North Texas Injuries compared to Utah State's

Harry

This year, there have been 77 games missed by five of the Aggies’ top players — and 105 if you count Jardine, who would’ve played this season if not for a career-ending foot surgery. It’s hard to imagine a team in the country more beset by physical afflictions.

"It’s been a strange one," said coach Stew Morrill, now in his 27th year as a head coach. "I’ve never seen anything like it in all the years I’ve been in coaching, that’s for sure."

A perusal of a USA Today list of injuries across the Division I landscape reveals that Utah State is in a rather exclusive category of teams ravaged by health issues. Putting aside programs with suspended or ineligible players, there are really only two that compare.

North Texas coach Tony Benford, for example, might have a legitimate claim for most injury-prone team in America. His Mean Green Eagles have lost 78 games and five players this year.

It’s hard to forget the ill omen that kicked off the year, when his 3-point sharpshooter Brandan Walton broke his foot on an early possession against Creighton. Since then, it’s unfolded into a 12-19 season for a program that was expected to win its division in the Sun Belt Conference.

Read more: http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/sports/55963997-77/aggies-state-season-butterfield.html.csp

Seems pretty factual to me. I do believe that injuries are a factor in how one's season turns out. Ask any coach...pretty sure they will say that injuries play a role in any team sport. I think the majority of those who watch sports carefully would also agree that injuries play a role in how ones season goes on a year-by-year basis. I believe if you would ask the players on any team at any level you would also find that they feel injuries can play a big role in how the season turns out for their team as well. Especially in those teams where players cannot just be "brought in" from practice squads or other trades with other teams to fill the gaps.

But, I guess if one feels that players are all the same and completely interchangeable, then, you might argure that injuries don't matter. If so, why the all-star and all-conference teams in the first place? All players would be the same, right? Damn the injuries, full speed ahead!

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

Even with the loss of Walton we should be able to beat a D-2, and then UTA and UL-LA at home with Chris, Jordan, Tony, Roger, and Alzee.

Or a split with ULM? Just a split. Injuries, y'know.

Also, it feels relevant to point out that devastating injury problems have limited Utah State to a mere 19 wins. Not 19 losses.

Excuses. I said it would happen when CJ got hurt.

Benford and those around him will use this as an excuse. These injuries are the worst thing that could have happened to this program. They give Benford a weak ass excuse and give us fans at least 2 more years of inferior coaching.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

Excuses. I said it would happen when CJ got hurt. Benford and those around him will use this as an excuse.

A writer for The Salt Lake Tribune is one of "those around" Benson who is using "this as an excuse". Seriously, you believe that?

Edited by MCMLXXX
  • Upvote 2

A writer for The Salt Lake Tribune is one of "those around" Benson who is using "this as an excuse". Seriously, you believe that?

Don't be silly.

A writer for the Salt Lake Tribune knows nothing about UNT. He just looks at an injury report and goes off of that.

But that won't stop some from making this terrible excuse for this team and pointing to this article as support for this terrible excuse.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Mississippi State. Last night, Rick Ray sent me a text message that simply said, “Can’t make this up. Jalen Steele tore his ACL last night. That’s FOUR season ending knee injuries.” I know you think your favorite team has endured tough times in 2012-13. But I don’t think any team in the country has matched Mississippi State’s situation. Still, MSU’s fan base will feast on last weekend’s win against Ole Miss for months.

• Upvote 1

Utah State was in Arlington last week to play the Mavs. For team with as many guys injured and playing new positions, they're still very good. They only played 7 guys, 8 total on the bench. And with all those injuries, they're still a 19-20 win team. If they had any depth, they'd be a 24-win team and probably a sweet 16.

I guess you could lay this season at the loss of Walton. I guess you could assume that he would have been one of only 2 players on the team to not regress or all of a sudden start reading their press clippings or become a disciple problem. I guess you could assume that he would have been the savior. I guess?

• Upvote 1

I guess you could lay this season at the loss of Walton. I guess you could assume that he would have been one of only 2 players on the team to not regress or all of a sudden start reading their press clippings or become a disciple problem. I guess you could assume that he would have been the savior. I guess?

Yes, Walton will lead us to the CUSA crown next year!

LOL!

Walton's a part... CJ had a disappointing year. Coleman was a project and how he was named the teams most improved player I still don't get...

I would love to have our basketball experts put the Benford case aside and provide their honest assessment of what this team needs from a personnel standpoint to improve.

Walton's a part... CJ had a disappointing year. Coleman was a project and how he was named the teams most improved player I still don't get...

I would love to have our basketball experts put the Benford case aside and provide their honest assessment of what this team needs from a personnel standpoint to improve.

By experts, I know you don't mean me, but I'll give it a go. :-)

Walton has to return healthy and shoot at least 40% from 3 point range.

Overlander has to show he has got something , anything from outside and that he can defend at this level. I really hope this happens as I know he was at just about every home game as a fan.

We need to fill the last 2 schollies with someone that can shoot the damn ball from outside and a 6'9" or above shot blocker/defender (good luck with that).

How we fill the last 2 spots will tell us loads about the future of this program and Coach Benford. The fact that we haven't filled those at this point is not good news for the future of the program.

Tony is gone. Those that think he is sticking around are delusional. We need to find his replacement.

This is assuming that we don't have any players leave the program at the end of the semester, which is a huge assumption.

I know you said separate Bemford from the future of this program, but that really isn't possible.

I'll bite, though I am no expert either:

I think this roster is filled with the personal we were supposed to have.

Coleman was supposed to be the big man that allowed TM to roam a little bit, not sit on the inside.

Walton and Overlander were supposed to be our outside threats.

I think a lot of specifics can be sorted out depending on TM's decision, but it can be safe to say we need those roles (inside presence and outside threat) filled. Be it by current guys that haven't lived up, or bringing someone in.