ULL or Ark. St.?

Harry

LA LA because if we have to choose one, it is a lot more fun than Jonesboro and spouses who do not care about football should be more easily enticed to go there. It really is a fun place especially during the festival they have in the fall.

Neither of teams would grow the CUSA market.

I'd rather CUSA take Georgia State for the market potential.

C-USA has taken on way too many new moveups and startups as it is. No way. And Georgia State has nowhere near the potential of Charlotte and Old Dominion.

http://atlanta.sbnation.com/2012/9/26/3412084/2012-georgia-state-football-attendance

• Upvote 4

Pluses and minuses for both. I'm abstaining from voting because, for me, it would really be a toss-up between the two.

WKU wasn't an option, or I would lean towards them simply because they are competitive in every single sport... check the Bubas standings.

I really just hope that Tulsa sticks with us and we don't need to make any more changes.

• Upvote 2

Neither of teams would grow the CUSA market.

I'd rather CUSA take Georgia State for the market potential.

There are over 4 million people living within a three hour drive of Arkansas State and the only gang of 5 in that area is Memphis, purveyors of grand football. The only gang of 5 within 300 miles are: Memphis, ULM, La.Tech (299 miles).

If that's not a new market for CUSA, what is?

Arkansas State gets about as much coverage in Little Rock as Tulsa gets in Tulsa and Little Rock is a larger market. You consider Tulsa a loss but they had half as many people in the stands for the CUSA title game as ASU had for an all the marbles game against MTSU the same day. Jonesboro is a larger TV market than presumptive pick WKU.

There are over 4 million people living within a three hour drive of Arkansas State and the only gang of 5 in that area is Memphis, purveyors of grand football. The only gang of 5 within 300 miles are: Memphis, ULM, La.Tech (299 miles).

If that's not a new market for CUSA, what is?

Arkansas State gets about as much coverage in Little Rock as Tulsa gets in Tulsa and Little Rock is a larger market. You consider Tulsa a loss but they had half as many people in the stands for the CUSA title game as ASU had for an all the marbles game against MTSU the same day. Jonesboro is a larger TV market than presumptive pick WKU.

To me, WKU is still head and shoulders above ASU or ULL. Much better overall athletic program, athletic budget and a rich basketball tradition.

• Upvote 1

I have great respect for both ASU and ULL, especially considering what they have each accomplished in recent years. I slightly favor ULL, though I could see a case being made either way. Jonesboro is only about an hour from Memphis; Lafayette is just over two hours from New Orleans. However, CUSA may really want to retain a foothold in southern Louisiana rather than build a brand in a new territory--though LSU will always command primary attention anyway. I suppose that approach depends upon their marketing strategy, but it is also important to note that Lafayette holds a huge advantage in terms of combined metropolitan statistical population (about 550,000 to 160,000). Both are great college towns that support their teams, so local population may not be a significant factor. Regarding attendance, they have both done well in recent years, as one would assume. ASU averaged about 4,000 more in home football attendance for 2012, but ULL had about 8,000 more per home game in 2011. In men's basketball home attendance last year ULL came out ahead with 3,566 vs. 2,815 for ASU. Just for the sake of comparison, UNT and WKU averaged 4,006 and 3,993 respectively.

All of that is somewhat of a wash, but I think ULL may hold one additional trump card over ASU (or UNT for that matter): they were never IAA/FCS. As far as general perception, one could consider ULL to at least APPEAR to be the more established program.

I really don't see what would be that great for Tulsa to have to change to a conference that currently has no name and will get barely make anymore money to break even after doing exit/entrance fees

Avoiding the clinging stentch of Belt teams MTSU, FIU, FAU, and UNT (yes, UNT) may be enough incentive for Tulsa to follow better thought of programs like Houston and SMU to the Big East.

Perception is reality, and you are judged by the company you keep, after all.

I have great respect for both ASU and ULL, especially considering what they have each accomplished in recent years. I slightly favor ULL, though I could see a case being made either way. Jonesboro is only about an hour from Memphis; Lafayette is just over two hours from New Orleans. However, CUSA may really want to retain a foothold in southern Louisiana rather than build a brand in a new territory--though LSU will always command primary attention anyway. I suppose that approach depends upon their marketing strategy, but it is also important to note that Lafayette holds a huge advantage in terms of combined metropolitan statistical population (about 550,000 to 160,000). Both are great college towns that support their teams, so local population may not be a significant factor. Regarding attendance, they have both done well in recent years, as one would assume. ASU averaged about 4,000 more in home football attendance for 2012, but ULL had about 8,000 more per home game in 2011. In men's basketball home attendance last year ULL came out ahead with 3,566 vs. 2,815 for ASU. Just for the sake of comparison, UNT and WKU averaged 4,006 and 3,993 respectively.

All of that is somewhat of a wash, but I think ULL may hold one additional trump card over ASU (or UNT for that matter): they were never IAA/FCS. As far as general perception, one could consider ULL to at least APPEAR to be the more established program.

If having never been I-AA matters then ULL trumps UNT, UTSA, La.Tech, WKU, MTSU, ODU, Charlotte, Marshall, FIU, and FAU.