Are you sure you want teachers with guns.?

--- Secret service agent accidently fired one..... and he is extremely well trained in thier use... I am not rabid anti-gun (own-them) but having teachers with one will kill many more people by accident that it saves. Having one on campus (locked up) or in a car may make sense but not in any classroom or crowded hallway.

http://news.yahoo.com/oops-u-secret-almost-accidentally-shot-irans-president-072000986.html

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2013/04/deep-state/309260/ (better)

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

--- Secret service agent accidently fired one..... and he is extremely well trained in thier use... I am not rabid anti-gun (own-them) but having teachers with one will kill many more people by accident that it saves. Having one on campus (locked up) or in a car may make sense but not in any classroom or crowded hallway.

http://news.yahoo.com/oops-u-secret-almost-accidentally-shot-irans-president-072000986.html

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2013/04/deep-state/309260/ (better)

Right, because keeping a gun where you can't get to it when you need it makes perfect sense.

You regurgitate the same fear-mongering propaganda that was used by opponents of concealed carry, yet there has been far less gun crime/injuries by accidental discharge from this group than those withoit a conceal carry permit.

If we were to believe you, teachers would accidentally be shooting stidents dead every day. Hogwash, and you know it.

Back when I lived in Arlington, their was a convenience store in my neighborhood (a pretty good meighborhood, not that that matters in Arlingyon). The store had been robbed 3 times in 2 months. I go in one day and see the clerk carrying a glock 9mm openly in a belt holster. I ask her what was going on. She told me the owner ordered them to wear the guns and provided concealed carry training for all employees. The owner ordered them to wear the weapon openly while at work. You could see the clerk was armed from outside the store through the plate glass window. Perfectly legal (private property).

Well, in the year and a half after making this change, that store not only had not suffered another robbery, but the owner told me that they had not had to call police one time. Not for a disturbance, not for a theft, nothing. He also told me that his inventory was constantly coming out dead on when he did his books. He said that having his employees wear a firearm openly was the best business decision he ever made.

Violent Criminals are inherently cowards. They pick on the weak. They want nothing to do with someone capable of resisting their particular crime. Too bad one of the teachers wasn't armed at Bewtown, not because they would have shot the mass murderer, but because the mass murderer would not have chosen that location, a location he was very familiar with since his mom taught there, as a target. He would have known that teachers carry weapons at that school and, at the very least, moved on to another target. It may have even completely prevented the mass murderer from his task (considering he probably did not have such intimate knowledge of any other elementary school.

Or we could follow your Bill Clements-esqe suggestions.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

i'm a teacher and do not want to carry one at school and don't think teachers should have them. whacko's will do what they want, when they want...and sadly, i really don't think they can be stopped. no one knows when or where something tragic will happen...

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 1

I don't think teachers should be carrying guns on campus... but i also think this is a good argument... this is like saying citizens shouldn't drive cars because a Nascar driver gets into a wreck off the track by accident...

like THOR said... crazy people are going to do what they want... specifically because they don't give a damn about the rules... unless you had some type of minority report situation thing going, i don't know what we can do

Right, because keeping a gun where you can't get to it when you need it makes perfect sense.

You regurgitate the same fear-mongering propaganda that was used by opponents of concealed carry, yet there has been far less gun crime/injuries by accidental discharge from this group than those withoit a conceal carry permit.

If we were to believe you, teachers would accidentally be shooting stidents dead every day. Hogwash, and you know it.

Back when I lived in Arlington, their was a convenience store in my neighborhood (a pretty good meighborhood, not that that matters in Arlingyon). The store had been robbed 3 times in 2 months. I go in one day and see the clerk carrying a glock 9mm openly in a belt holster. I ask her what was going on. She told me the owner ordered them to wear the guns and provided concealed carry training for all employees. The owner ordered them to wear the weapon openly while at work. You could see the clerk was armed from outside the store through the plate glass window. Perfectly legal (private property).

Well, in the year and a half after making this change, that store not only had not suffered another robbery, but the owner told me that they had not had to call police one time. Not for a disturbance, not for a theft, nothing. He also told me that his inventory was constantly coming out dead on when he did his books. He said that having his employees wear a firearm openly was the best business decision he ever made.

Right, because comparing a school to a convenience store makes perfect sense.

• Upvote 9
  • Downvote 3

Who would -1 this?

It's completely right. Convenient store inventory is completely different than the students I teach every day.

I am completely opposed to teachers carrying guns. Does anybody want the 60 year old English teacher carrying? I sure as heck don't.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

---Looks like those of us who have actually been there (in a classroom ) absolutely oppose it....

---part II -- why just 60+ yr olds..... I am that.... and I am a lot more careful with guns than most 20 yr. olds... not dead in the head either.... still capable of teaching college calculus... I do it.

---Comparing a school to 7-11 is nuts... obviously those have never WORKED in public school really don't get it and what could and would go wrong. No.... I realize having one in a car isn't going to be quickly obtained...but could be on site in a couple of minutes. . but that is worlds bettter than having one in the classroom and dealing with what might and would happen if one was there... It was not unusual for me as a student and as a teacher to have one there... but not much for protection.... My family owned ranchland (for snakes etc.) In 40 years in classrooms... never witnessed a situation in any district-situation where one was needed on campus. ...very rare.

