"Catholic 7" to keep Big East name, MSG

10Eagle10

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/bigeast/2013/03/04/catholic-seven-7-negotiations/1963671/

- there is $100 million in exit fees in the current league fund

Cincy, UConn, USF to get the lion's share (45-60%)

"Catholic 7" to get around 20-40%

Temple, SMU, UCF, Memphis, cougar high..and possibly tulane, East Carolina getting around $1.5-2 mil ea

- the basketball tournament will most likely be played at UConn in 2014

- split will be effective July 2013

I really hope the admin at Tulsa is intelligent and remains in CUSA to grow the brand. There is no brand in the "hodgepodge whatever 8+(1+1)+1" There is a reason noone wants Temple, UConn and as West VA is finding out, constant travel is not all that its cracked up to be. I can see UMass getting that 12th football spot and remaining in the A-10 for the rest. If that happens, win-win for us.

• Upvote 1

I think that UMass would be the choice of the power schools, UConn and Cincy...

They are already talking about the basketball tourney being in Hartford so you know UMass would bring a lot more interest there than Tulsa...

It will boil down to academics likely...of course Tulsa wants to be academically tied to Tulane, SMU etc... but what about Rice?

I think we are ok either way. Of course I want Tulsa to stay. But, if Tulsa leaves we have several good programs that may have a bigger upside than Tulsa does.

exactly! Rice is one of only 60 AAU schools in the country. When Pitt and Rutgers leave, that will leave the new big hodgepodge 8+ (1+1) +1 with only 1...Tulane. CUSA will have just as many elite institutions and better regionality.

Looking at a map of the new conference in 2014-2015, you have UCF-USF, SMU-UH, and Cincy-Memphis (somewhat). That leaves leaves three without the real regional rival - Temple (which is just happy to be there), Tulane (relatively close to the Texas two), and UCONN. The "football only" members will be ECU and Navy. Annapolis is "close" to Philly so Navy/Temple can pair off as rivals and Tulane/ECU entering together can be considered a possible pair. Seems like UCONN is up there by themselves..

An argument could be made for Tulane needed a rival, cue Tulsa; but the map seems a tad bit skewed to the south and southwest from UConn's point of view. I bet you're right. UMass is probably getting a lot of push from the elder statesmen in all of this. UMass-UConn just kinda makes sense, especially if UConn "gives their word" that they aren't shopping their wares to the ACC

• Upvote 1