The impact of Overlander’s departure

Harry

UNTs roster is going to look a whole lot different next season.

That was already going to be the case, thanks to the departure of a pretty large group of seniors.

Then Trey Norris elected to transfer before the season began. Then Tony Mitchell declared for the NBA draft, as expected. And now Clarke Overlander has also elected to leave the program.

There are a couple of ways to look at Overlanders departure simple math and the loss of a player with local ties who just didnt pan out.

Lets start with the case of Overlander as a player and a person. Hes a great guy. Anyone will tell you that. He did and said all the right things. He just didnt make the impact UNT had hoped for, and the circumstances he faced didnt help matters. UNT suffered a bad string of injuries last season, which pretty much eliminated the possibility of Overlander playing sparingly and developing over the long-term like he needed to after making a huge jump up in the level of competition from Argyle.

UNT needed Overlander to fill the role that Brandan Walton held as the Mean Greens designated 3-point shooter after the senior broke his foot in the Mean Greens season-opener. Overlander didnt come close to succeeding, shooting 15.2 percent. UNT head coach Tony Benford talked all season about how terrible UNT was in terms of 3-point shooting.

Its not going to hurt UNT to see Overlander leave, at least not in terms of his contributions on the court.

Read more: http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2013/03/the-impact-of-overlanders-depature.html/

We win at least 14 if not 16

My how far we've fallen. This time a year ago we would have bristled at a 14 or 16 seed in the NCAA tournament. Now "14 if not 16" is a possible win total for next season . . . and that's the extremist view.

If only there were something we could do to restore hope . . .

• Upvote 1

We win at least 14 if not 16

I think we would win 16 or more games next season.

If all goes well and everyone comes back minus are seniors and Mitchell we will push 18 wins.

I wish I had a screencap of the 23 win prediction from a game chat back in January... Basically, just give it another 10-12 weeks, and reality will finish sinking in.

And if you're wondering about a discount rate...

30=12. By conversion, 16=6.4.

Even I think 7 wins is pessimistic, Andrew.

If that post was made Oct., 2012, it was probably made by Andrew's alter ego, the Skiv man.

Slivers old posts magically have all changed to Andrew when you pull them up now. But, it's really not the sane person, so Andrew has an out... Sort of.

Well I am basing my wins on what I see... Mitchell gone and the lack of big men setting in at this point. If we can get a solid juco post player then I would predict over 16 to 18 again. You really have zero logic and then attempt to act witty in an attempt to makeup for it. So if we had Mitchell stay and brought in a solid JUCO You would not change you wins and loses. You are a fool. You act on emotion and not on logic.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 6