhere, but he is a nomad with a chip on his shoulder.

You couldn't be more right. You know, cuz pushing that big bag of nothin' Trey Norris out the door didn't bite us in the ass AT ALL. And Bumford is bringing in so much proven talent right now that we can ignore the fact that kids are fleeing like upper class white folks to a Titanic life boat. Nope, no need for experienced backups on this 12-20 juggernaut.

Jesus, Ford motor company would've just loved to have you working in promotions when the Pinto came out.

Edited by emmitt01
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 3

You don't know PJ if you think he has a chip on his shoulder.

No need to play the race card emmitt.

So you're saying wealthier white people WEREN'T given preference when the Titanic sunk?

Pehaps you should ask the White Star ship company why they played the race card. It's not "playing a card", it's historical fact. Nothing more, nothing less.

I am happy though to see that my one man fan club is still going strong. I'll send the newsletter out shortly.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

What a disaster! The hits just keep on coming.

I won't attend another basketball game until Benford is out.

Emmitt, I love the Titanic reference. Please make sure I get a copy of that newsletter.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

What a disaster! The hits just keep on coming.

I won't attend another basketball game until Benford is out.

Emmitt, I love the Titanic reference. Please make sure I get a copy of that newsletter.

That's sad. The Mean Green are still my team regardless of the players or coach. Hopefully you will change your mind and still support the team in person. Yes, it's very frustrating to watch at times, but it's still fun to cheer for your school IMO

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

That's sad. The Mean Green are still my team regardless of the players or coach. Hopefully you will change your mind and still support the team in person. Yes, it's very frustrating to watch at times, but it's still fun to cheer for your school IMO

The problem is some of us have to go out of our way to go to a game. That's my situation. I'll be at the UTEP game, maybe a few others when it's convenient, but I won't renew season tickets.

It's hard to support a program that the university isn't interested in supporting.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Completely agree Travis! Seems pretty hypocritical to accuse a university of giving up on a team and then in turn doing the same yourself believing it will somehow fix anything...

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

You don't know PJ if you think he has a chip on his shoulder.

Your'e right about that. No basis for that part, but he has shown to be part of a nomad. In addition to whatever issues he may or may not have with the coach that fed him a ton of minutes this year, it seems like he looked at next year and saw that he was going to be back on the bench more than likely and decided he liked his chances elsewhere.

Sounds like you may know him. Why specifically did he leave? Did he believe he was going to be the starter and still decided to leave just to get out of here or did he believe he was going to be a backup and wanted to go where he was going to get more PT?

Edited by greenit
  • Upvote 1

You couldn't be more right. You know, cuz pushing that big bag of nothin' Trey Norris out the door didn't bite us in the ass AT ALL. And Bumford is bringing in so much proven talent right now that we can ignore the fact that kids are fleeing like upper class white folks to a Titanic life boat. Nope, no need for experienced backups on this 12-20 juggernaut.

Jesus, Ford motor company would've just loved to have you working in promotions when the Pinto came out.

Please share your insight. Do you believe he was going to be a starter next season?

• Upvote 1

Please share your insight. Do you believe he was going to be a starter next season?

No. But is there any doubt that, given our injuries and the extended minutes PJ was forced to play, that Trey would have been an asset? And, given that nothing is for certain under Benford...least of all wins...having every player possible with playing experience is an asset we can't afford to just piss away. PJ didn't leave because he never saw the floor.

• Upvote 2

No. But is there any doubt that, given our injuries and the extended minutes PJ was forced to play, that Trey would have been an asset? And, given that nothing is for certain under Benford...least of all wins...having every player possible with playing experience is an asset we can't afford to just piss away. PJ didn't leave because he never saw the floor.

Don't get me wrong, I agree with the sentiment that Benford has brought a big bag of nothing so far. However, it is pretty common for new coaches to run off existing players when they arrive so I won't single him out for that. Norris was a good example. PJ is a little more perplexing since Benford recruited him and he played heavy minutes last season. Overlander did not do himself any favors last year with his performance. Unless he was going to get significantly better, his departure may may open up a spot that would have otherwise been wasted.

We will see. If the team totally tanks to start next season, hopefully the AD will act. I would rather that the team just play better and it become a non issue, but if the players quit on the coach like they did several times last year, something has to be done. Lose twice to ULM, really? That is on coaches AND players in my book. TM absolutely laid down in the first game.

• Upvote 1

Don't get me wrong, I agree with the sentiment that Benford has brought a big bag of nothing so far. However, it is pretty common for new coaches to run off existing players when they arrive so I won't single him out for that. Norris was a good example. PJ is a little more perplexing since Benford recruited him and he played heavy minutes last season. Overlander did not do himself any favors last year with his performance. Unless he was going to get significantly better, his departure may may open up a spot that would have otherwise been wasted.

We will see. If the team totally tanks to start next season, hopefully the AD will act. I would rather that the team just play better and it become a non issue, but if the players quit on the coach like they did several times last year, something has to be done. Lose twice to ULM, really? That is on coaches AND players in my book. TM absolutely laid down in the first game.

welcome to the board.

• Upvote 1

Your'e right about that. No basis for that part, but he has shown to be part of a nomad. In addition to whatever issues he may or may not have with the coach that fed him a ton of minutes this year, it seems like he looked at next year and saw that he was going to be back on the bench more than likely and decided he liked his chances elsewhere.

Sounds like you may know him. Why specifically did he leave? Did he believe he was going to be the starter and still decided to leave just to get out of here or did he believe he was going to be a backup and wanted to go where he was going to get more PT?

I haven't talked to PJ in quite some time. But, I did spend quite some time with him and the other players. I found PJ to be incredibly respectful and thoughtful. He was eager to play and committed to UNT primarily because he wanted to be the first recruit to sign with Benford. He was excited to be here and was driven to not just be on the team, but have a strong role on the team. That is what makes me believe he is leaving to find a more important role on a team. Again, i haven't talked to him for awhile.

But, my only point was that if you question his character or his attitude, you do not know PJ. He is a good kid that represented better than most on the team.

Edited by Travis
  • Upvote 2

I haven't talked to PJ in quite some time. But, I did spend quite some time with him and the other players. I found PJ to be incredibly respectful and thoughtful. He was eager to play and committed to UNT primarily because he wanted to be the first recruit to sign with Benford. He was excited to be here and was driven to not just be on the team, but have a strong role on the team. That is what makes me believe he is leaving to find a more important role on a team. Again, i haven't talked to him for awhile.

But, my only point was that if you question his character or his attitude, you do not know PJ. He is a good kid that represented better than most on the team.

Admittedly, a little harsh on my part regarding 'chip on the shoulder' comment. Probably a poor choice of words. Many times players that have been used to being 'the man' is not ready for the alternative. I don't know if that is the issue with PJ, but the number of locations in his past made me pause. Just like a job hopper. Without the whole story, I tend to assume the most likely reason. I wish him the best of luck and hope he finds a starting position somewhere or whatever he is looking for.

• Upvote 2