Is UNT "One Player Away" ?

UNTDude

Is UNT one player away from a noticeable level of improvement? I will admit I haven’t suffered the long term
UNT frustration most are going through, but I am a University of Kansas grad so
I do understand football futility. Last year’s UNT’s core group of players had
the ability to look respectable verse LSU and played really well against Kansas
State. Curious to hear thoughts on
would a Lance Dunbar type player being on last year’s team provided a 7-8 win
team? Would a player of TY Hilton’s
ability have a significant impact on next year’s team?

I recall reading about the “Flutie Effect” on BC’s rise in applications
for enrollment, donations, ticket sales and overall brand following 1983
Heisman Trophy year. In recent time I
look at Cam Newton at Auburn and what Johnny Football has done at Texas
A&M.

There is no doubt that the Johnny effect will bolster TAMU’s
recruiting pipeline for the next few years as well as (ticket & merchandise
sales, alumni donations, etc.)…lord knows it’s improved their athletic programs
brand.

I personally see improvement between the Dodge and MAC
programs…. I’m hoping UNT is that “one” player away from making a significant difference.

• Upvote 2

The best defense is a good offense....or is it the best offense is a good defense?

I dont see a problem with our offense!! Honestly this years offense is going to help our defense. By staying on the field running behind that HUGE offensive line the clock is going to be rolling. Keeping that other team off the field and out of rhythm.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

with the addition of the Juco tackle and juco TE yeah i do think our offense will be just fine. Going to a pass happy conference the linebackers are not going to be as comfortable fighting off Lineman and TE's that are as big as lineman..

Plus another year for our backs to get stronger faster etc....

With 3 returning starters from the same line and several guys who saw time last year...

with the addition of the Juco tackle and juco TE yeah i do think our offense will be just fine. Going to a pass happy conference the linebackers are not going to be as comfortable fighting off Lineman and TE's that are as big as lineman..

Plus another year for our backs to get stronger faster etc....

Again, my worry is not the line. My worry is actual production. We scored 20.9 points per game, #105 in FBS.

Again, my worry is not the line. My worry is actual production. We scored 20.9 points per game, #105 in FBS.

The threat of us running the ball being more efficient there will open up our passing game. Making it much more easier for Thompson/Berglund.

Also hopefully more playaction on first and second down. That was something that was very frustrating watching the games this year

The threat of us running the ball being more efficient there will open up our passing game. Making it much more easier for Thompson/Berglund.

Also hopefully more playaction on first and second down. That was something that was very frustrating watching the games this year

I think you've got it backwards here. We need a threat of an effective passing game to take the pressure off of the run game. Teams loaded up the box last year and dared us to throw. Either Thompson's lack of accuracy or our WR's inability to run a proper route, probably a little of both, killed us.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

If the goal is 7 wins then, yeah ... A good quarterback would make a huge difference.

I don't think we even need a good QB to get 7 wins. We need an average one. One that won't toss the ball 20 yards over WRs heads into the stands when you need a TD.

That was my "Derek Thompson play of infamy"

Edited by meangreener
  • Upvote 3

Wow. I mean our line's been pretty good, but are you aware of what our offense did against Troy? And most of last season?

We outgained them 422-382 yards that game. Problem was when we got down to the red zone, where the throwing windows are tight, we couldn't score and our kickers were 0-3. Also our quarterback was 12-28 that game.