The next Paul George may come from North Texas

Harry

In case you forgot about Tony Mitchell, he is still playing college basketball. This isn't a slam on Mitchell, rather to state the obvious - he is off the map. And for those of you who do know who Mitchell is, he told me on Wednesday he is not sure if he will turn pro after North Texas' basketball season ends.

Bet hard that he will, and that even after an ish second season at North Texas his background and atleticism say he can still be a high draft pick. His game, athleticism, and background look very similar to Indiana Pacrers All-Star forward Paul George.

Stay with me on this.

Mitchell is 6-foot-8, 235 and can jump.

George is 6-foot-8, 221 and can jump.

No one knew who Paul George was when he left Fresno State, and now he is on the verge of becoming a franchise player for the Indiana Pacers..

George (6-8, 221) was the 10th overall pick in the 2010 NBA draft. He, like Mitchell, played two college seasons, both at Fresno State. In his second year at FSU, the Bulldogs finished 15-18; George averaged 16.8 points and 7.2 rebounds. Paul George was a second-team all conference player.

Read more: http://sportsblogs.star-telegram.com/mac-engel/2013/03/the-next-paul-george-may-come-from-north-texas.html

Offensively, I think Shawn Marion is a good comparison. With a good point guard, Tony could get three or four buckets a game just based on his athleticism cutting to the basket and running the break. Marion is way ahead of him defensively, though. Tony's never going to be known as a shut down defender.

• Upvote 1

Except Paul George could score better in college. I don't even see Tony's defense being that great. He looks above average playing in the Belt, just wait for better competition. I love Tony and wish him nothing but the best but I just don't see him ever reaching Paul George results - prove me wrong Tony.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

I do believe he will play better once he leaves the belt because competition will better. I believe this because 1. He probably won't be doubled and tripled teamed 2. He will have better players around him ( not a knock on our players ). But here is to two more years of tony.

If he stays and play another year at unt to develope on both ends he might. He is a defensive beast in college basketball but in the NBA he will beplaying a completely different position. Lebron and Melo will run all over him for a while.

There is no way that Mitchell stays here after this season ends. His stock has already taken a good hit.

If he stays and play another year at unt to develope on both ends he might. He is a defensive beast in college basketball but in the NBA he will beplaying a completely different position. Lebron and Melo will run all over him for a while.

Another year to develop, at this rate?

• Upvote 1