Alzee Williams

Shark84

Has anyone been able to find out what Alzee did to get suspended from Friday's game? The school officials we asked weren't going to say, just that it was a "serious" violation and was his third violation of team rules this season. I think we deserve to know what happened and is this the type of kid we want in our program his senior year? College age kids make some stupid choices but for me, if it was serious enough for him to have to miss a tournament game, can we count on this kid going forward next year. He really let his team down when they needed him the most. Very selfish on his part. Not knowing what he did makes me question Benford's decision to make him sit out. Back in the day, coaches just ran your butt off for team violations! Just another moment in a horrible season.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

I think a few people on these boards know but I do not think anyone will answer this.... I am pretty sure it would just make things worse and you do not want those kind of things on print.

I would also like to point out that he has had issues in the past, but a past coach let things slide. That is why we ended up having players not make the grades and a few other issues that never made it to the front of a headline. I guess I am not following meangreentexas post though. I guess I could steal (not saying this is what Alzee did) and it is all cool as long as I do not get caught or the coach lets it slide. I think Alzee will be back next season but on a short leash. I hope he makes better life decisions. He has had a lot going on this year and needs to grow up a bit. I know we all want him to be here next season and make the right choices.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 3

Unfortunately I've got no idea what actually happened in this particular case.

What I CAN tell you though, from the perspective of a student who lives with the basketball team in their dorm, is that the lack of discipline/intelligence/seriousness/etc/etc/etc/etc is far too under-appreciated when looking at what happened this year. Not saying they're bad kids, but the only guys who seemingly have any semblance of a touch of reality are Niko and Roger.

• Upvote 4

What I CAN tell you though, from the perspective of a student who lives with the basketball team in their dorm, is that the lack of discipline/intelligence/seriousness/etc/etc/etc/etc is far too under-appreciated when looking at what happened this year. Not saying they're bad kids, but the only guys who seemingly have any semblance of a touch of reality are Niko and Roger.

:sneaky:

We don't know, and we probably wont know unless a student comes on and spills.

What we do know is that Alzee was a fantastic guy with no discipline problems for 3 years here, and all of a sudden he has discipline issues...

You are mistaken about the no discipline problems in prior years. Most decidedly wrong. JJ handled it differently. Maybe if he had not Alzee would have learned a bit faster about consequences.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

And Overlander to name another with a firm grasp of reality. Perhaps you were talking about current starters?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

But, but I thought Benford was the problem based on your comments in the other thread? Not trying to argue, just looking for clarification.

I think a few people on these boards know but I do not think anyone will answer this.... I am pretty sure it would just make things worse and you do not want those kind of things on print.

I would also like to point out that he has had issues in the past, but a past coach let things slide. That is why we ended up having players not make the grades and a few other issues that never made it to the front of a headline. I guess I am not following meangreentexas post though. I guess I could steal (not saying this is what Alzee did) and it is all cool as long as I do not get caught or the coach lets it slide. I think Alzee will be back next season but on a short leash. I hope he makes better life decisions. He has had a lot going on this year and needs to grow up a bit. I know we all want him to be here next season and make the right choices.

Kind of a long winded way to say you don't know. :P

Strange. From what I was told by a mom close to the program JJ didn't just "let things slide" as some are so quick to assert.

JJ had a renowned and occasionally deep dog-house for those who violate team rules. Benford has to suspend players for the same because he lacks the self-control to not sub in a player in uniform.

The game-suspensions and not the not starting TM twice are all an act. It's "look at me, I'm a hard-nosed, no-nonsense disciplinarian of a coach" just like the stomping around on the sideline is a "look at me, I'm coaching!" or the machine-gun subs are a "look at me, I've a unique and creative game-plan." It's the sort of thing that happens in high school.

Benford is that guy who walks really quickly around your office and always seems flustered to mask the fact that he isn't doing shit.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

JJ had a renowned and occasionally deep dog-house for those who violate team rules. Benford has to suspend players for the same because he lacks the self-control to not sub in a player in uniform.

The game-suspensions and not the not starting TM twice are all an act. It's "look at me, I'm a hard-nosed, no-nonsense disciplinarian of a coach" just like the stomping around on the sideline is a "look at me, I'm coaching!" or the machine-gun subs are a "look at me, I've a unique and creative game-plan." It's the sort of thing that happens in high school.

Benford is that guy who walks really quickly around your office and always seems flustered to mask the fact that he isn't doing shit.

Excellent analysis, thus the "Four suit" bravado. Can you imagine John Wooden or Pat Summitt saying something like that?

You are mistaken about the no discipline problems in prior years. Most decidedly wrong. JJ handled it differently. Maybe if he had not Alzee would have learned a bit faster about consequences.

Now, do you mean like the consequences that TM learned by sitting the 1st 30 seconds of several games??

Building good fathers and husbands in full force in basketball?

