Benford's Post Game Interview 2-7-13

realitycheck

I don’t know how many of you caught this but in Coach Benford’s post game interview tonight he said that (I am paraphrasing here) his goals for the rest of the season are to push the team hard, keep trying, and win a game or two. He may not have meant it the way it sounded but if his goal really is just to win another game or two for the rest of the season he should be fired now. If he didn’t mean it that way, he needs to find a much better way to state his goals for the rest of the year.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

I don’t know how many of you caught this but in Coach Benford’s post game interview tonight he said that (I am paraphrasing here) his goals for the rest of the season are to push the team hard, keep trying, and win a game or two. He may not have meant it the way it sounded but if his goal really is just to win another game or two for the rest of the season he should be fired now. If he didn’t mean it that way, he needs to find a much better way to state his goals for the rest of the year.

It's disturbing how much the standards have fallen throughout the course of a single season.

• Upvote 1

Bad news is that contrary to what I said before, we're not going to be able to buy him out.

Sigh . . . if this is true, then I suppose we have two or three hopeless seasons to look forward to. Ugh, I guess keeping fingers crossed for a six-win football season next year is about as good as it gets in Mean Green land.

• Upvote 1

Sigh . . . if this is true, then I suppose we have two or three hopeless seasons to look forward to. Ugh, I guess keeping fingers crossed for a six-win football season next year is about as good as it gets in Mean Green land.

If Coach Benford is back for two or three more seasons, we're going to need to get a decent coach with head coaching experience (i.e. we're going to have to spend some money) to replace him because the program will be in shambles by that point.

• Upvote 1

If Coach Benford is back for two or three more seasons, we're going to need to get a decent coach with head coaching experience (i.e. we're going to have to spend some money) to replace him because the program will be in shambles by that point.

We have already been rendered completely irrelevant even in just the Sun Belt West division. I can't imagine the results after two or three more years of this nonsense.

• Upvote 1

Hope that interview wasn't on Channel 21, because things are embarrassing enough as it is. I wonder who it is exactly that he thinks he can beat? I don't see it happening, because our opponents seem to be able to do anything they want on both ends of the court once they adjust to Benford's coaching. Sad.

I know. But there was actual hope to the contrary.

I want to tell you that I appreciated your hope and belief in your post about Benford being gone. Youth and common sense will tell you that North Texas SHOULD make changes like this. As you will see, this type of athletic leadership does not exist here. It really never has. We fire coaches when it is cost effective first, performance second. The BOR wouldn't let RV fire Dickey, supposedly, after we lost at ULM in 2001 to go 0-5 and his overall record as head coach at the time was 8 and 31. We let Todd Dodge come back to coach a 4th year of his 5-year contract after he had gone 5-31 in his previous 3 years. He promptly went 1-6 before getting fired. In hoops, we let Vic Trilli coach here for 4 years. He went 20-87, including a fine 4-24 record to reward us for giving him that extra year. We won't be firing Benford anytime soon. He will be here for a bare minimum of 2 more years, and the track record for UNT suggests that he will here for 3 more years.

As I posted a while back, we might be stuck with Benford for the next 2-3 years and having to still deal with a buyout at the end of this nightmare, but the guillotine should fall on RV. He made this hire, just as he did for Todd Dodge and Shanice Stephens. You can say others were involved in making those hires, but the fact is that they all occurred on his watch within the past 6 years. He gets a lot of credit around here for the tailgating and for faciliy upgrades, as he should since they also happened on his watch, but the on-field performance of your money sports in most of his time as AD has been awful in football and looks to heading back that way again in mens basketball. At almost any other school in the country that plays at the level we play at, with our size enrollment, would make a change or two in leadership to get things rolling in the right direction. As you have read, though, history tells all of us quite clearly that it doesn't work that way here. We just don't care about athletics enough to be a legitimate player in college sports. We love our music, arts, and education programs a lot here at UNT and in Denton. They don't cost too much to run. Its just too bad that they don't give your university a chance to bring in thousands of people at once to celebrate our school. But the university loves to talk "value", which is great on a lot fronts, but it reads as "cheap" to a lot of folks. And the proof in the pudding for that "value"-oriented approach is not running an athletic deaprtment anywhere near where it could or should be run.

• Upvote 3

I guess if Benford wins 10 games next year, he will be haled as building a program and probably get a contract extension.

Problem is the old adage "you only get once to make a first impression" is true. Benford will not be close to an effective recruiter, NT is lucky all the ships have been given assuming he does not lose players or chose to get rid of some more.

Too bad, the funds given for a practice facility and scoreboard can't be redirected for a pay out. Good AD's find a way to make changes. Of course, good AD's don't hire untested HC's and give them 5 year contracts to experiment with the most lauded NT team in history.

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 2

Hope that interview wasn't on Channel 21, because things are embarrassing enough as it is. I wonder who it is exactly that he thinks he can beat? I don't see it happening, because our opponents seem to be able to do anything they want on both ends of the court once they adjust to Benford's coaching. Sad.

I don't believe it was on Ch. 21, I heard it on KNTU.