CBS Hot Seat Index - Sun Belt

Harry

North Texas: Tony Benford – Of all the new coaches taking over jobs this season, Benford might have had the most disappointing. With future pro Tony Mitchell leading the way, North Texas had expectations coming into the season – yet the Mean Green struggled with injuries en route to a 12-19 (7-13 in the Sun Belt) campaign. HOT SEAT INDEX: 4

Read more: http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/blog/eye-on-college-basketball/21833469/hot-seat-index-sun-belt-conference

It was one season all is not lost... Even after next season we still have hope. I just enjoy watching them play. Win or lose it is fun!

Actually I thought it was pretty depressing. I planned on going to some road games this year but went to a total of zero. The writing was on the wall from the get go. Of course I will still have hope for next season (skeptical optimism) if we can somehow find a quality big man.

• Upvote 2

My, how we have fallen. :no:

I enjoy winning but in general I enjoy sports. Especially basketball. I just want some good close games and close rivals. That is whyi think it would be stupid going to the MWC. I want to play rice, Houston, utep, it's, Texas state etc.... And have fun in state rivalries. Enough with the conference crap and enough with the always having pressure to win. Let's just have some fun win some games and build our brand.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

It was one season all is not lost... Even after next season we still have hope. I just enjoy watching them play. Win or lose it is fun!

I had watched/attended/listened to every game for the last 7 years. After about game 5 I didn't watch/attend/listen to a single game. It was not fun for me.

• Upvote 1

Sadly, this is the attitude of everybody involved with the program that has power, money or both.

If you're having "fun" watching losing teams, then why change anything, right?

I believe they should have a different attitude. It is their job after all, but I do think that they care and want to win. For me if I am not coaching then I am ok with a loss here or there. I love the game. Even when we lose.

• Upvote 2

I believe they should have a different attitude. It is their job after all, but I do think that they care and want to win. For me if I am not coaching then I am ok with a loss here or there. I love the game. Even when we lose.

A loss here or there? Damn, I must have been watching the wrong team!

• Upvote 1

Sorry if this is too much personal revelation, but it seems to fit the topic, especially given the replies thus far. One of the only times my father ever seemed proud of me was the day I decided to start lifting weights and threw out all of my stupid "participation trophies". I was sick of getting beat up every day and didn't feel like I should get anything for just showing up at sports, being terrible, and then having my teammates and every other kid in school beat the crap out of me on the bus and in between classes.

So, you might think that this gained me a bit more respect when I stuck to a strict regimen with weight training, running, and swimming, and got strong enough to fight back and even stand up for other kids, along with finally becoming the varsity athlete he always wanted in a son. Instead, with every achievement - including academics and art, which helped me obtain a scholarship to a school 1500 miles away, where I achieved even more in many areas - he always referred back to his disappointment in my lack of commitment in my middle-school and early teen years. No matter the accomplishment or goal, I was labeled by my own family as such a failure that they don't even want to meet my children, because they "know" that I will be a failure as a father.

As our University community has been a better family to me than my own - and considering some of our rifts and trials over the years, yes, that is still the case - this seems like a perfect metaphor. We see underachievement, and are annoyed for long enough to accept it as the standard, but when success arrives, we communally accept it as an anomaly. Then, when things begin to go poorly again, we say, "see, I told you so".

This is a two-way issue. The teams need to feel like a kid who is sick of getting punched in the stomach and kicked in the face, and do something about it. But the UNT community must be a more supportive parent and support their child (the kids on our teams) in their quest to do so. And there may be fights lost and goals not achieved, but if we stand by each other and make a real commitment, we will be the University family unit, dysfunctional and diverse as we are, that is needed to pull through this together, for any goal we choose to pursue.

• Upvote 5

Sorry if this is too much personal revelation, but it seems to fit the topic, especially given the replies thus far. One of the only times my father ever seemed proud of me was the day I decided to start lifting weights and threw out all of my stupid "participation trophies". I was sick of getting beat up every day and didn't feel like I should get anything for just showing up at sports, being terrible, and then having my teammates and every other kid in school beat the crap out of me on the bus and in between classes.

So, you might think that this gained me a bit more respect when I stuck to a strict regimen with weight training, running, and swimming, and got strong enough to fight back and even stand up for other kids, along with finally becoming the varsity athlete he always wanted in a son. Instead, with every achievement - including academics and art, which helped me obtain a scholarship to a school 1500 miles away, where I achieved even more in many areas - he always referred back to his disappointment in my lack of commitment in my middle-school and early teen years. No matter the accomplishment or goal, I was labeled by my own family as such a failure that they don't even want to meet my children, because they "know" that I will be a failure as a father.

As our University community has been a better family to me than my own - and considering some of our rifts and trials over the years, yes, that is still the case - this seems like a perfect metaphor. We see underachievement, and are annoyed for long enough to accept it as the standard, but when success arrives, we communally accept it as an anomaly. Then, when things begin to go poorly again, we say, "see, I told you so".

This is a two-way issue. The teams need to feel like a kid who is sick of getting punched in the stomach and kicked in the face, and do something about it. But the UNT community must be a more supportive parent and support their child (the kids on our teams) in their quest to do so. And there may be fights lost and goals not achieved, but if we stand by each other and make a real commitment, we will be the University family unit, dysfunctional and diverse as we are, that is needed to pull through this together, for any goal we choose to pursue.

That's the thing though. It's the metaphorical "parents" in North Texas athletics that we have little faith in.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Imagine your Dad never financially supporting you in athletics even after you showed interest, continuously making it hard for you to have the same equipment that fellow teammates had to succeed, then substitute the UNT administration for your father in this metophor and you will see why many are frustrated with UNT athletics.

And don't worry, we realize this is petty jealousy and bad parentng and nothing that the child has done.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1