MeanGreen61

North Texas

Non-Conference Games: Idaho, at Ohio, Ball State, at Georgia
Games Against the East: Middle Tennessee, at Southern Miss
Realistic Best Case Record: 6-6
Worst Case Record: 1-11
Likely Finish: 2-10

Pre-Preseason Projected Wins: Idaho, UTSA

Pre-Preseason Projected Losses: at Ohio, Ball State, at Georgia, at Tulane, Middle Tennessee, at Louisiana Tech, at Southern Miss, Rice, UTEP, at Tulsa

Summary: The Mean Green should be better, but the record probably won’t show it unless they can handle a few 50/50 games at home. Middle Tennessee, Ball State and UTEP could all go either way, and UNT needs to win them all with a run of four road games in five and finishing up the regular season with a trip to Tulsa. The late part of the season is helped by not having any November road games until the finale, but there can’t be any mistakes. Throw in away games at Ohio, Georgia and Louisiana Tech, and Idaho and UTSA become must wins.

2013 Schedule
8/31 Idaho
9/7 at Ohio
9/14 Ball State
9/21 at Georgia
9/28 OPEN DATE
10/5 at Tulane
10/12 Middle Tennessee
10/19 at Louisiana Tech
10/26 at Southern Miss
11/2 Rice
11/9 UTEP
11/16 OPEN DATE
11/23 UTSA
11/30 at Tulsa

http://cfn.scout.com/2/1267191.html

• Upvote 1

Most fans never really want to believe their favorite team will finish under .500. As a result at least half of this board was predicting the same 6 win season for Dodge in his fourth, despite all the evidence in the first 3 seasons of his coaching career here.

Edited by GoMeanGreen1999
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I think that's a little on the negative side. I see anwhere from 4-8 wins depending on QB play and what kind of team shows up for us (which I guess is sort of a duh comment). If the disaster does happen and we get only two wins does McCarney come back for year 4? Would we even have the money for that after we buy out Benford?

I think that's a little on the negative side. I see anwhere from 4-8 wins depending on QB play and what kind of team shows up for us (which I guess is sort of a duh comment). If the disaster does happen and we get only two wins does McCarney come back for year 4? Would we even have the money for that after we buy out Benford?

I can't imagine we'd bring McCarney back if we only win two games next year, but this is UNT so conventional thinking doesn't apply

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

If Thompson starts, this is possible. I don't see it. Mac went 5-7 with the terrible 2011 team. Transfers will be huge. Predictions from these places are poor because they don't do much research into the situation (i.e. Berglund starting). I stand by my prediction of 7-5. There's too much talent for 2-10.

Edited by meangreener
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Mac will be here for his 4th season I believe no matter what happens this year. If Dodge was given a 4th one after his first 3, no way you don't bring Mac back for his fourth.

• Upvote 2

I'll hate myself by the end of the season, but I had us winning against Idaho, Tulane, S. Miss, UTEP, and UTSA. That's 5. With a 50-50 shot against Ohio and/or Rice, we should win 6 or 7.

Pass the green Kool-ade please.

GO MEAN GREEN

You need to reconsider the Rice game. Check out what they did last year and who they have returning. The only thing that gives us even a glimmer of hope in this game is that it is at Apogee.

Ohio is much the same, except we play them on the road. That one is a loss.

• Upvote 1

College football changes drastically from year to year. Trying to look at the previous years records and determine what wins you'll have based on that is too simple. Basically everyone thinks they will be better, so if you look at your record compared to last year's records for teams on the schedule sprinkle in some home/away magic dust and then make a prediction. It just doesn't work. Here was last years pre-season AP poll followed by the end of season ranking in bold.

1. Southern Cal - NR

2. Alabama - 1

3. LSU - 14

4. Oklahoma - 15

5. Oregon - 2

6. Georgia - 5

7. Florida St. - 10

8. Michigan - 24

9. South Carolina - 8

10. Arkansas - NR

11. West Virginia - NR

12. Wisconsin - NR

13. Michigan St. - NR

14. Clemson - 11

15. Texas - 19

16. Virginia Tech - NR

17. Nebraska - 25

18. Ohio St. - 3

19. Oklahoma St. - NR

20. TCU - NR

21. Stanford - 7

22. Kansas St. - 12

23. Florida - 9

24. Boise St. - 18

25. Louisville- 13

32% of the pre-season top 25 weren't even ranked at the end of the year. And of those that were unranked, only 3 of the 8 teams even got votes. That is hard to do since basically these are all big schools that just by playing each other rack up points.

This is what makes it fun. I'm not going to stress out about it. I hope we can get to a bowl game, and can see a way there with a dual threat QB in Berglund. Hopefully that comes true.

"The Mean Green should be better, but...................."

I am so sick of the above................ I want to see WINS and not a string of lame excuses for loses. To me this is a pivotal year for Coach Mac. He needs to put some W's on the scoreboard, or we need to shop for a new coach. Losing and mediocre seasons need to become a thing of the past at North Texas. I have no more patience for poor performance and excuses.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Another way to look at the CFN pre-season, spring prediction is...

There are only two guaranteed wins on the schedule (Idaho, UTSA), and there is only one guaranteed loss (GA) everything else is going to be a fight.

But isn't that want you want as a fan? Don't you want to see your team come out ahead in these 50/50 games?

Edited by shaft
  • Upvote 2

You need to reconsider the Rice game. Check out what they did last year and who they have returning. The only thing that gives us even a glimmer of hope in this game is that it is at Apogee.

Ohio is much the same, except we play them on the road. That one is a loss.

I am not writing off game against Ohio. Sure, they went 9-4, but four wins game against teams with a combined 5-43 record and three other wins came against teams with losing records. Yes, they won at State College in the season opener against a still shocked Penn State team. And yes, they beat an inconsistent ULM team in a bowl game. Point is that 9-4 record is not as impressive as it looks.