UNT paying pretty large guarantee for Idaho

NT03

They paid a lot but let me say I think this is a good move. You have a beatable division I opponent at home to start an important season in front of the home crowd. In 2001 we opened against TCU and lost 15-9...I'm guessing we didn't pay them 400k for that! BTW 2001 was the season we opened with TCU Oklahoma Texas Tech and a salty South Florida squad before losing the infamous "bus" game on the road against Monroe to go 0-5...rebounding to make it to our first bowl in 50 years...

But back to my point, 400K seems like a lot but for it to be our first season/home opener in 12 years speaks volumes! It would be interesting to see what we had to pay Tex Southern last year.

Ummm... how is paying half a payout a large guarantee?

Anything under $500,000 for a 1 & done is a bargin in today's college football market.

A better scheduling plan would have saved this school 400k.tou know, like getting at least a 2 for 1 against Iowa. Lets not forget we were scrambling to fill this hole in the schedule with a 1 and done because we had no slots for a 1 and 1 due to a very poor sxheduling plan by the AD. I do credit the AD for fixing a problem that they created, though.

But it's 400k that could have been put to use in a better place.

Oh, and ULM just signed a one and one with Wake Forest.

That's right. ULM.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

I admit I was hoping we had paid more in the 300-350k range... but Idaho probably had a lot of people asking for them to drop by and could thus choose I am sure it was a sellers market.

Having said that we do pay a premiuim because they are FBS which makes the thing more legit (even if some FCS teams are probably better than them).

I am sure Idaho collects a lot of money this season for all those non-conference games they could sell as an independent.

It makes it almost seem as if the surest way to finance your program is beeing really bad in FBS and selling your away games at a premium :money: , while being just somewhat bad is financially troublesome :nurse:

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 1

A better scheduling plan would have saved this school 400k.tou know, like getting at least a 2 for 1 against Iowa. Lets not forget we were scrambling to fill this hole in the schedule with a 1 and done because we had no slots for a 1 and 1 due to a very poor sxheduling plan by the AD. I do credit the AD for fixing a problem that they created, though.

But it's 400k that could have been put to use in a better place.

Oh, and ULM just signed a one and one with Wake Forest.

That's right. ULM.

I think the idea was to get an win to start the season at home...I have no interest in going back to Idaho

Wake is not a high probability win and for your opener you don't want to take chances.

The more I consider it, 400K is not that much.

I think the idea was to get an win to start the season at home...I have no interest in going back to Idaho

Wake is not a high probability win and for your opener you don't want to take chances.

The more I consider it, 400K is not that much.

Now it's up to promotions to get out and sell this game and get butts in the seats. I've said this before, it's far easier to sell "THE University of Idaho" as an opponent, than Texas Southern.

Now it's up to promotions to get out and sell this game and get butts in the seats. I've said this before, it's far easier to sell "THE University of Idaho" as an opponent, than Texas Southern.

Personally I prefer the story that going into the first home game UNDEFEATED will be what sells. But in any way: we agree it's up to promotions

Now it's up to promotions to get out and sell this game and get butts in the seats.

Not likely to happen. As Emmitt was told by the AD Department last year when he tried to help... "It's the first game of the season...it's a Self-Promotor"

Besides, we have "Structure" now, and a lot of it. It's just that to me,...if Idaho was bought and brought in for a Confidence Builder I simply pray it goes better than the Tx Southern game went last season.

Here's to the Mean Green kicking their taters till it hurts.

Question: Will the famous "IDA-HO" make a return appearance?

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

This is the going rate for a non power conference school to buy a game from another non power conference school.

It's a good deal, it's a good sign that the program can afford it, and if we want to be "the next Boise St" we are going to have to get to a point where we can consistently afford 2 or even 3 of these games a year.

This isn't like NT is a perennial BCS bowl team playing some low level team for a paycheck game. NT had to PAY Idaho to come here? Not sure why.

"UNT is paying $410,000 to Idaho to make the trip."

If we are paying that much how about we get some D-1 AA team in here we can beat?

This is the going rate for a non power conference school to buy a game from another non power conference school.

It's a good deal, it's a good sign that the program can afford it, and if we want to be "the next Boise St" we are going to have to get to a point where we can consistently afford 2 or even 3 of these games a year.

How is more than your likely revenue for the whole game, and we are talking a sell out, something NT can afford?

This is about the equivalent of UT paying NT over $3M for a guarantee.

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 1

You know what?

This kinda sounds like UNT is on the road to the BIG TIME PROGRAM we want it to be. If you're complaining about paying this much money to ID, then you're probably one of the ones who also complained about the price increase of season tickets between Fouts and Apogee, and you probably have gobs of money stuffed under your mattress.

Or, you're one of those students who never attends any UNT sporting event because it's not cool.

Or, you're GL2G.

• Upvote 3

This isn't like NT is a perennial BCS bowl team playing some low level team for a paycheck game. NT had to PAY Idaho to come here? Not sure why.

Because we are not returning the game. We are buying a home game.

"UNT is paying $410,000 to Idaho to make the trip."

If we are paying that much how about we get some D-1 AA team in here we can beat?

Because Idaho is a FBS team we had better be able to beat.