Men's Bracket

CMJ

IFFFF we're were to knock off the top team it would be early on in the tournament.

Not at the end with all our guys playing so many min.

We get the "tune up" game or the "put us out of misery" against ULL.

Don't forget. MUTS got knocked off early last year, it could happen again.

I wanna see our seniors win more than Benford.

Go Mean Green!

• Upvote 1

What was UALR's seed when Bozeman beat us two finals ago?

Grrr that game killed me. Up by two with a few seconds, against a team that was killing you with three's all game long. Foul, make him shoot two. Worst case senario is you're tied with the last shot.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 5

Don't sweat it. The immature kids have finally bought into the awesomeness of the rookie coach...cake walk. Right CurveItAround?

That was certainly tongue in cheek, but recently just shows the potential when these kids really put forth the effort for an entire game and what could have been all season long.

I certainly don't attribute the recent improvement to Benford suddenly becoming that much better if a coach...

• Upvote 1

Grrr that game killed me. Up by two with a few seconds, against a team that was killing you with three's all game long. Foul, make him shoot two. Worst case senario is you're tied with the last shot.

I have never once seen someone advocate fouling when up 2 before now.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Getting MTSU in their 1st game of the tournament is exactly when you want to get them if you have to get them.

WIth MTSU's history in Hot Springs, maybe we could get lucky?

If we can find a way to beat that juggernaut LaLa, that is.

Hopefully the MTSU men's team keep up their Hot Springs tradition of going out late to bars the night before games

• Upvote 1

That was certainly tongue in cheek, but recently just shows the potential when these kids really put forth the effort for an entire game and what could have been all season long.

I certainly don't attribute the recent improvement to Benford suddenly becoming that much better if a coach...

I doubt he has gotten better too, but it would be hard for him (or anyone else) to get worse.
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Wow. Our record this season against those four teams in our half of the bracket is 1-7. But, we have turned it around as of late, so hopefully we can continue our hot streak. GMG!

Old coach cliche: it is very hard to beat the same team thrice in the same season.

God I hope that holds true.

• 2 weeks later...

So, I got back to Los Angeles this morning. After unpacking and getting back in the swing of things, I took a gander at all of the threads I missed out on while I was at the Belt Tournament. First off some quick thoughts from Hot Springs.

1. We had a great (and fairly enthusiastic) crowd for the ULL game considering our season was a dumpster fire. Other than the usual suspects (the Arkansas schools and MTSU) I think we may have brought the most fans intially. WKU continued to have folks come into town though and had a large contingent by the Final.

2. We didn't get many calls in our game. Actually we did and didn't....they called way more fouls on ULL than us, but Marlin had their defense hacking and grabing at us nearly every possession, almost daring the refs to call every infraction. CJ especially got manhandled at times. To take advantage of all the fouls we DID rack up we needed to shoot better than 50% from the line.

3. FIU plays DAMN good defense. Baby Pitino will not be there long with his family name and obvious coaching skill.

4. The pedgree of WKU is almost on a magical level. They should have lost in both the quarters AND semis. Seriously, they were on the ropes in both (hell they were trailing in both with under a minute to go!) and somehow pulled the games out. Winning is just in their DNA. Their end of game press was as intense as any I have seen in person. They just SWARMED.

5. I will miss the Hot Springs experience. I'll hopefully make it to El Paso next year, but I am not sure it'll be as fun a tournament host.

Thoughts on Benford, RV, and the rest to come.

Edited by CMJ
  • Upvote 1