UNT parts ways with backup

Brett Vito

I hate to see this, I thought that he would be able to develop into a quality player for us. It was unfortunate that he was thrust into the role he was so early in his career. He would have probably been better served with a RS season this year to adjust to the college game and get ready for next year.

• Upvote 2

Hate when anyone leaves the program but Clarke was a questionable signing when he committed to JJ. (My opinion). I'm as disappointed about the past season as anyone but I can't blame Tony Benford for Clarke's departure. A shooting percentage of 15% in D1, junior college or middle school isn't going to cut it. Clarke is a good kid and I'm convinced that HE made the decision that is best for him. Hopefully, JJ will find a spot for him on the roster.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

Hate when anyone leaves the program but Clarke was a questionable signing when he committed to JJ. (My opinion). I'm as disappointed about the past season as anyone but I can't blame Tony Benford for Clarke's departure. A shooting percentage of 15% in D1, junior college or middle school isn't going to cut it. Clarke is a good kid and I'm convinced that HE made the decision that is best for him. Hopefully, JJ will find a spot for him on the roster.

Not all that bad. For a Benford team.

• Upvote 5

So it's a coincidence that we get a commit from a shootong guard and Clarke goes from tweeting about looking forward to practicing in the new facility to transfering and you think it was his idea? I'm sure that it was his idea after a talk with Benford about his role in the program going forward, but I don't think Clarke woke up and decided "Gee, I think I'll transfer today." I think he was told that he was being replaced. And I don't necessarily have a problem with that.

But to say this was 100% Clarke's idea is a load of BS, in my humble opinion.

Also, better hope Carrington can qualify, or else we are still looking for a shooting guard 3 weeks from signing day.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

"I'm sure that it was his idea after a talk with Benford about his role in the program going forward"

"But to say this was 100% Clarke's idea is a load of BS, in my humble opinion".

That's exactly how it probably happened. Clarke made a decision to leave 100% on his own after meeting with Benford. I'm sure Benford met/lmeets with all players individually to discuss things guys need to work on. That's the way it is everywhere and should be! In the discussion, the coach couldn't assure the player that playing time would increase the following year. With that bit of info, the player decides to transfer out for more playing time. Now, did Benford tell the kid that he needed his scholarship?. No, I don't believe that. Maybe last year with Trey Norris (with a Bue Chip prospect waiting in the wings)

We don't know when the Ward kid committed. I just stumbled up on it this week. Vito placed a call to his coach to confirm. We are all sweating out whether we will land a big man. The staff may have secured a commitment/agreement from a big man months ago.

Edited by Cooley
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

ummm...actually...

Yep. A little off on that one... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_von_Hindenburg

Though Hindenburg's own military ability is disputed,[5] he had a team of talented and able subordinates who won him a series of great victories on the Eastern Front between 1914–1916. These victories transformed Hindenburg into Germany's most popular man.[6] During the war, Hindenburg was the subject of an enormous personality cult. He was seen as the perfect embodiment of German manly honour, rectitude, decency and strength[citation needed].

Yep. A little off on that one... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_von_Hindenburg

Actually I was just disputing the "- blimp" part. You know...because he's a fat ass.

Glad to know my joke had layers...and glad it was you who picked up on it. You know, we make a good team...we should do a podcast...on anything but UNT basketball.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I don't know... I think a Nightline/Iranian Hostage Crisis podcast approach could work.

Otherwise, we have to find another mutual interest.

I had the number of days since we blew the UAH game as a meme for awhile? Yall can take it and run with it.

"I'm sure that it was his idea after a talk with Benford about his role in the program going forward"

"But to say this was 100% Clarke's idea is a load of BS, in my humble opinion".

That's exactly how it probably happened. Clarke made a decision to leave 100% on his own after meeting with Benford. I'm sure Benford met/lmeets with all players individually to discuss things guys need to work on. That's the way it is everywhere and should be! In the discussion, the coach couldn't assure the player that playing time would increase the following year. With that bit of info, the player decides to transfer out for more playing time. Now, did Benford tell the kid that he needed his scholarship?. No, I don't believe that. Maybe last year with Trey Norris (with a Bue Chip prospect waiting in the wings)

We don't know when the Ward kid committed. I just stumbled up on it this week. Vito placed a call to his coach to confirm. We are all sweating out whether we will land a big man. The staff may have secured a commitment/agreement from a big man months ago.

We will never know, but Clarke wanted to be here. He wanted to be here badly. Kinda rare for a local kid. And he did a complete 180 in a very short amount of time. I'm sure Clarke was urged to transfer, and like I said, I really don't have a problem with that.

Just don't try to tell me that Clarke suddenly made this decision all on his own.

Ain't buying it.

Edited by UNT90

We could make this into a movie.

"Argo Eff Yourself : The Tony Benford Crisis"

Title was taken from the transcript of the Benford/Brady exchange.

I hope Bill Murray plays me.

Well, we have already gotten Clarke Overlander released from the Benford compound, probably with one or two more to go, so maybe the Argo theme could apply.

And come on, man. In the movie, we are all bit players. Kinda like the dudes swinging by the neck from the Cranes in the original.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

We will never know, but Clarke wanted to be here. He wanted to be here badly. Kinda rare for a local kid. And he did a complete 180 in a very short amount of time. I'm sure Clarke was urged to transfer, and like I said, I really don't have a problem with that.

Just don't try to tell me that Clarke suddenly made this decision all on his own.

Ain't buying it.

Just another example of where a local kid who wanted to play here, in the end won't. See also Scotty Young.

• Upvote 3