---

• Upvote 2

Let me add to my last post. I believe one teacher per wing in the school should have a gun in their desk locked away. They only people that know are that one teacher and the administrators. Any more guns you gotta worry about cross fire, who shot whom etc.

Edited by mgfan

Right, because an armed crime is far more likely to happen in a convenience store that it is a school, and having armed clerks stopped those crimes from happening.

Do I need to draw you a map?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

Right, because an armed crime is far more likely to happen in a convenience store that it is a school, and having armed clerks stopped those crimes from happening.

Do I need to draw you a map?

If you drew it on your phone I can't imagine it'd help him get anywhere.

• Upvote 1

---Looks like those of us who have actually been there (in a classroom ) absolutely oppose it....

---part II -- why just 60+ yr olds..... I am that.... and I am a lot more careful with guns than most 20 yr. olds... not dead in the head either.... still capable of teaching college calculus... I do it.

---Comparing a school to 7-11 is nuts... obviously those have never WORKED in public school really don't get it and what could and would go wrong. No.... I realize having one in a car isn't going to be quickly obtained...but could be on site in a couple of minutes. . but that is worlds bettter than having one in the classroom and dealing with what might and would happen if one was there... It was not unusual for me as a student and as a teacher to have one there... but not much for protection.... My family owned ranchland (for snakes etc.) In 40 years in classrooms... never witnessed a situation in any district-situation where one was needed on campus. ...very rare.

---

Well played sir...

--

Additionally, how would police/SWAT officers know who is the gunman and who is a vigilante citizen? Just more thoughts and questions that I don't have the answers to.

Well played sir...

--

Additionally, how would police/SWAT officers know who is the gunman and who is a vigilante citizen? Just more thoughts and questions that I don't have the answers to.

First, it's a deterrent. With armed teachers, you won't have mass shooting at schools.

2nd, in the event that a shooter did enter the high school , the teacher will have plenty of time to confront the shooter before police arrive.

And if your still worried, issue IDs that hang on lanyards that can be seen by responding authorities.

And all I see is people posting that this is illogical. I'd love an explanation of why they feel that way.

You no, if they can get passed my poor grammer and all.

I say it is so, therefore it is so! All the proof you need, Sir!

What? Not good enough for you? I'm shocked...absolutely shocked I say!

Edited by KRAM1
  • Downvote 1

First, it's a deterrent. With armed teachers, you won't have mass shooting at schools.

2nd, in the event that a shooter did enter the high school , the teacher will have plenty of time to confront the shooter before police arrive.

And if your still worried, issue IDs that hang on lanyards that can be seen by responding authorities.

And all I see is people posting that this is illogical. I'd love an explanation of why they feel that way.

You no, if they can get passed my poor grammer and all.

--

---How many mass shootings in public schools have taken place in Texas in the last 40-50 years?... name some. [a kid bringing a gun to school and doing nothing doesn't count ] Having an armed teacher would not stop that... and if fact might have caused a shooting when confronted.

---In that time millions of people have graduated from a high school. We have had mass shootings at Ft. Hood (military base) where 1000's of guns are present and in Killeen at a restaurant (Lubys) which is near a military base. We had one notable college incident at UT about 50 years ago.

---It would make a lot more sense to carry a gun to 7-11 when you buy things there... probably 100's have been killed there in that time.... or to a bar. (which is now illegal also)

---This is all about risk vs. reward... the risk of accidents is far more than the reward (lives saved) . Besides considering how disrespectful many kids and stressful education is now... I wouldn't bet the against some teacher with a gun being the one that goes nuts and starts shooting..... It is a really dumb idea.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

--

---How many mass shootings in public schools have taken place in Texas in the last 40-50 years?... name some. [a kid bringing a gun to school and doing nothing doesn't count ] Having an armed teacher would not stop that... and if fact might have caused a shooting when confronted.

---In that time millions of people have graduated from a high school. We have had mass shootings at Ft. Hood (military base) where 1000's of guns are present and in Killeen at a restaurant (Lubys) which is near a military base. We had one notable college incident at UT about 50 years ago.

---It would make a lot more sense to carry a gun to 7-11 when you buy things there... probably 100's have been killed there in that time.... or to a bar. (which is now illegal also)

---This is all about risk vs. reward... the risk of accidents is far more than the reward (lives saved) . Besides considering how disrespectful many kids and stressful education is now... I wouldn't bet the against some teacher with a gun being the one that goes nuts and starts shooting..... It is a really dumb idea.

First bold is blatantly untrue. Weapons are not allowed to be carried in common areas of military bases, except by Military police. Too bad that they weren't. The shooting would have never happened.

You really shouldn't cite Luby's AT ALL. Let me introduce you to Suzanna Hupp.

As for the second bold, maybe you are expressing self-concern? :unsure:

And I love your idea of sticking our collective heads in the sand and ignoring what has happened in other states, with the great logic that what happens there couldn't happen here. Wedgewood Baptist Church in Fort Worth happened. If that guy had chosen a school instead of a church, then what would you say?

This should be left up to the individual districts to decide if they want to do it, how they want to do it, and who they want to arm. Wow, delegating power as close to the inddividual as possible. What a concept.

And for those of you that haven't seen it, you may want to check out this story. Ya, there is zero chance the government will come for your guns for no reason. Zero chance...:

http://news.yahoo.com/cops-raid-family-home-over-facebook-photo-child-151606241.html

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1