Thank you very much for the insight, Harry. I think you said the opposite of what you meant when you mentioned the "dearth" of talent at WR. A lot of encouraging things to take from the write-up....But you sure didn't alleviate my anxiety about the DTs. Thanks for taking the time--we all appreciate it.

• Upvote 2

Appreciate the write-up, but have to disagree with a couple of things.

First, "we have not had that type of exceptional runner at the quarterback position since maybe – Danny Meager?" You might have smoked crack before you wrote this. Riley Dodge is the best running QB we have had in years. Meager? Really?

We lost nothing at DT? Never heard of Cantly?? Probably the best DT on the field last year.

Probably should have worded that differently to say "runner/passer" but I was trying to compare him to another UNT QB and Meager came to my mind. It's hard for me to compare a 5-10 Dodge to 6-4 Berglund. Meager had a great arm and could run. Dodge could run but couldn't throw the ball. Cantly did very little for me in his time here so we'll just have to disagree on that one.

Great write up thanks a lot! I hope we have some guys step up at DT, I think we are pretty solid at DE and I think Bellazin is going to have a 8+ sack year. Being the first year in the Mac era that we are even close to the scholarship limit, this is the first year that I really have high expectations for this team. I expect a winning record this year.

• Upvote 2

Probably should have worded that differently to say "runner/passer" but I was trying to compare him to another UNT QB and Meager came to my mind. It's hard for me to compare a 5-10 Dodge to 6-4 Berglund. Meager had a great arm and could run. Dodge could run but couldn't throw the ball. Cantly did very little for me in his time here so we'll just have to disagree on that one.

I'd say that Bergland has the potential to be the best passer/runner since Scott Hall. Daniel Meager would be a reasonable comparison too. Although he didn't get enough playing time and he never enjoyed playing behind a line like Bergland will be playing behind.

The best comparison would be Scott Davis who was our best ever runner/passer (check out his all-purpose yards stats). Second best would be Mitch Maher,

I also agree with you about Cantley. I always hoped that he would reach his potential, but he never did.

• Upvote 2

Great write up thanks a lot! I hope we have some guys step up at DT, I think we are pretty solid at DE and I think Bellazin is going to have a 8+ sack year. Being the first year in the Mac era that we are even close to the scholarship limit, this is the first year that I really have high expectations for this team. I expect a winning record this year.

One interesting thing I neglected to mention is Bellazin and Jerrian Roberts look almost the same in pads...very similar builds.

I think both positions will improve IF the young tackles Orr, Watson and Wallace keep improving. I think end is better just by virtue of Quenton Brown. Dilonga being in the mix would be gravy.

I'd say that Bergland has the potential to be the best passer/runner since Scott Hall. Daniel Meager would be a reasonable comparison too. Although he didn't get enough playing time and he never enjoyed playing behind a line like Bergland will be playing behind.

The best comparison would be Scott Davis who was our best ever runner/passer (check out his all-purpose yards stats). Second best would be Mitch Maher,

I also agree with you about Cantley. I always hoped that he would reach his potential, but he never did.

How would you compare Berglund to Vizza?

How would you compare Berglund to Vizza?

Hmmm, completely forgot about Vizza. Bergland is a step or so faster and their arm strength and release is about the same. It would be interesting to see how Vissa would have done behind last years line.

Here are Vizza's total offense numbers.

2008 Giovanni Vizza (rushing) 116 (passing) 2828 (total off) 2944

2007 Giovanni Vizza (rushing) 299 (passing) 2388 (total off) 2687

Here is Riley's #'s

2009 Riley Dodge (rushing) 463 (passing) 1,975 (total offense) 2,438

• Upvote 1

Hmmm, completely forgot about Vizza. Bergland is a step or so faster and their arm strength and release is about the same. It would be interesting to see how Vissa would have done behind last years line.

Here are Vizza's total offense numbers.

2008 Giovanni Vizza (rushing) 116 (passing) 2828 (total off) 2944

2007 Giovanni Vizza (rushing) 299 (passing) 2388 (total off) 2687

Here is Riley's #'s

2009 Riley Dodge (rushing) 463 (passing) 1,975 (total offense) 2,438

I had the same thought about past QB's with this offensive line. It's great to hear in these reports that our o-line continues to look big and physical. I'll never forget when FIU showed up to Fouts towards the end of the Dodge era and all I could think about is how their offensive line looked HUGE compared to ours. Honestly, the o-line development has been one of the things that I've been most pleased with since Mac's arrival.

I think if Brock can play at a similar or (hopefully) better level than Vizza was able to during those years, that the offense will really pick up compared to the last two years. Could really help us from bogging down in the red zone.

• Upvote 1

Thanks to everyone for the kind comments and fair criticism. More pics and coverage coming later for today's scrimmage. Biggest news item is Berglund was out after two series with some type of leg issue but it did not appear serious. He seemed to have some type of hitch in his gait -- hate to see him miss reps but it happens. Good productive scrimmage and I will share my thoughts on it later.