Rice Game vs, UNT on Halloween - National TV!

CaliMeanGreen

Am I the only one that thinks this is a bad idea...

Im not a parent, but how would you tell your kid that youre going to watch a football game instead of trick or treating...

I think the attendance will be like a thanksgiving weekend game

Pretty much my thoughts as well. I'd be suprised if this weren't one of the lower attended games of the season. You're also cutting out the amount of Rice fans that might have driven up on the weekend.

I don't want to come of as overly negative as I realize you can't pass up any opportunity for a nationally televised home game... Seems we just got a bit unlucky with this one.

Pretty much my thoughts as well. I'd be suprised if this weren't one of the lower attended games of the season. You're also cutting out the amount of Rice fans that might have driven up on the weekend.

I don't want to come of as overly negative as I realize you can't pass up any opportunity for a nationally televised home game... Seems we just got a bit unlucky with this one.

We just cannot count on the opposition's fans to come to Apogee. Ever. We have to focus on our own fans. I think if you make it a big deal (Pre-game trick-or-treating and other festivities, kids get in-costume get in free with a paid ticket for the parents, or even a discounted rate for the parents) then you can maybe bring some Denton area fans who wouldn't otherwise come, in place of the Rice fans. And the Denton area fans may actually come back.

Who knows... right now, this is all just a rumor.

Am I the only one that thinks this is a bad idea...

Im not a parent, but how would you tell your kid that youre going to watch a football game instead of trick or treating...

I think the attendance will be like a thanksgiving weekend game

As long as we having a solid record going into the game, attendance will be fine. Not as good if it were on Saturday, but that's the price you pay for playing on National TV.
  • Upvote 1

Who is the conference USA tv deal with ? Are we talking espn- like a espn2 or espnU game here ?

Questions...questions...questions...patience grasshopper, patience...all things in due time. There has been no offical announcement that the game is actually even on TV or that it has, in fact, been moved to Oct. 31st as yet to my knowledge. Keeping fingers crossed.

That being said...come on ESPN!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Here's an excerpt from the script to their UNT show in 2008:

Announcer:

Of course, we'd like to recognize the wonderful folks from U-N-T. Did you know that they have the largest school of music in the country? They provide thousands of graduates whose talent and creativity allows them to truly serve our community.

So, the next time you meet a North Texas grad, please remember to tip your waiter.

You know, that was just salt to the wound that still hasn't healed from that massacre in Houston. Losing to Texas 77-20 is awful, but at least you get paid well for it. Losing 77-20 to Rice, in my opinion, is the low point of this program since we moved back up to FBS competion in 1995.

• Upvote 3

We play at Southern Mississippi on Saturday the 26th. That will have to be rescheduled if we expect to play on the 29th. Without seeing Southern Mississippi's schedule, this would have to be November 16.

We won't be playing on the 29th, this is about the Rice game being moved to the Thursday October 31 which is Halloween. Rice has a game on the 26th as well, the conference is not going to change Rice's nor our game.

• Upvote 1

college football SATURDAYS are precious to me and the thought of having 6 of them this season makes my tailgaiting pants go crazy.

nobody showed up for ULL until deep into the afternoon and apogee was so empty in the 4th quarter the cameramen didn't even point to the crowd for touchdown reactions.

i'm not a fan of this idea or having to use one of my few vacation days to try and enjoy it.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

One of my great fears of going to CUSA is that more TV exposure in a mid-level conference means more weeknight games, which I will never attend at least until the child is graduated and moved out. Oh well, if it comes to pass, I suppose it's for the greater good, but for purely selfish reasons, I'm not a fan if it happens.

We won't be playing on the 29th, this is about the Rice game being moved to the Thursday October 31 which is Halloween. Rice has a game on the 26th as well, the conference is not going to change Rice's nor our game.

My bad, my eyes gravitated to my birthday on the calendar - the 29th. Old habit.

I actually think the student turnout would be EXTREMELY high if it would be made out to be a big costume party.

And if enough publicity comes out about any trick-or-treating opportunities for little kids (re: send fliers to all DentonISD & surrounding area elementary schools to put in the kids' take-home folders or something with discounts for tickets), then I think the other seats will do well too as parents will bring their kids out to trick-or-treat at Apogee, and hopefully stay for the game.

I think I would rather not be on Halloween, national TV or not. I think we could see attendance issues, but I also worry that the TV exposure would not be as good.

I think many males will be handing candy distribution and those TV games can be a nice diversion.