Nice Article on Kaydon Kirby

UNTLifer

So yet again, 6'3" and 300 lbs really mean 6' and about 275.

Why colleges and high schools lie about measurables is something I'll never understand.

Because you have measured him and have his correct height and weight?

Look, we aren't going to compete with Alabama for recruits, so stop using them as an example. The line between zero stars, which means they were not observed, and 3 stars can be minimal. What were the ratings for Scott Hall, Booger, Awasome, Hurd (walk on), Cardwell, Cobbs, Dunbar, Quinn, Zuniga, Brewster, etc...? Many led us to four straight bowls and a 26 game conference winning streak?

Quit criticizing these kids before they even play a down for us. Trice was a 4 star recruit and is now running second team and the muchheralded WR transfer from OU never did anything and he was a 3 star recruit. There are exceptions to every rule, so I believe we should give these young men that chose our university a chance before we relegate them to the scrap heap. One of our best receivers in recent years, Fitzgerald, was a walk-on that few had ever heard about until he was given a chance. All I am asking is that you give them a chance, then again, that is probably hard for you since you drink from a half empty glass while looking through turd colored glasses.

Because you have measured him and have his correct height and weight?

Look, we aren't going to compete with Alabama for recruits, so stop using them as an example. The line between zero stars, which means they were not observed, and 3 stars can be minimal. What were the ratings for Scott Hall, Booger, Awasome, Hurd (walk on), Cardwell, Cobbs, Dunbar, Quinn, Zuniga, Brewster, etc...? Many led us to four straight bowls and a 26 game conference winning streak?

Quit criticizing these kids before they even play a down for us. Trice was a 4 star recruit and is now running second team and the muchheralded WR transfer from OU never did anything and he was a 3 star recruit. There are exceptions to every rule, so I believe we should give these young men that chose our university a chance before we relegate them to the scrap heap. One of our best receivers in recent years, Fitzgerald, was a walk-on that few had ever heard about until he was given a chance. All I am asking is that you give them a chance, then again, that is probably hard for you since you drink from a half empty glass while looking through turd colored glasses.

I haven't critized any player. You said that recruiting rankings don't matter. They absolutely do.

And you are right, there are EXCEPTIONS.

Here is a definition for you: "an instance or case not conforming to the general rule."

As for Kirby's height and weight, I just don't see Mac calling a kid "undersized" for the center position if that kid is actually 6'3" 300lbs. If you have a problem with that, maybe you should take it up with Mac.

And your right, there has been so much to be glass half full lately. My mistake. If I'm donning the turd colored glasses, you have on the rosiest of all.

Edited by UNT90

I haven't critized any player. You said that recruiting rankings don't matter. They absolutely do.

And you are right, there are EXCEPTIONS.

Here is a definition for you: "an instance or case not conforming to the general rule."

As for Kirby's height and weight, I just don't see Mac calling a kid "undersized" for the center position if that kid is actually 6'3" 300lbs. If you have a problem with that, maybe you should take it up with Mac.

And your right, there has been so much to be glass half full lately. My mistake. If I'm donning the turd colored glasses, you have on the rosiest of all.

Like I said, he is at least 6'2" and the reason Mac called him undersized is because he was in high school, at least for a Division 1 lineman. He been at or around 300 lbs pretty much since he's been here though.

Agree with you on rankings, they do matter as a whole for classes, but not always with individuals. As you said, there are exceptions.

So yet again, 6'3" and 300 lbs really mean 6' and about 275.

Why colleges and high schools lie about measurables is something I'll never understand.

Dodge actually did list the correct heights, his first year and everybody wondered why the same players were nearly all shorter. A practice that was quickly dropped.

The facts are almost all college football teams overstate heights and anyone who does not, will look like a horrible recruiter. I did a survey years ago comparing roster heights versus Pro combines and the average was 1 1/2" overstated.

I don't see the same thing in men basketball, there are cases like Josh White and others but IMO overstating the heights is not as rampant. Except in WBB, were heights must be taken in high heels.

Honestly though, why do we all seem to be so concerned with Kirby's size? Why does it matter if he's 20 pounds bigger and 2 inches taller than you originally thought? As long as he goes out there, plays his heart out (which he is obviously doing) he benefits the team. The bottom line is, Mac made a good decision picking up Kirby because he was dominating guys in high school who were being scouted by D1 college teams.

Honestly though, why do we all seem to be so concerned with Kirby's size? Why does it matter if he's 20 pounds bigger and 2 inches taller than you originally thought? As long as he goes out there, plays his heart out (which he is obviously doing) he benefits the team. The bottom line is, Mac made a good decision picking up Kirby because he was dominating guys in high school who were being scouted by D1 college teams.

I agree completely about Kirby obviously being a great addition, it's just how do you trust that undersized defensive tackles, lets say, that are listed at 265 aren't really 245 when this type of lying is blatantly widespread in college sports?

And I would completely disagree with men's basketball not being in the same boat. Anyone who ever stood next to Eric Trammiel (a great inside player for us) knows that he was lucky to hot 6'5 " on the chart, yet he was listed at 6'7". Same for some recent recruits. But does it really matter in basketball because everyone does it?