Edited by UNT90

JJ didn't let things slide. He was very hard on the players when news came to him about misconduct. And, out of all the coaches, he cared about how they represented most( you wanna know who was the worst... Dickey!). And when they conducted themselves poorly, it really pissed him off. I found JJ very reliable to get things done and that he cared a lot about his players and their behavior. He made his coaches follow players to classes and constantly checked in on classes they were supposed to be in. And when they weren't, the coaches came looking for them.

I know that also pertains to discipline off the court. Just because you didn't hear of suspensions (which there were!), doesn't mean that 1. he wasn't giving them and 2. he wasn't disciplining them.

With that said, I believe that Bedford cares about how players represent themselves and holds them accountable too. i have no doubt he had good reason for what he did and I am happy he upholds a rule (I assume it not arbitrary).

I have said it before, but I know how JJ handled things. This isn't a "I want to believe" or "My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw JJ not displine his players out at 31 Flavors last night" sort of thing. I know he pushed his guys on and off the court.

Edited by Travis
  • Upvote 1

I also think that comes with the frustrations they had with the season. Not an excuse for things.... But, I think the players didn't have complete buy in and were just really disappointed in the season.

• Upvote 1

So what everyone is saying is:

1. None of us really know, so we are speculating on what might have occured.

2. We are drawing assumptions as to what Benford's true personality is and how he conducts himself is a mask to cover up his short comings.

3. The previous coaching staff made the players toe the line.

4. The current coaching staff makes the players toe the line, but the players, being 21 and younger, probably handled JJ leaving and the Benford hiring as most kids this age would, with immaturity.

Since the coaches, players and administration aren't talking directly about this season, the fans go wild with speculation about what really happened based upon one's opinion of the current head coach, the current AD and the players. The real cause is all speculation and will continue to be since I would expect the issues to be resolved in house, but calling Benford names, calling for RV's head on a platter and siding for or against the players does none of us any good without all the facts.

Personally, I think Benford and his extremely experienced staff deserve a second year. If year two contains more uninspired play, discipline issues, etc... then something should be done. Just my HSO.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

JJ was tough on the kids and had high expectations and didn't play around. Do you really think that these kids would have all graduated if it was an undisciplined program?

And I am not sure what Alzee was able to get away with in the past that he didn't get away with this year but I think that is BS. This is just my opinion but I think that it was such a bad year and Benford didn't come in and put his foot down at first and it cost him. Then you had guys missing practice or missing classes so he benched them.

A perfect example would be a new teacher who doesn't lay down the law the first day and then by the end of the year when kids are bad and acting up he is trying to enforce the rules but by then it is too late.

• Upvote 1

JJ was tough on the kids and had high expectations and didn't play around. Do you really think that these kids would have all graduated if it was an undisciplined program?

And I am not sure what Alzee was able to get away with in the past that he didn't get away with this year but I think that is BS. This is just my opinion but I think that it was such a bad year and Benford didn't come in and put his foot down at first and it cost him. Then you had guys missing practice or missing classes so he benched them.

A perfect example would be a new teacher who doesn't lay down the law the first day and then by the end of the year when kids are bad and acting up he is trying to enforce the rules but by then it is too late.

I am pretty sure it was not just missing practices.. again I am waiting for the person who had said what it was earlier to come here and say what it was. But also you don't want to just rag on the players just like you should not rag on the coach. I have heard of the differences in practices between JJ and Benford though. it seems like expectations are a bit higher under this coach. Again there have already been instances mentioned before about this and how a Jordan Williams lazy pass was addressed in practice by this coaching staff.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I am pretty sure it was not just missing practices.. again I am waiting for the person who had said what it was earlier to come here and say what it was. But also you don't want to just rag on the players just like you should not rag on the coach. I have heard of the differences in practices between JJ and Benford though. it seems like expectations are a bit higher under this coach. Again there have already been instances mentioned before about this and how a Jordan Williams lazy pass was addressed in practice by this coaching staff.

From everything that I heard, the only thing that the Benford regime has been tougher on is game day practices. I have heard that JJ was a lot tougher and more demanding. So when things weren't going well it was too late in the year for Benford to try to lay down the law. Then you had kids missing practices and what not.

From everything that I heard, the only thing that the Benford regime has been tougher on is game day practices. I have heard that JJ was a lot tougher and more demanding. So when things weren't going well it was too late in the year for Benford to try to lay down the law. Then you had kids missing practices and what not.

Ok the instance that was mentioned early was a pass Jordan made in practice. They were working on offense and Patton picked off one of his passes. Benford jumped on Jordan for a lazy pass and Joedan said it was practice and the defense was not suppose to be going all out. Benford essentially responded that is the problem. If the defense goes hard you go hard and about how they were playing down to the competition and Jordan had to run. This has been posted before as an example.

Again I liked JJ as well. I never felt he was a good x's and o's coach but he could recruit and run a winning team. Never enough to get over the hump but he did a lot for our program. I do think Benford can continue to build on that even after a failed first season. If things go this way again next season then I will be all for Lundy getting the chance. I thin he also has the players respect and would be an excellent candidate.

• Upvote 1